Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To or Not To do Pre-Op Diet

Ok. Everything is submitted to Tricare and I am just waiting on my appproval. I was denied first cause the Dr.'s office didn't submit paperwork to my primary insurance. Well, I have a date of January 6th, pending the approval. My Dr. said that with my body structure he didn't think that I needed to go on a pre-op diet. I've heard so much about the .pro's and cons but think that the benefit of the diet is great. I would like to know if anyone has opted to do it when the Doc has said you didn't really need to. I have a fatty liver but he said he didn't think it was that bad cause he couldn't feel it. I keep thinking I should but would like some feedback. Thanks in advance!

When I went to my first surgeon app he told me that I needed to lose 10 pounds before surgery. He also told me that I am headed to weight loss, so why not start losing right away.

Even if I am not told about having the liquid diet I think I'll do it anyways, at least for a week. You'll lose weight, reduce your liver size a bit and get your body on full mode on for what your post op liquid diet would be.;)

My pre-op diet was 2 weeks of Atkins diet. Lowering the carbs shrinks the liver and is much easier than liquid diets.

I was required to have a pre-op. Knowing what I know now, I would have done it regardless of the doctor mandate. You will be on a liquid post-op diet and so you might as well get used to the shakes and such. Plus, a good Protein Shake supplement will be beneficial to you to ensure you get enough Protein snd really see good results. good luck to you.

Thank you all for your responses! I've decided to go ahead with the diet. Heck, why not!! I have some good dieters tea that I am going to start off with for a good cleansing. I can't wait I am so excited! Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!!

Thank you all for your responses! I've decided to go ahead with the diet. Heck, why not!! I have some good dieters tea that I am going to start off with for a good cleansing. I can't wait I am so excited! Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!!

You don't want to wake up and be told that your liver was to big for them to put the band on. Do the 2 week preop diet and you won't have to worry about that at all. I also did Atkins for my 2 week diet, much easier then the liquid but both do the same job. Being banded the 30th.

Good luck to you!

If your doc says no need to do it then I wouldn't do it. You go through enough with the post op diet. Why extend it? I had no pre op diet and I did fine. I think my general feeling on these issues is to always do what your doctor says.

If your doc says no need to do it then I wouldn't do it. You go through enough with the post op diet. Why extend it? I had no pre op diet and I did fine. I think my general feeling on these issues is to always do what your doctor says.

This! I didn't have a pre-op diet either. I actually asked my surgeon why I didn't need to do one, he said it's a waste of time. He doesn't need the liver to 'shrink' in-order to install the band correctly. smile.gif

I'd do it. You need to shrink your liver, and the less painful it will be if its shrunk verses it wasnt and they had to "move" it. When they moved my liver over and out of the way I had alot of pain the day of surgery and two days after from that. So I'd say do the diet, and drop a few pounds in advance. You'll be happy you did when you see your number go down. Best of Luck!!!

Hi there,

I understand the main reason to do a preop diet is to lose weight from around your liver to make it easier on you and the doctor during sergery. If it is to large he will have to move it.

blk-weight.png

Why not just do it. It can only make the surgery easier for your surgeon to shrink your liver a bit. Plus you will already be on the right path and start losing weight. Another plus is that you will know what to expect with the post op liquids diet.

I'm not saying there is a right or wrong thing to do, but either way I'd listen to your surgeon. My doctor did not have a pre-op diet unless your BMI was over 60. I questioned why, because of course I've read on here that practically everyone has one, and she said that it's meant to shrink your liver so that the TOOL used to hold the liver up can maintain the weight, but very few livers are actually that large...she told me we are tortured enough for our post-op diet...

I didn't do a pre-op diet. I will say it was sort of a shock once I started the post-op diet...but nothing that I didn't get used to in two days...

Good luck

I am currently on my pre-op diet. My surgeon requires you to do it for one week prior to surgery. He actually palpated my liver during my initial consult and said it DID NOT feel like it was enlarged. But, he requires ALL of his patients to complete it. He also made it clear that if I gained any weight prior to surgery that he would cancel my surgery. This will ensure that I at least will not gain any weight. I know I would probably have many "last suppers" otherwise days leading up to surgery.

I figure, this week will give my mind a chance to adjust to not eating like a pig like I have for so many years. It will be easier for me to adjust next week once I get home from the hospital . Less shock to my brain. It's also a good way to jump start your weight loss.

Yep, my doc reserves the right to not place the band if the liver is too large. What worries me is that I was doing the 2 week liquid diet over Christmas and I forgot my Protein Powder when we went out of town... so I ate a very small serving of lasagne, a tiny piece of pie, a couple of small spinach enchiladas, a couple dozen thin tortilla chips with scorching (perfect) hot salsa, a tiny amount of brisquet, a tiny amount of ham, a tiny amount of mustard potato salad during the trip. I have been good since, but geez..........

We will see what he says in the morning since I am going in at 5:30 am.

I lost 10 pounds anyway.

You don't want to wake up and be told that your liver was to big for them to put the band on. Do the 2 week preop diet and you won't have to worry about that at all. I also did Atkins for my 2 week diet, much easier then the liquid but both do the same job. Being banded the 30th.

Good luck to you!