Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Diet Questions?

wasamkins
Sign in to follow this  

Hi I recently had my lap band done (27 December 2010) and I was told what I could and couldn't eat from the doctor that did the lap band. But reading on here and looking at receipes its like everyone is doing the total opposite of what I am or will be doing. I was told we can't drink any milk (soy,lactose) or have anything related to milk or eat any sugar for the rest of our lives. Now how is that possible to avoid those two things when sugar is in everything. I can understand maybe limiting your sugar intake to 3g and under. But we are allowed to have: non fat cottage cheese, not fat cheese...okay there is milk in both of those so not sure or understand why we couldn't have milk. I want to do the right thing and eat the right items but am a bit confused. So does anyone suggest anything without milk based products or sugar?

I am in my 4 weeks of just liquid stage right now and figure I should be able to start my pureed food items on or around 31 January 2010.

I think I'd schedule an appt with the nutritionist that works with your doctor, because that IS confusing to not be allowed milk, yet non fat cottage cheese is allowed?

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the doctor is trying to steer you away from liquid calories. Yet a serving or two of non fat milk per day is often OK with other doctors to help us get our Calcium in.

Every single bariatric doctor is going to have slightly different ideas on how their patients should eat post-op. And not all plans will work with all patients. Seriously I'd go back and get clarification.

Good Luck. Glad you're getting to move to more solid food soon. I was back on regular food by two weeks. I can't imagine doing liquids for a month.

To me, the band is a tool to help control hunger and Portion Control. If I were able to cut out things for a lifetime I wouldn't have had this done. I think what is healthy, is to submit to a more healthy way of eating. On occasion, having a treat but always knowing this is 'our' battle. I know that once I reach my goal weight I still can NOT go back to eating as I was or I will weigh as much as I do. This is a journey to a new you, a new eating style and a completely different life style. IMHO, a doctor who says that has no idea what a person who has to lose weight is going through. I would say portions, exercise and moderation is the key to being sucessful. But thats just me :rolleyes:

I think I'd schedule an appt with the nutritionist that works with your doctor, because that IS confusing to not be allowed milk, yet non fat cottage cheese is allowed?

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the doctor is trying to steer you away from liquid calories. Yet a serving or two of non fat milk per day is often OK with other doctors to help us get our Calcium in.

Every single bariatric doctor is going to have slightly different ideas on how their patients should eat post-op. And not all plans will work with all patients. Seriously I'd go back and get clarification.

Good Luck. Glad you're getting to move to more solid food soon. I was back on regular food by two weeks. I can't imagine doing liquids for a month.

Hi thanks for your comment. The doctor that I went to is in 3 cities away from me so there is no one local to go to. But I have been reading the packet of info he gave us and I should be able to do this. I don't mind the liquid diet so much I have to be on it for a full 4 weeks and then the next 4 weeks are pureed food and liquids. I don't know about the whole blending everything to a consistency of almost like liquid that will be in a challenge in itself. The thought of blending turkey makes me want gag but if it has to be it has to be. After those 4 weeks of liquids/pureed food then I will start my 4 weeks of small meals. I took on this responsability to get healthier and lose the weight so I am going on with it no turning back now. Besides I don't want to waste the insurance companies money they spent for me to have this done.

Its not so much of the milk I can't have I don't even like milk enough to just drink it, I only used it in Cereal. But I do have to say I have seen improvements since before this and after this procedure: I don't have any acid reflux attacks, upset stomach issues nor do I have uncontrolable belching, and I lost some weight 12 pounds to be exact since I started my 10 day liquid diet before the operation and just after it. So that is something to be proud of. I haven't weighed this much since last year so its an inprovement.

bwhitty, Ya know I agree with you 100%! I hope I am not rationalizing things but if I could have stayed on a low cal or low carb diet for any length of time I would not have had to go to such extremes as surgery. I too am concentrating on Portion Control, eating healthy foods, having just a bite of things that are not so healthy, and exercising each day. My weight is coming off slowly, I will admit, but this is for life not another "diet"<br><br>

I wonder if the doctor is saying no milk because they are concerned someone will drink whole milk with chocolate Syrup and have ice cream sundays (Please note I'm not saying you plan to do that). Like another poster mentioned perhaps they want to discurage liquid calories which is what most lap band doctors do. I am not a milk drinker either. One of my own person demons is Cereal with and without milk. It seems to me that many bandsters don't have regular cereal with milk. Cornn flakey type cereal is going to be high in carbs and low in Protein (Though Kashi Go Lean has a high protein cereal). I think you'll find post band that low protein cereal won't be a great Breakfast choice because it will spike your blood suger and not give you long term satiation. Also most doctors want you to get 20 + grams of protein at each meal. You won't get that from 1/2 of special K. FYI some people do have oatmeal for breakfast because it breaks done slower.

I'm able to eat pretty much anything I want, but I use common sense. I eat a cup of food at meals and wonder if I need more Fluid in my band. I drink skim milk and one of my favorite things is low-fat/fat free cottage cheese with some low-sugar peach/strawberry preserves.