Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

I just got banded Nov 27th. I feel like crap still, is it normal to feel nauseated just by drinkin a sip of Water with my prescribed liquid vicodine?? Please share advice that will help me get through this bc as for now i feel I shouldnt have done this.

Hi! Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I was banded on Nov. 19th and I feel almost as if I didn't even have the surgery. I am saying this as hope for you, in that you may feel better really really soon! I know right after my surgery my stomach was pretty swollen, but it went down super fast! I am able to drink normally like I did before the surgery now. Best wishes for a super fast recovery!

@tchaho thank you so much. I barely went today to get my incisions checked and the DR said they are healing fast but like i said before i dont feel good at all. Specially that before surgery i was the type of person that drank 2 bottles of Water and now im only able to drink no more than 30ml of water in sips. It kinda frustrates me but hopefully i get to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi!

I felt the same way u did after surgery. With just a drink of Water I felt nauseated. I called my doc and he prescribed me a medication for it. Not sure if it was a coinsidence but after I took one pill that day I felt way better the next day. It was to good to be true after how I felt. I was able to drink almost a whole water bottle that day. All I have learned is that in time it gets a little better. Hope u feel better soon!

It wasn't great for me either initially, but please keep trying to get that Water in. You don't want to get constipated cause that's a world of other issues. You are gonna do great. I had my depressive moments directly following the procedure but I know this is gonna be a great tool for the long haul.

Thnk you guys. Is it normal to feel pressure on my left shoulder?? And that it hurts so much to cough or just lay down? What was included in your guys 1 week diet??

Thnk you guys. Is it normal to feel pressure on my left shoulder?? And that it hurts so much to cough or just lay down? What was included in your guys 1 week diet??

The pressure is normal....i had it...it's from them putting air in ur chest cavity. buy pillows that form your body so u can get comfortable. 1 week diet plenty of Water and Protein shakes.

The pressure is normal....i had it...it's from them putting air in ur chest cavity. buy pillows that form your body so u can get comfortable. 1 week diet plenty of Water and Protein shakes.

Thnks so much lashonda23. I find it so hard to drink even Water but i'll get used to it right?

I was having the pain in my shoulder too due to the gas/air they used. I was told that was normal. I still feel some of the pressure from the gas. I feel a lot better today except if I stay in one position too long I'm a little sore. I do feel better if I am up walking around as weird as that sounds. I was just banded yesterday, Nov 29th. I'm still getting used to only taking little sips of Water instead of the big gulps that I am used to. I stopped taking my liquid loratab last night. I took two doses and realized the pain was not really that bad. Plus I remember in July when I had my tonsillectomy and I was on the same medicine, I didn't like the taste and it made me feel nauseous. I was having to take pills for nausea in order to take the medicine to make the pain go away.

I know this is only temporary and it will get better in the days to come. Good luck to everyone!

I was banded Nov 15th and the first week was hell. I cried to the doc my first follow up. But today 2 weeks later I feel almost back to normal and sometimes even forget that I had the surgery..of course except when it comes to the eating LOL Hang in there and I promise you will feel better!

I was having the pain in my shoulder too due to the gas/air they used. I was told that was normal. I still feel some of the pressure from the gas. I feel a lot better today except if I stay in one position too long I'm a little sore. I do feel better if I am up walking around as weird as that sounds. I was just banded yesterday, Nov 29th. I'm still getting used to only taking little sips of Water instead of the big gulps that I am used to. I stopped taking my liquid loratab last night. I took two doses and realized the pain was not really that bad. Plus I remember in July when I had my tonsillectomy and I was on the same medicine, I didn't like the taste and it made me feel nauseous. I was having to take pills for nausea in order to take the medicine to make the pain go away.

I know this is only temporary and it will get better in the days to come. Good luck to everyone!

Hey Kitten, I was banded yesterday also, congrats to you! I feel better walking around as well, I've been lucky so far not too much gas pain in the shoulders. Some in the back on my port side though. I hear you about the sipping Water too! Guess it just takes practice. I've been drinking warm Decaf herbal tea too and that's felt good on my swollen belly. I too know it's temporary and takes time to heal, and better to follow dr's orders than to get impatient and do something that may hurt the band and my new stomach. Best of luck to you, and feel free to pm me if you'd like to buddy up :)

Kfranco, sometimes peeps get nauseated by certain types of pain meds. Personally Vicodin makes me nauseated and doesn't do anything for me, so they prescribe me other meds. And it's tough sometimes when you can only drink liquids to take certain meds because "normally" you are supposed to take them with something on the belly. Are you allowed to have Protein shakes or Soups yet? That may help too. And I would check out btown girl's suggestion about checking with your doctor about nausea meds.

Even though I've just been banded, I know people who've had this done and read a lot on here about the first few weeks and the overwhelming response is it DOES get much better!!! Best of luck to you :)

Susan

First, let me say congratulations to you for your new band! I had my surgery on 11/22 and feel much better now. Like you, I thought maybe I had made the biggest mistake of my life, but I am now past that. To be honest, yesterday was my crossover day. It was the first day that I got out of the house by myself, the first day to drive, the first day to go to the store, and the first day to cook a meal for my hubby and kids. I felt so much better by actually getting out and doing something.

Before yesterday, I had sat around the house watching TV and hanging out on the laptop. It made a huge difference to get out and about in the real world. It took my mind off of everything. So, as soon as you feel up to it, get out and see the world!

Like you, I also had trouble with getting my fluids in during the first few days. Don't stress over this. Your body is in a healing process and you will eventually want to drink something. Also, I got nauseated a bit during those first few days which my surgeon said was very normal. Not only have you been exposed to anesthesia, which is known to cause nausea, but your stomach has been poked and prodded at. So, nauseau is expected.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck. You are at the best forum for information and advice.

I was banded on Nov. 15th and I am finally feeling "normal" again! The first week was hard. The pain in my stomach muscles were terrible. I had to sleep in a recliner because it hurt to lay all the way down in the bend. I thought I had made a mistake. Now, just 2 weeks later, no problems. Only a little tugging in my stomach when I bend. Otherwise, no pain and able to eat soft/mushy foods. 64oz. of Fluid is hard to get in without surgery, much less when you've just had a band put around your stomach. Take it slow. It WILL get better!! Warm chicken broth and then reduced fat cream of chicken Soup (with chicken chuncks picked out) were so tasty to me after only Protein Shakes and Water. Hang in there!

:D

I was banded on 11/21 as well :-) I felt the worst coming home after staying in the hospital for a day but starting to feel like myself again today without any ab pain, yay :-)

My Dr. said that chewable Gas-x was Ok to have if the gas in your system was building toomuch pressure so that helped me immensely!

Hope you feel better soon!

I was banded Nov. 19th. Day 6 was my worst. I was weak and miserable. Of course it was also Thanksgiving! Day 7 I suddenly felt like a brand new person!! Hang in there it will pass.