Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you to fully recover from surgery?

I am post op. Had my surgery last Friday. I am feeling sore and tired and could sleep all day. How long did it take you guys to start feeling completely normal again?

It took me 10 days til I was feeling like my old self again.

i had my surgery on a monday and went back to work the following tuesday. i probably should have stayed home the entired 2nd week because it hurt to stand up and it hurt to sit down. luckily i have a desk job so i didn't have to move around much. that first week that's all i did was sleep! take the pain meds and let your body heal.

I think it took me about 2 weeks. My port still hurts sometimes to this day, and I have been banded since Feb. Hopefully that will get better, but you should feel better in a week or two.

It took about a week to feel "good". For me that meant no pain meds & I was able to sleep ok thru the night.

I felt great the next day. By day 4, I had to look at the scars to even remember I had surgery.

I had my surgery on the 18th of November. I'd say about 4-5 days to feel 'good'. I walked at the mall on about day 3 and it was uncomfortable mostly because of the gas pains in my chest/back area.

I was sick as a dog for about 10 days after surgery. Then I could go to work and felt okay, but I was tired for about another week.

I am going to be honest here. After a week i could function quite well but got tired and sore quickly. After 2 weeks i was back at work but was still having a little discomfort and got tired easily. My port wound took 4 weeks to heal up completely. It was 6 weeks before i could say i was no longer having twinges and strange little, and not so little pains. But appreciate those little pains, they reminded me that i was banded and kept me on track with my eating even though i had no restriction as i was afraid i would damage something if i ate more than was recommended. Good luck with your journey.

It only took me 4 days for the pain to go away, but i didnt get my energy back until i started eating the mushy foods... so about 10 days to feel completely back to normal.

I had pain for more than 2 weeks, but don't remember how much longer than 2 weeks. I know I had to take pain meds to be able to ride an hour to my 2 week post-op appt. :(

I was banded 11/29/10, slept the first week a lot and moved very little. The following Monday, yesterday, I went back to college and did quite a bit of walking. I felt better today then I have in a week, I think the walking helped. I take liquid tylenol for pain maybe once a day and at bedtime I take my prescription. My port doesn't hurt at all, but the two lower left incisions hurt a bit. I know how you feel, I had a breakdown on about day 3 or 4, I was so upset and started doubting the surgery, but it passed. Hang in there, it will get better :)

I had my surgery on 11/30. Went back to work yesterday, most of the pain is gone but a little tired. I also had a mini-breakdown on day 5, woke up in a panic and thought what have I done! I can't do it! But that feeling soon passed. I feel so much better now, and have lost 18 lbs!

I had my surgery on a Thursday and went back to work the following Monday. It took about 10 days to feel back to normal again. The quicker you start walking the better you will feel, remember different people handle pain differently, everyones journey is different from beginning to end.

I am post op. Had my surgery last Friday. I am feeling sore and tired and could sleep all day. How long did it take you guys to start feeling completely normal again?

I am post-op 12/3 and feel great! Was at SAM's the next morning walking around. Went back to work Monday, although I have been slipping out by 2 or 3 because I am tired. Took pain meds for about 3 days and then just Tylenol. My biggest problem is drinking enough fluids. I also still have some discomfort in my shoulders from anesthesia, but this had eased alot today. Everyone experiences apin differently and I have always breezed through medical problems and have a high pain threshold. Hope things get better and just listen to your body, but do make yourself walk and be as active as you can.