Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever been lied to regarding the complications with the band?

I was looking back at my lap-band journal to the notes I had taken when I was first looking at, and shortly after I got the band, and I feel like people were not exactly truthful, for instance, about complications.

I feel like I need to vent a little and share the things that were told to me, 'cause I think it's unethical to misinform patients.

1. I was told that it's really rare for bands to have to be removed, although I see a disturbing number of surgeries here, to remedy slippage, infection, kinks, port repositioning etc.

2. When I asked about the port flipping, quite a few places said they'd never heard of it, and that the patients from whom I'd heard of this, must be mistaken.

3. When I asked about the port sticking out when people lose their weight, my surgeon said that would not happen, but I've already seen pictures of people whose ports show.

4. When I went to the fill doctor that my surgeon sent me, I asked if the doctor would be seeing me and they said yes, when I saw him in the hall and asked him a question, he said I could only be seen by his assistants, as I was a liability since my surgery was done by another doctor.

5. When I was researching clinics to do the surgery, a representative from NWWLS in Everett sent me gristly pictures of a supposed counterfeit gastric band that had been put in by a Mexican doctor and removed at the NWWLS. I google image searched the name of the image and found 3 other websites for bariatric surgeons claiming they'd removed the same counterfeit band themselves. I wish I could find the picture... it was scary and unprofessional.

Anyway, those are the things I was told that were a little misleading. Have you guys ever been told stuff like that?

I think it's normal for a surgeon's office to down-play the problems, especially if they were outside of the country. It's a sales pitch thing. They want you to think they're the best surgeon in the industry, so it's only to be expected.

I think you reading on this Forum about all the problems and such is misleading. True, there are a lot of people here who are reporting issues, but how many thousands more have the surgery with no complications, and who never post anything online? We who own computers tend to forget there are a lot of people who aren't online, or who don't post things on a public forum. And if someone has no problems, they wouldn't be likely to post here, right? Just a thought.

As to the NWWLS picture of a bad band - those people are the ones who make it clear that EVERYONE but them is a quack. They make it seem like they are the ONLY people who can do a good band. And of course we all know that's BS. Take their sales pitch with a grain of salt. (I live about 20 miles from their clinic, and I've been to their seminars. I chose to have surgery elsewhere.)

I'm not saying you don't have reason to feel lke you weren't told the whole truth, but I think you need to weight it all against how things have turned out. The ultimately responsible person should be yourself - it's your body, your life, and your health.

And remember the bottom line for a lot of these independent surgical companies: They're in the BUSINESS of medicine. :)

Dave

Edited by Dave_NW

I understand that they're doing a sales pitch, and I think it's unethical. I think it's really wrong when I've already put down the money and the surgeon still won't give me the straight truth in the pre-surgery consult. I know that there are people meant to rake patients in--- but I don't wanna feel like I'm operated on by a used car salesman. If you can't get the truth from the doc before they cut you open and change everything, how are you supposed to make an informed decision? :)

Edited by zuchinno
forgot something

I totally agree. And I think it's weird that they wouldn't tell you answers to your questions. I hope you eventually did get the answers you wanted.

My surgeon keeps asking me if I have any MORE questions, and I feel like I'm not asking him enough or something. I've done SO much research online, I've talked to so many people, and his surgery clinic was my choice after visiting several others, so I know pretty well exactly what I'm getting into. I'm prepared for any issues that may come up, and I know I'll make it work. Despite being really overweight, I have a tremendous amount of will power. Go figure. :)

I hope your latest go-round with the band works to your advantage, and that you're able to enjoy things. It'd suck to have a bad feeling about something that is so important in your life. Wishing you nothing but good luck and success.

Dave

Thank you Dave. It's really helped to talk to someone about it. Research is my thing and I did eventually find my answers. I was afraid of using my band for a while and didn't get fills, especially 'cause I lived somewhere where I couldn't be seen by a real doctor.

I'm finally on the bandwagon again and have a little perspective now that I'm older and better informed. I think it woulda been easier for me all along though, if I'd been told what's up and not had that nagging "This is not the complete truth" feeling.

Thanks again, it means a lot.

~z

Personally I rarely come on this site when I am NOT having a problem. It's only when I am having some issues and looking to see other people's experiences and get answers that I come here. So I would not think that because you see so many issues on here that this is anything like a "random sample". Don't let it scare you, but obviously do as much research as possible to be informed. And I agree with what an earlier response said about not everyone being online.

I was looking back at my lap-band journal to the notes I had taken when I was first looking at, and shortly after I got the band, and I feel like people were not exactly truthful, for instance, about complications.

I feel like I need to vent a little and share the things that were told to me, 'cause I think it's unethical to misinform patients.

1. I was told that it's really rare for bands to have to be removed, although I see a disturbing number of surgeries here, to remedy slippage, infection, kinks, port repositioning etc.

2. When I asked about the port flipping, quite a few places said they'd never heard of it, and that the patients from whom I'd heard of this, must be mistaken.

3. When I asked about the port sticking out when people lose their weight, my surgeon said that would not happen, but I've already seen pictures of people whose ports show.

4. When I went to the fill doctor that my surgeon sent me, I asked if the doctor would be seeing me and they said yes, when I saw him in the hall and asked him a question, he said I could only be seen by his assistants, as I was a liability since my surgery was done by another doctor.

5. When I was researching clinics to do the surgery, a representative from NWWLS in Everett sent me gristly pictures of a supposed counterfeit gastric band that had been put in by a Mexican doctor and removed at the NWWLS. I google image searched the name of the image and found 3 other websites for bariatric surgeons claiming they'd removed the same counterfeit band themselves. I wish I could find the picture... it was scary and unprofessional.

Anyway, those are the things I was told that were a little misleading. Have you guys ever been told stuff like that?

FYI I HAVE HAD MY BAND FOR OVER A YEAR HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH ENERGY AND FATIGUE WENT IN FOR A FULL CHECKUP THEY HAVE DISCOVERED I HAVE ESOPHAGEAL CANCER. APPARENTLY WITH THE LAP BAND YOUR ESOPHAGUS BECOMES YOUR NEW STOMACH AND IT DOES NOT HAVE THE ACIDS, FLUIDS YOUR STOMACH HAS TO HAVE food SITTING AGAINST IT WALLS. THAT DID ME IN PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY THINK ABOUT LAP BAND SURGERY, THEY NEVER TELL YOU ABOUT THIS POSSIBLE COMPLICATION. THE CANCER WAS BLEEDING CAUSING ALL MY SYMPTOMS

I was lied to also so I fully understand how u feel! I asked specific questions and they lied straight to my face!!!