Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Have Nighttime Reflux Coughing Or Vomitting?

You need to join us in RnY-land before you end up with an unhealthy esophagus, I had GERD very bad before my surgery, although I had other problems it is gone for good and my asthma got better, the reflux every night was worsening it, you see.
And please believe me, there answers out there, nobody deserves the misery you are having! Keep us updated, but you need to evict that lap band, it is your friend no linger!

I’ve had my band since 2016 and last month had .5ccs removed because an esophogram showed my band was too tight. I had awful reflux at night and aspirated twice. Now, I feel like I have no restriction and I’m so afraid of gaining weight. I can eat anything really and I’m hungry more frequently. I’m thinking of asking my surgeon to put some back in but I’m so afraid of the reflux again. The struggle, ugh.

it’s been almost 10 yrs since my lapband it’s been a constant fight keeping the weight off I lose 20 gain 10 it’s up & down, then it’s food getting stuck that’s been a nightmare now I’m having acid reflux problems I don’t have to eat much I try not drink a lot of Water or coffee before bed but I wake up during most nights can’t breath I’m choking & that nasty taste. I haven’t had a fill in 4 yrs so I know I’m not tight.

I won’t be able to see the doctor until June when I get home. Hope it settles down until then

For the past year I have problems sometimes getting food down. 3 years since last fill !! ,Maybe not enough chewing but I sometimes regurgitate food ( have to leave the table to spit in the toilet ) it’s not acidic just recently chewed food . I get the same with hot or cold drinks - ok with room temp drinks - milk also causes the problem. Most nights I have a real bad cough - I used to have acid reflux too but now mostly under control with gaviscon and two books propping up the head end of my bed . Weight loss has stalled too but as I’m private patient in UK a visit to the doc will cost about $300 ....stuck for ideas . Plus if I go too long without food I get a tasteless white frothy thing going on in my mouth

On 10/19/2011 at 3:47 PM, NH-Pam said:

Wanted to bring this issue back to life and see if anyone else out there is having or had the same problem. My reflux started when my band slipped back in Oct of 2010. Had surgery to reset the band in place. The reflux subsided for approximately 2 months and then gradually became worse as my fill was being added. This past July I was completely "unfilled" and in August I was diagnosed with Aspiration pneumonia all due to reflux caused by the band. All along taking Nexium 2x per day. Needless to say the pneumonia has struck again so the band is being removed tomorrow. I have mixed emotions, but am so looking forward to finally getting a good nights sleep. I just hope that everyone realizes that the choking/vomiting in the night can cause you to aspirate which can kill you, this is not something to take lightly.

Hi NH-Pam, I have 'choking' from the band at night and a lot of vomiting during the day and night. I had gastroscopy and it proved that my esophagus is all pebly instead of smooth. The Doctor took biopsy and luckily I don't have cancer. He loosened the band and suggested revision surgery. Now it is up to me to decide whether it will be sleeve or mini GBP. Did you have revision and if you did how is it with the reflux now?

On 3/31/2019 at 6:08 PM, mike54 said:

it’s been almost 10 yrs since my lapband it’s been a constant fight keeping the weight off I lose 20 gain 10 it’s up & down, then it’s food getting stuck that’s been a nightmare now I’m having acid reflux problems I don’t have to eat much I try not drink a lot of Water or coffee before bed but I wake up during most nights can’t breath I’m choking & that nasty taste. I haven’t had a fill in 4 yrs so I know I’m not tight.

I won’t be able to see the doctor until June when I get home. Hope it settles down until then

Hi mike54, I have 'choking' from the band at night and a lot of vomiting during the day and night. I had gastroscopy and it proved that my esophagus is all pebly instead of smooth. The Doctor took biopsy and luckily I don't have cancer. He loosened the band and suggested revision surgery. Now it is up to me to decide whether it will be sleeve or mini GBP. Did you have revision and if you did how is it with the reflux now?

Yes, been banded since 2009. Cannot wear my cpap d/t waking up coughing and some days I can eat whatever I want other days everything is getting stuck even if I chew chew chew! Been experiencing a lot of nausea lately. Doctor took all I had in my band will have barium swallow in 2wks. Then band removed, will wait 3mths to GBP.

On 11/29/2010 at 06:20, Bekah_GA said:

I've been having nighttime reflux/coughing/vomitting with varying degrees of severity for some time now. It doesn't seem to matter when I eat my last meal. When I lay down to sleep I wake up in the middle of the night with coughing and vomitting. This happens most nights of the week. I have the head of my bed propped up, I try to sleep with lots of pillows (I usually end up slideing off of them and sleeping flat), and its worse if I'm on my left side than on my right. When I get up and vomit, my stomach contents are primarily liquid and phlegmy, no solid pieces of food. So there's no blockage of the band opening.

I had an UGI done 12/2009, diagnosed a hiatal hernia; repaired 03/2010. Band tightened 07/2010, untightened 10/2010. Vomiting improved after unfill, but not gone completely. Does anyone have any insight on how to help this?

I was like this for a year and a half. I’ve been sleeping in a recliner since October because I had shoulder surgery. Until I had bypass like 7 weeks ago I’d wake up choking on vomit even though I was basically sitting up. Aspirated a little a few times and finally said I’m done and we’re doing bypass. Didn’t matter what I ate, when I ate or how I was sleeping. PPIs did help post sleeve for a couple months then it turned into a nightmare.

7 hours ago, Quinnmedicinewoman said:

Yes, been banded since 2009. Cannot wear my cpap d/t waking up coughing and some days I can eat whatever I want other days everything is getting stuck even if I chew chew chew! Been experiencing a lot of nausea lately. Doctor took all I had in my band will have barium swallow in 2wks. Then band removed, will wait 3mths to GBP.

Sorry to hear that. The same here with me. The band seems to be so much trouble for all of us.

Thanks for answering.

I was banded in 2008. Lost 250 pounds from 433 to 183 or so. I thought the band was a miracle. Then problems with acid reflux started. I have had all the problems people gave mentioned on this thread. I’m managing it now by avoiding eating or drinking in the evening, and emptying my throat as much as possible before going to bed and anytime I wake up at night. I keep a plastic cup on my bedtime table to spit up in. Plus my band is not very tight. But I am still having acid reflux pain during the day and occasionally wake up coughing still. At times I’ve had to have my band completely emptied. And I’ve gained weight, now up to 270. I’m strongly considering having the band removed, and getting a RNY instead. I have Kaiser and they won’t do it all at once. I wave to wait 3 months in between, which is a bummer but I have to admit that my band isn’t working for me anymore. I’m scared about malnutrition from the RNY though, and cutting out to much of my insides just seems wrong. I wish I could keep my weight under 200 without such drastic measures but I’m not feeling confident that I can do it anymore.

I was banded in 2008. Lost 250 pounds from 433 to 183 or so. I thought the band was a miracle. Then problems with acid reflux started. I have had all the problems people gave mentioned on this thread. I’m managing it now by avoiding eating or drinking in the evening, and emptying my throat as much as possible before going to bed and anytime I wake up at night. I keep a plastic cup on my bedtime table to spit up in. Plus my band is not very tight. But I am still having acid reflux pain during the day and occasionally wake up coughing still. At times I’ve had to have my band completely emptied. And I’ve gained weight, now up to 270. I’m strongly considering having the band removed, and getting a RNY instead. I have Kaiser and they won’t do it all at once. I wave to wait 3 months in between, which is a bummer but I have to admit that my band isn’t working for me anymore. I’m scared about malnutrition from the RNY though, and cutting out to much of my insides just seems wrong. I wish I could keep my weight under 200 without such drastic measures but I’m not feeling confident that I can do it anymore.
Hi

I think you are doing a good thing "thinking." After you get that band out you will have at least another 3 month to decide. Its your body. This is not for most people. You have done great. You weighed 433 pounds. Don't give up on yourself. Look at what you need to live your healthiest and happiest life. We live in our bodies. What type of life do you want?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

Had reflux before I was sleeved 10/17, it improved but got worse about month 9, pcp put me on Zantac on top of my max dose of protonix. Finally talked to my surgeon and when I told him that I was vomiting in myself and that I take ambien and high dose of seroquel to sleep and that I'm not waking up when it happens he said the situation was dire and we needed to convert to bypass immediately. I had an EDG done a week later showing severe inflammation, a restriction where the esophagus and pouch meet, info was submitted to insurance and I was on the table a week later. I am almost 12 weeks post op, and acid reflux free.

OMG, this is totally me! I have been banded since 2008 and I have lost 95 lbs but gained 17 again. I cannot sleep flat anymore and I vomit up food almost every time I eat. Sick of having to carry barf bags with me everywhere and not being able to eat properly. I have an appt next week to see a surgeon and talk about revision to sleeve or bypass. I also take omeprazole daily plus zantac when needed. I do not want to go back to weighing 300 lbs again! I am too old for that and I want to teach for a really long time. I am also worried about the loose skin and nutritional problems that come with GBP......any words of advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I’m off to see the doc in July about this ... I hope solution is not another surgery - I can’t afford it ! Maybe an un fill will solve this . My original surgeon said the band may naturally tighten by itself over the years so maybe that’s what’s happened . Time will tell