Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have breast cancer :-(

Right before I typed my response to you my wife who had a mamogram the other day just said the dr. wanted to see her again! They told her when she went this is common not to be alarmed because of a follow up appointment. They told her everyones breast structure is different and they usually have everyone back for follow-up. Lets hope!

I have an uncle who had breast cancer and leukemia, so far he has no signs of cancer. He said beating cancer is 90% mental, that staying positive and believing are the most important parts of beating cancer.

You'll get through this because you have the prayers and support of many people and you sound like your a strong person. Stay positive.

I couldn't disagree more. As a victim of breast cancer and the wife of a husband who died of esophageal cancer I can tell you first hand that cancer doesn't give a rat's ass about attitude. It's about the type of cancer, stage of cancer, treatment options and quality of care you receive.

While it's important to take care of your whole self during cancer treatment and remain committed to fighting it, I don't buy into that whole positive attitude thing. I do believe you have to be an informed patient and be proactive with your care. Do not allow you doctor to treat you with a one size fits all attitude.

Cancer is not a blessing. It is a horror. No one wants to hear the doctor say "There's no good way to tell you this.".

loserbob - I wish your wife the best with her mammogram results. I was called back, too, and told that 80% of the time it is benign. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. We have great hospitals here. Good luck.

I couldn't disagree more. As a victim of breast cancer and the wife of a husband who died of esophageal cancer I can tell you first hand that cancer doesn't give a rat's ass about attitude. It's about the type of cancer, stage of cancer, treatment options and quality of care you receive.

While it's important to take care of your whole self during cancer treatment and remain committed to fighting it, I don't buy into that whole positive attitude thing. I do believe you have to be an informed patient and be proactive with your care. Do not allow you doctor to treat you with a one size fits all attitude.

Cancer is not a blessing. It is a horror. No one wants to hear the doctor say "There's no good way to tell you this.".

loserbob - I wish your wife the best with her mammogram results. I was called back, too, and told that 80% of the time it is benign. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. We have great hospitals here. Good luck.

Thanks, I hope everything goes well. With what you've been through Im definately not going to debate this topic with you!

Thanks, I hope everything goes well. With what you've been through Im definately not going to debate this topic with you!

Happy New Year and I hope the only news you hear is good.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I was diagnosed with breast cancer Dec 2009. My cancer was Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 2, Grade 3, ER- PR- Her2- (triple negative). I had a double mastectomy Jan 2010 and then chemo. They gave me the choice of having a lumpectomy with chemo and radiation but I am too much of a worry wart. I would have driven myself crazy about it coming back so I chose the mastecomy. They build beautiful new ones now anyway! I finished chemo in May 2010, lost all my hair - head to toe (I didn't know everything goes!) and got the permanant implants in Aug 2010. My hair is now about 3 inches long. I see the oncologist every three months for bloodwork.

People would say to me, you are so strong, keep your positive attitude, attitude is half the battle. Those are meant to be encouraging statements but to the person with cancer it can be hard to choke down. What if the cancer comes back? Was it because I didn't have right attitude? Am I weak? No, the only thing you can do is get through each day as they come. Cry and get mad if you want to but try to not let yourself get down for too long. Get some anit-depressants and don't feel weird or bad about it. Also, I do believe it is important to have something to look forward to. I planned a cruise for this April. I can't wait! And I will have hair!

On a side note, if you do need to have chemo, they will most likely empty your band (they did mine). That way if you do experience any nausea it won't cause your band to slip. As a result, I gained 50 lbs back. Also, not all chemo causes weight loss, mine causes weight gain. Ugh! But its funny, I didn't get too caught up with that becuase the band is adjustable!! I sound like a commercial. I am just now getting my band adjusted so I can get back on track.

I wish you all the best! Take care of your happiness. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help. : )

How are you doing? I hope well.

I was just banded on December 6th and yesterday I got the results back from my mammogram that there is something suspicious in my left breast. I have to go in next Friday for an ultrasound. I'm really scared too so I can imagine how scared you must be. I just keep reminding myself that my mother was diagnosed 3 years ago with an aggressive type of breast cancer and she is doing fine now.

Please keep in touch and take care

How are you doing? I hope well.

I was just banded on December 6th and yesterday I got the results back from my mammogram that there is something suspicious in my left breast. I have to go in next Friday for an ultrasound. I'm really scared too so I can imagine how scared you must be. I just keep reminding myself that my mother was diagnosed 3 years ago with an aggressive type of breast cancer and she is doing fine now.

Please keep in touch and take care

I hope your results turn out well but if not- know that catching it early will give you an enormous chance of being free of cancer in the future.

Hi everyone. Well, here's the latest...

I had a lumpectomy on December 17, 2010. With the lumpectomy they removed 3 lymph nodes because they looked suspicious on the MRI. The good news...they did not travel to the lymph nodes and it was definately non-invasive DCIS. They got all of the mass and all of the margins were clear. I am healing well and feeling pretty good. I go next week to the Radiation Oncologist so they can do the CT Planning and then I will most likely start Radiation the following week. I have to have 33 sessions of Radiation. After that they want me to take tamoxifen for five years and they would also like for me to get genetic testing.

My head is in information overload at the time. I have done a ton of research and I have plenty of books to read about all of this. I feel so fortunate that I had the best case scenario for this cancer.

On Tuesday, I again registered to particpate in the Susan G. Kome Breast Cancer 3-Day. I participated in 2008 and in 2009 to honor my Aunt Debi who is a breast cancer survivor. I did not participate in the walk in 2010 and ironically just one month after the walk is when I was diagnosed. If anyone would like to donate to me for the walk, send me a message and I will give you the link to my page.

Thank you to everyone for all of the prayers and well wishes. This has been a pretty tough time but I know that with all of the support that I have and the positive future that I see...I will be fine.

Hi everyone. Well, here's the latest...

I had a lumpectomy on December 17, 2010. With the lumpectomy they removed 3 lymph nodes because they looked suspicious on the MRI. The good news...they did not travel to the lymph nodes and it was definately non-invasive DCIS. They got all of the mass and all of the margins were clear. I am healing well and feeling pretty good. I go next week to the Radiation Oncologist so they can do the CT Planning and then I will most likely start Radiation the following week. I have to have 33 sessions of Radiation. After that they want me to take tamoxifen for five years and they would also like for me to get genetic testing.

My head is in information overload at the time. I have done a ton of research and I have plenty of books to read about all of this. I feel so fortunate that I had the best case scenario for this cancer.

On Tuesday, I again registered to particpate in the Susan G. Kome Breast Cancer 3-Day. I participated in 2008 and in 2009 to honor my Aunt Debi who is a breast cancer survivor. I did not participate in the walk in 2010 and ironically just one month after the walk is when I was diagnosed. If anyone would like to donate to me for the walk, send me a message and I will give you the link to my page.

Thank you to everyone for all of the prayers and well wishes. This has been a pretty tough time but I know that with all of the support that I have and the positive future that I see...I will be fine.

Yes, you will be fine. I am so happy that everything has worked out as it has. All of this can be so overwhelming, I know, but it sounds like you have a good support system, which is so important. Tamoxifen works great. I was on that until I had a hysterectomy and then went on femara which I have been on for over 7 years. Good luck to you and I wish you a happy and healthy new year.

I am sorry for everything you've been going through (mum & the others who have posted about having cancer and losing because of cancer). Its been some time since you've posted. My thoughts are with you. How are you doing?

On 12/12/2010 at 22:47, mumof2boys said:

Hello everyone...some of you guys may remember me...I was banded in 2007, lost about 130 pounds, found out my husband cheated on me, had plastic surgery to removed excess skin, got divorced and now I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Throughout my ordeal with my cheating husband, I found lots of support from many friends here on LBT. Well, I'm in need of support yet again. The day after Thanksgiving I felt a lump in my breast. The following Monday I contacted my doctor and they got me in the office the following morning. The doctor confirmed that there was indeed a lump and gave me a referral for a mammogram and an ultrasound (I don't get annual mammograms because I am only 37). The next day I had a mammogram and ultrasound and the lump appeared "suspicious" and they suggested a biopsy. The following day I underwent a biopsy and I was informed this past Tuesday that it was positive for breast cancer. I have since had a MRI and met with an Oncologist and tomorrow I meet with a Radiation Oncologist. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on Friday, December 17, 2010. It really hasn't hit me yet but I am scared of all of this. The way that things look now, I will not need to undergo chemo but I will have to have 6 - 8 weeks of radiation, 5 days a week.

Please keep me in your prayers during this difficult time...I really appreciate it.

I am so sorry to hear this. Thank goodness you are
Very much aware of changes in your body and got it looked at immediately. Prayers for healing!