Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you see results?

Just curious of when everyone started really seeing the weight come off? I was banded on 9/20 and I have lost about 15 lbs since surgery? Is this about normal? I kind of thought it might be a little more. My surgeon said I am doing great. I just had my 2 fill last week and I feel a little restriction but not a lot. I am walking twice a week for 30-45 mins and doing a light workout 3 times a week for 30-45 mins. Doc said to give it about 8-10 weeks before bumping up the workout and that after about 4 fills I should start seeing more results. I'm just kind of confused on about how much you first loose and when you start really seeing it come off.

:(

Hey Porter,

I was banded in September on the 27th. I've lost 33lbs (15 kilos) and started seeing results recently.

I've had 2 fills, but need another to make my band tighter.

I exercise 10 hours a week. I walk for an hour 4 times a week and do 2 hours of aqua aerobics 3 times a week. I'm in a plateau stage at the moment, so I've found that I've had to replace walking (which doesn't really burn that many calories) to doing Zumba. Last night I'd noticed I'd lost a kilo, so I'm guessing that's worked.

Everyone's different. I think you're doing fantastic and try not to compare yourself to other people. People lose weight faster than others because everyone's body is different. Your doc wasn't lying, you are doing great :-)

I'm lucky because I have time to do stuff like exercise because I'm a student. Others aren't so lucky.

Thanks girl! Yeah it is harder to workout as much as I want too bc I work fulltime BUT I make sure to get some type of workout in at least 5 times a day. My second week after surgery I fell and busted both knees so I couldn't do any walking for a few days. Then my third week I got a sinus infection, ear infection, and stomach bug all at once so that delayed my workout too.

:( How are you liking zumba? I have thought about doing that too.

Thanks girl! Yeah it is harder to workout as much as I want too bc I work fulltime BUT I make sure to get some type of workout in at least 5 times a day. My second week after surgery I fell and busted both knees so I couldn't do any walking for a few days. Then my third week I got a sinus infection, ear infection, and stomach bug all at once so that delayed my workout too.

:( How are you liking zumba? I have thought about doing that too.

I can imagine that if I worked fulltime I'd be too tired to do any exercise at all. I'm making the most of it before the end of the year.

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about your knees. Are they still bad? My mum had a foot and knee reconstruction and I started aqua aerobics with her which is how I got into it. She can't walk for a long time or anything, so it's good for her. Have you tried aqua aerobics? It's awesome :-D

Zumba is great, but like most workouts, it gets a bit boring after a while. I started doing Zumba and then switched to walking because I got sick of it. It's fun at first, but if you're watching the tape over and over again it can get a bit blerghhh. lol. I would rather go to a gym to do it so the workouts change each session.

I need to work more on my arms and my upper torso...It's starting to look a little imbalenced...Plus one of my legs is losing weight faster than the other (lol, what the?).

I think my weight loss has been the way it is because I've had time to do those kinds of things. I respect anyone who can work full time and still have the energy to workout.

You are doing very well. You are right on target with weight loss. Remeber it's a marathon, not a race. Keep up the excersise, it is such an important component of weight loss. Best wishes.

My knees are doing a lot better! I just rested them a few days and they were good to go. I LOVE swimming and was just thinking to myself to look into Water arobics. Too bad winter is around the corner bc my folks have a pool that I can use anytime but since its winter I have to find an indoor pool! That is great that you have the time to workout so much and good for you for sticking to it!! :blushing: I worked out yesterday on my wii fit with the new Jillian Michaels game. I LOVE it!

You are doing very well. You are right on target with weight loss. Remeber it's a marathon, not a race. Keep up the excersise, it is such an important component of weight loss. Best wishes.

thank you!! :blushing: I find myself liking to excersise now! Gotta love that feeling

I had my surgery on 9-29-10 and have only lost 14 pounds, depending on the day. sometimes it's only 12 or 13. I've had one fill and am wondering, like you, how I'm ever going to get to a small size in a year when it seems so-o-o-0 slow. I guess that's the way of the band, though, as opposed to the bypass. At least we're not gaining and maybe we'll have less loose skin?????

My knees are doing a lot better! I just rested them a few days and they were good to go. I LOVE swimming and was just thinking to myself to look into Water arobics. Too bad winter is around the corner bc my folks have a pool that I can use anytime but since its winter I have to find an indoor pool! That is great that you have the time to workout so much and good for you for sticking to it!! :) I worked out yesterday on my wii fit with the new Jillian Michaels game. I LOVE it!

I do an hour of lap swimming everyday and the is nothing quite like a Water proof MP3 player. LOVE IT. You can find them on Amazon. About $100 but since I go every day it paid for itself, at a dollar a day in just over 3 months. Personally I like lap swimming more than water

aerobics. In swim cap is a must and special chlorine Shampoo or your hair will be a wreck.

I had my surgery on 9-29-10 and have only lost 14 pounds, depending on the day. sometimes it's only 12 or 13. I've had one fill and am wondering, like you, how I'm ever going to get to a small size in a year when it seems so-o-o-0 slow. I guess that's the way of the band, though, as opposed to the bypass. At least we're not gaining and maybe we'll have less loose skin?????

You got that right!! At least we are not gaining. I feel like I am loosing inches tho. I have noticed a lot of my clothes are fitting loose the scale just isn't really reflecting it yet!! I just had my second fill last week. They told me it would take 3-4 fills before I really start seeing results! I hope thats true!! :)

I am down 17 lbs since surgery on 10/4. But, I started out at 334 also. I too expected more, but I have noticed I have more room in my pants.

I need to increase my exercise. I am walking for 40 minutes 4/week. I need to start adding some strength training too.

Edited by bayareanan

I was banded on 9/30 and so far I have lost 25.2 lbs. The only exercise I get is cleaning house and doing errands. I have had one fill earlier this month and my next fill is 12/8. I pretty much eat what I want. My problem with food was not bad food choices, but Portion Control. When I go to the movies I get the kids tray that comes with a little popcorn and fruit snack instead of the tub of popcorn and gallon of soda. I only have 1cc in my band and I do notice a small difference but not too much. I would have lost more weight, but I had a minor set back from celebrating my best friends 40th birthday with senseless calories from the multiple margaritas that were consumed LOL!!! We had so much fun, but the down side is I gained several pounds from those calorie infested drinks and the airplane ride seemed to alter my weight too. I have a friend that had the bypass and she says that when she travels she notices a small difference in her weight even though her eating habits haven't changed. Idk, but when I got home I lost a few pounds in two days. Then it seems a week later I lost the rest of the weight I gained. I haven't noticed too much change in my clothes because the are all stretch band and I always wore my tops bigger because I didn't like my tops to hug my fluffy rolls. I hope all of our expectation come true with our weight loss, we might have to have more patience then we thought....

It depends on the individual. The main thing my doctor said is that 1-2lbs a week is met. So the first two to three weeks is the greatest weight loss and then after that it slows to 1-2 lbs a week. That means only 4-8lbs a week. That isn't a heck of a lot but it is something. So you figure if you have to loose 80lbs, at the least you will need 20 months to complete that goal. At the best, 10 months. Hope this helps you out. Sounds like you are doing great.

I had surgery on 9/27 and have lost 24 lbs. I started at 231. I just recently started working out but I really think that is going to make the difference for me.

I just got my second fill and have (around) 7ccs in my band. My dr is aggresive and very liberal. I like it :thumbup: I am feeling proper restriction now.

I think you are doing great!!! Like the above poster said this is a marathon not a race. Slow and steady will win!

Congrats on you loss so far! :)

I was banded July 30th and have lost 40lbs...I lost 15 lbs really quick than it came off about a pound or 2 a week for a while. I just started really noticing and having people really notice...it was about the 35lb marker...I can finally see it in my face and the fit of my clothes. Iv gone down 2 sizes.....for me, even though I was losing it took a couple months to really start noticing it myself. :)