Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight with the lapband

Which option best suits your weight loss experience with the lap band?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which option best suits your weight loss experience with the lap band?

• I have had the band for 3 years and under and with work, the weight has continued to fall.
    • I have had the band for 3 years and under, the weight has fallen slowly, its been a long hard slog!
    • I have had the band for 3 years and under, my weight is falling, but it goes up and down, i have to work hard.
    • I have had the band for 3 years and under, i have gained weight in recent months, but am going to sort it out.
    • I have had the band for 3 years and under, i have gained weight in recent months, for various reasons i am not thinking about sorting things out right now.
    • I have had the band for over 3 years and with work, the weight continued to fall steadily and remains stable.
    • I have had the band for over 3 years, the weight has fallen slowly, its been a long hard slog!
    • I have had the band for over 3 years, my weight has fallen, but it does go up and down, i have to work hard.
    • I have had the band for over 3 years, i have gained weight in recent months, but am going to sort it out.
    • I have had the band for 3 years and under, i have gained weight in recent months, for various reasons i am not thinking about sorting things out right now.

Hello everyone, as i am exploring the boards here i am discovering the uniqueness and variety between different peoples band experiences.

I am seeing that the band is no quick fix, and requires as much work and motivation as might be required in the process of losing weight without it.

I have become aware that some peoples experiences change, sometimes they feel ultra motivated and positive and the weight is falling off fast, and sometimes they might be experiencing a low ebb and actually weight begins to come back on for a while.

I would really appreciate it if anyone that has experienced these low ebbs and put on weight could share with me the challenges they faced losing it again. Do you think the band helped the weight that you put back on to drop off more quickly than it would have done if you didnt have it?

I also invite anyone who is willing to fill in a poll (if it has worked), to give us an idea of peoples most common experiences with the rate they lose weight, i would be very grateful for your participation.

I would also really appreciate it if this thread were treated with great sensitivity. I think that it is safe to assume that people here know what is required in order to lose weight and get back on top of things, hearing it reiterated in a judgmental way amongst other things can be depressing and alienating.

All posts with positive and constructive encouragement are welcome.

Many thanks,

Love Dune

PS. I am trying to fix this now, but option 10 of the poll is wrong, it is supposed to be for anyone who has had the band for over 3 years.

Edited by Dune
including explanation of mistake in poll options.

Hi dune! I didn't answer the poll because a couple of them fit me. When I was banded, I lost 80 pounds, including preop in a very short time. Started preop about the last day of may and by The end of October I was down 80. I then regained 50 over th following 10 months with poor old eating habits. Now ive lost almost all of the 50 with a sensible diet and lots of exercise. So I have gained weight, but when I lose, I lose fairly rapidly - on average 10-11 pounds a month. But it's definitely hard work and requires me to use a certain amount of self control. I cook like crazy and I am very creative with meals so I look forward to eating food that is delicious and also healthy. If I were eating frozen weight watchers meals everyday, I would probably not be able to do it.

The hardest part about getting on track was just calling the gym, logging back into lbt, logging back into my food log etc. It was hard to face it. But now that I'm into a food and exercise routine it's become easier. I really don't love to workout. It's something I've come to accept and vie also accepted the fact that I have to do it anyways. It's a good thing to come to terms with. However I love how I feel when I'm working out. So that is a great motivator.

Losing and relosing weight is hard and takes work, but when I work hard the weight falls off fast. :(

Hi dune! I didn't answer the poll because a couple of them fit me. When I was banded, I lost 80 pounds, including preop in a very short time. Started preop about the last day of may and by The end of October I was down 80. I then regained 50 over th following 10 months with poor old eating habits. Now ive lost almost all of the 50 with a sensible diet and lots of exercise. So I have gained weight, but when I lose, I lose fairly rapidly - on average 10-11 pounds a month. But it's definitely hard work and requires me to use a certain amount of self control. I cook like crazy and I am very creative with meals so I look forward to eating food that is delicious and also healthy. If I were eating frozen weight watchers meals everyday, I would probably not be able to do it.

The hardest part about getting on track was just calling the gym, logging back into lbt, logging back into my food log etc. It was hard to face it. But now that I'm into a food and exercise routine it's become easier. I really don't love to workout. It's something I've come to accept and vie also accepted the fact that I have to do it anyways. It's a good thing to come to terms with. However I love how I feel when I'm working out. So that is a great motivator.

Losing and relosing weight is hard and takes work, but when I work hard the weight falls off fast. :(

HAHA, yes, i saw the picture of that lovely cabbage dish in your blog spot, looks LUSH!!!

Cheers for this isa', i am starting to think that perhaps the lapband could be something i could work with and would be of benefit. I do put on and lose weight in cycles, but perhaps with the band, i would lose weight (that i would usually lose in my healthy state) at a far faster rate than normal, which might help me to stay there through the satisfaction of being lighter.

Many thanks,

Dune

I did answer your poll...

3 or more years, with work steadily lost weight and am stable. I have been banded for almost 2.5 yrs but have been eating like a banded person since 8 months b/4 surgery.

My take on band life....if a person works the band, is diligent on sticking to his/her surgeons guidelines the first year, there will be some effort but the weight will come off. And, it will also set you up for a lifetime of learned healthy eating habits.

I did answer your poll...

3 or more years, with work steadily lost weight and am stable. I have been banded for almost 2.5 yrs but have been eating like a banded person since 8 months b/4 surgery.

My take on band life....if a person works the band, is diligent on sticking to his/her surgeons guidelines the first year, there will be some effort but the weight will come off. And, it will also set you up for a lifetime of learned healthy eating habits.

Excellent! thanks apples. If there is one thing i am learning from everyones answers to my questions on this site, is that the results are only relative to our commitment and motivation to make it work, its no easy fix aye. Good on ya for all the weight you've lost, you look amazing!

Love Dune.

I have been banded a little over a year and I am at goal. It has been easy for me since I stopped trying to lose. Monday through Friday mornings I get on the scales if they say 130-133 I eat more and I eat "looser", if they say 134-135 I tighten up my eating and I eat like I did when I was losing.

Saturday and Sunday I eat whatever appeals to me. (Portion requirements are still in effect but food choices are unlimited.)

Excellent! thanks apples. If there is one thing i am learning from everyones answers to my questions on this site, is that the results are only relative to our commitment and motivation to make it work, its no easy fix aye. Good on ya for all the weight you've lost, you look amazing!

Love Dune.

Thanks for the compliment, Dune. I truly believe that the "miracle moment" with the lapband or any other WLS comes prior to surgery. (To Oprah, it would be the "AH-HA" moment).

Working diligently to find and understand all the information a person can, making a commitment to yourself that you will give 100% to making a reasonable plan for yourself that will work to get the weight off after surgery, and just plain and simple being prepared for the life changes that will need to take place in order to be successful and that there is no looking back.

Hi Dune,

The last year, since surgery, for me has been a long slow haul. All the weight I've lost and kept off has been pre-banding. I've lost 26 pounds since banding, but put it back on during the months I was overfilled and eating slider foods. For me, this last year has been a learning process about how the band will work for me...and, as a result, I'm once again starting to lose.

None of the WLS will prevent us from gaining weight if we don't figure out how to work our particular tool. :)

Hi Dune,

The last year, since surgery, for me has been a long slow haul. All the weight I've lost and kept off has been pre-banding. I've lost 26 pounds since banding, but put it back on during the months I was overfilled and eating slider foods. For me, this last year has been a learning process about how the band will work for me...and, as a result, I'm once again starting to lose.

None of the WLS will prevent us from gaining weight if we don't figure out how to work our particular tool. :)

Thanks for this ElfiePoo, its encouraging to hear that things are getting back on track. I am seeing many success stories, but i am also seeing that actually it takes a lot of hard work and can be quite a hilly journey. I wonder to myself if apart from the weight loss being quicker, if the hillyness with the band feels different from the hillyness that some people felt before it.

If there is one thing i have been learning, its that it aint no quick fix and this is giving me food for thought (hahahaha for want of a better phrase) xxx

Many thanks for sharing your experience,

Love Dune.

I am noticing from my poll results that there are many people who are having great success in the 3 years and under category. This is very encouraging and good on you all. But so far there has only been one vote in the 3 years and over and still going strong category. This could either be because, the 3 years and over people dont hang here much any more because they are getting on with their lives with their svelte figures and healthily maintained eating plans, or it is also a possibility that there are not many success stories that are over three years. I think and hope that the former is more likely, but it is something i feel important for me to consider and just thought i would share.

What are your thoughts?

Love Dune.

Part of it may be that the band has only been covered by most insurances in the US for about 3 years, and the majority of members here are from the US.

Just a thought.