Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i think i'm gonna do this!

hello everyone. My name is Morgan, I'm 22. I've had 3 different doctors hand me a brochure for the Lap-Band, and i always roll my eyes. I always think, "surgery is the easy way out, i can do this on my own." that was 3 years ago, and i've since gained 60 MORE lbs. I'm now 5'4, weighing in at a whopping 295. I was always the girl "who has a stunning face, if only i could lose the weight" and its become the biggest issue in my life, and anything bad that has happened in my life can somehow go back to my weight. I've signed up for the seminar in my city for the LapBand and i'm anxious to get this going. And quickly. I day dream about it! haha

Just wanted to say i love reading everyones posts!

Anyone who wants to tell me their experience, I'd love that. Doubts? Pros?

Thanks!

-Morgan

I can tell you, I used to be of the same mindset. For most of my life I've been "the fat kid". I've tried and tried so many times to get the weight off and it seems like I always end up taking one step forward and two steps back. A couple of years ago my mother suggested surgery to me, but I didn't want to do it because it seemed to me like "the easy way out". I've been putting it off for a couple of years now, thinking I could do it myself, but I've realized that I just can't do it alone. So I went to a seminar in October. Since then, I've strongly considered it. I had my first consultation with my surgeon on two days ago, and I'm really excited to get the whole process underway.

I'm 20 years old, 5'11", and I weigh 334 pounds, so I know how you feel, being big. I wish you luck on your journey, and hopefully we'll both be able to get to a better weight.

If you ever want to talk, feel free to shoot me a message here. We'll probably be going about the same processes around the same time, so it would be nice to have a buddy that I could relate to.

Well, I can tell you that it's not easy by any means, but it makes what seems impossible, possible again. I'm around five pounds from goal and it has been a hard road to change my lifestyle. BUT, little by little I changed and now taking tiny portions seems normal and eating slowly is second nature. I rarely get sick anymore, thank goodness.

Good luck to both of you "newbies" and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Merry Christmas!

I'm really considering the lap-band, too. unfortunately, like many, my insurance does not cover the procedure...so I'm going to be self-pay. I've been approved for enough financing to go to Mexico, and I really want to - I just can't decide if I want to take on the debt. It seems like the debt + the challenge of developing a new life style would be so stressful. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

thanks!

Amanda

It is a decision that will forever change you life. Going into this knowing that you still have to do the work, but its a "tool" that makes what seems impossible a reality. I had my surgery almost 2 years ago...and there isn't a day go by that I am not greatful for my new life. I also had your outlook many years ago, and finally realized having weight loss surgery would help me keep the weight off...I don't consider myself weak, but quite the opposite for taking control of my health. I only wish I had done it sooner. Best wishes to you and good luck on your journey!

Hi to all of you, I too am new - don't think I really have totally made the decision yet.

I am so like a lot of you. I am currently 200lbs and am 5' 11.5" tall, I took one of those "what's your BMI" tests and was well surprized.

I have been over weight since and accident in my 20's. I've done the yo-yo thing, but I always re-gain. I have issues of not eating and then over - indulging when I do eat. I am 43 and well tired of thinking "yeah, I failed again today".

I did find out that Anthem Ins. will cover the procedure so that well is good news, and well then I worry if I am using it as an excure to have the procedure. I did make an appointment to go see Dr. McKeen (anyone used him?) in San Jose, Cali.

I figure I will see what that first appointment has in store for me. Unlike some of you Doctor's never seem ready to answer my questions about weight. Only had one Doctor really - go there with me, but at the time I had high blood pressure and he said my choices were limited. Now I don't have high blood pressure but with my current BMI and my ankle issues I am thinking I should persue this further. Funny my charts have said Obese for years, but I never felt I was.... well heavy, but not Obese. Why didn't they ever approach me about doing something - I say good job to the doc's that atleast give you options. I haven't even told my hubby I made the appointment, I will but I am not sure what anyone else will think. It's my decision I suppose, plus think I am just scared. But ya -know I have lived 1/2 my life overweight isn't it time to be thin. I am always the girl people say she'd be so pretty if she lost the weight, ridiculous comment but like you all I'm amazing at the gall of people who think they can comment about another person's weight - especially when they are not fit themselves. Hum..... here's to the journey with you all! And Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings too!

Oh - and I too second the Thanks for the Posts - it's so super helpful

Rdy2Bthin :-)