Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Days post-OP and worried :(

^_^ I got banded on NOV 30th 2010. My recovery was pretty awful..not from the band but from the anestesia.. Now that I am feeling better I have noticed a few areas of concern and need some guidence on what is the norm (relatively normal).

1. I have not been able to sleep flat or on less than 4-5 pillows (almost like sitting in a chair)..I get burning in my chest that will keep me awake.

2. If I eat or drink i have to sit and relax for about another 30 mins before doing something else due to pressure/burning where the band is placed ( in my chest)..

I believe this is all still due to post- op swelling ( i hope B) ).

I just want to know.. after my first fill is it going to be this restricted..because this is very uncomfortable..(dosen't "hurt" , just lots of burning pressure, discomfort).. Please tell me it gets better..Cuz this is miserable :(

THANKS

:o DD:unsure:

^_^ I got banded on NOV 30th 2010. My recovery was pretty awful..not from the band but from the anestesia.. Now that I am feeling better I have noticed a few areas of concern and need some guidence on what is the norm (relatively normal).

1. I have not been able to sleep flat or on less than 4-5 pillows (almost like sitting in a chair)..I get burning in my chest that will keep me awake.

2. If I eat or drink i have to sit and relax for about another 30 mins before doing something else due to pressure/burning where the band is placed ( in my chest)..

I believe this is all still due to post- op swelling ( i hope B) ).

I just want to know.. after my first fill is it going to be this restricted..because this is very uncomfortable..(dosen't "hurt" , just lots of burning pressure, discomfort).. Please tell me it gets better..Cuz this is miserable :(

THANKS

:o DD:unsure:

Once your swelling subsides you will feel better. And no, it is not the way you should feel after a fill (or when you get to your sweet spot). Since you are very early in your journey, I'll give you a big piece of advice. Don't equate restriction with the amount of food you can eat. Being too tight is not a good thing. Keeping your band as loose as possible and still be able to lose or maintain your weight once you've reached goal will help avoid complications. I went through a period of being too tight for about 6-8 weeks - throwing up (pbing), sliming a couple of times a week and many foods being uncomfortable to eat. I was so afraid to get an unfill and have the "hungries" come back that I waited to see if it would loosen up on it's own. When I finally realized that this was not the way to live, I got a very tiny unfill (.1) and then a .1 unfill again a few weeks later to adjust it to where it is now. I don't eat anymore than I did before the unfill - I can just eat alot more foods without being uncomfortable and no sliming or pbing episodes since (6 months now). I still continued to lose weight after the unfill and maintain pretty steady. The first few months are definitely an adjustment in more ways than one. Take your time, practice eating small bites, chewing well and wait a little bit between each one. Anytime you feel a tightness or pressure in your chest after eating, wait until it subsides before another bite.

Good luck to you!

I am a few days post op and I do not feel burning. This might be acid. I would see if the doctor can prescribe something to help relieve it. Your tummy will heal better without the overload of acid, so even if you can tolerate the discomfort, it is still better to control it with meds. Ranitidine comes in liquid form, have your doc call it in to the pharmacy. It will make all the difference.

I am a side sleeper but had to sleep proped up on pillows on my back for a little over a week.

I was banded on 12/3. I am having the pressure/tightness in my chest. I am also wondering if this is normal. I haven't had any burning though.

I also have to sleep with my head/back elevated too. I can't seem to get in a comfortable posistion otherwise. I can feel my port. And when sleeping on the side where my port is, it is very uncomfortable. When I try to sleep on the opposite side it feels like it's pulling on the port. Hope this gets better because I don't sleep well on my back.

I was banded this Monday the 6th and last night started having horrible heart burn. It was while I was sleeping and I hadn't had any shakes for hours so I'm not sure what is causing it. I don't seem to have the shoulder pain this morning which is wonderful, but the heartburn has taken it's place for irritation of the day. Anyone know if we are allowed to take protonix or other pills for GERD. I also had I hiatal hernia repair when the band was put in place.

I was banded 11/29 and I have not had the burning, but I can relate to the pressure after eating or drinking. I believe that to be caused by the air they put in to do the surgery. I did also have a hiatal hernia repair. I have been mixing Miralax in my Water for Constipation and the gas we will see how long it will take for that to work. I am sick of the protien shakes they are beginning to taste aweful, but my doctor has me on a liquid diet until my first appointment on 12/22/10. Any suggestion for a great tasting shake other than vanilla, strawberry, or chocolate?

I was banded on 12/3. I am having the pressure/tightness in my chest. I am also wondering if this is normal. I haven't had any burning though.

I also have to sleep with my head/back elevated too. I can't seem to get in a comfortable posistion otherwise. I can feel my port. And when sleeping on the side where my port is, it is very uncomfortable. When I try to sleep on the opposite side it feels like it's pulling on the port. Hope this gets better because I don't sleep well on my back.

For the "pulling on the port" issue, try tucking a small (travel-type) pillow under your belly for strain relief. That helped me a lot.

I was banded 11/29 and I have not had the burning, but I can relate to the pressure after eating or drinking. I believe that to be caused by the air they put in to do the surgery. I did also have a hiatal hernia repair. I have been mixing Miralax in my Water for Constipation and the gas we will see how long it will take for that to work. I am sick of the protien shakes they are beginning to taste aweful, but my doctor has me on a liquid diet until my first appointment on 12/22/10. Any suggestion for a great tasting shake other than vanilla, strawberry, or chocolate?

We were banded on the same day and I am just miserable. On day 4 I took some MOM and it did help. I just think that I over did it. I had hernia repair as well but am not sure if the way I feel is due to that or the band,. I can feel my port, the tugging is the worst. It takes me forever to get up. For some reason I thought that I would be feeling better than I do now. I walk everyday for 45 minutes to help with the gas too.

Is anyone having spasms I keep having this weird spasm that kinda feels like a hiccup maybe? I dunno. I also feel my port all of the time, very uncomfortable. As far as shakes I am using powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Chix noodle and some coffee flavored one. I have to make myself drink them as I am not hungry at all. I can not wait for the mushies. Some people say that they can not do the mushies but I am looking forward to it. EVERYTHING is going into the blender and I am going to smile the whole time.

on a liquid diet until my first appointment on 12/22/10. Any suggestion for a great tasting shake other than vanilla, strawberry, or chocolate?

unjury has a chicken Soup flavor that many people like. www.unjury.com They also have unflavored.