Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Petrified - Surgery this Wednesday

Don't get me wrong, not scared of surgery at all, I've been thru many. I'm scared to death of what happens next. I keep hearing people saying that they know someone that didn't lose any weight. I feel like I'm completely unprepared for this. I don't know what I'm supposed to do what I'm supposed to eat. I've got so many emotions and I've been so depressed the past few days. I don't know anyone who's done this and I haven't told anyone I'm doing it except my husband and parents b/c I didn't want anyone to sabotage me as people have done for years while I've been trying to lose the weight and kept gaining more. I feel so alone and I really have no one to talk to about it b/c no one in my life gets it. I come from a family of thin people...I got heavy as a result of injuries and surgeries that left me unable to exercise but definitely able to eat. Sadly even after deciding to do this almost a year ago, I've GAINED over 30 pounds in the past few months when I should have been trying to lose. I think in the past week I've eaten several pounds of chocolate b/c I'm going to miss it so much. I guess I'm angry too b/c I let myself get this out of control that I'm just shy of 300 pounds and I used to weigh 120 before all the surgeries started. I shouldn't use that as an excuse either b/c I dieted many times over the years and got down to a reasonable size but never smaller than a 14 in the past 10 years. Now I have only 3 pairs of pants I can squeeze into and I've got to get control of my body again!!! I'm hoping that this is the answer but I'm so scared b/c what if it isn't??? I can't keep on this path!!

Hey,

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am at the very beginning stages of this process......have my first lap band meeting at the end of the month. I'm scared and I haven't even gotten my feet wet. But relish in the fact that you are about to start a life changing challenge!! You have a support system and obvious goals in mind. DON'T let your fear debilitate you before you've even started!! As with anything there is a learning curve but you have to trust in your Dr and nursing staff to guide you on the right track nutritionally. Take care and keep your eyes on the prize!!! :smile2:

Don't get me wrong, not scared of surgery at all, I've been thru many. I'm scared to death of what happens next. I keep hearing people saying that they know someone that didn't lose any weight. I feel like I'm completely unprepared for this. I don't know what I'm supposed to do what I'm supposed to eat. I've got so many emotions and I've been so depressed the past few days. I don't know anyone who's done this and I haven't told anyone I'm doing it except my husband and parents b/c I didn't want anyone to sabotage me as people have done for years while I've been trying to lose the weight and kept gaining more. I feel so alone and I really have no one to talk to about it b/c no one in my life gets it. I come from a family of thin people...I got heavy as a result of injuries and surgeries that left me unable to exercise but definitely able to eat. Sadly even after deciding to do this almost a year ago, I've GAINED over 30 pounds in the past few months when I should have been trying to lose. I think in the past week I've eaten several pounds of chocolate b/c I'm going to miss it so much. I guess I'm angry too b/c I let myself get this out of control that I'm just shy of 300 pounds and I used to weigh 120 before all the surgeries started. I shouldn't use that as an excuse either b/c I dieted many times over the years and got down to a reasonable size but never smaller than a 14 in the past 10 years. Now I have only 3 pairs of pants I can squeeze into and I've got to get control of my body again!!! I'm hoping that this is the answer but I'm so scared b/c what if it isn't??? I can't keep on this path!!

It's normal to be scared, but don't let it prevent you from doing what you know you have to do.

I know where you are coming from. I was just banded on Oct 12th and I was petrified because I figured I would fail yet again. I gained weight in the months before my surgery because I thought "I will never be able to have this again!" and I ate like a fool! Now I know nothing is "forbidden" as long as you don't overindulge.

You are also worrying too much about what other people have to say or what they may think. This is all about YOU! When I decided to have surgery this is the one time I just did what I wanted to do. It doesn't have anything to do w/ anyone else. If you really want this, YOU CAN DO IT! I also come from a family of skinny people, and I plan to be classified as skinny again myself.

When you feel alone, log into this forum. There are lots of people here to talk to and help you. I've gotten a lot of help and good advice here.

You also mentioned you don't know what to eat. Ask your doctor's office if they have suggestions or you can look here. There are lots of good recipes and suggestions here.

Instead of being angry w/ yourself, you should be proud because you are doing something about your weight. You didn't just sit back and do nothing. You stepped up and said "I need help".

I really, really hope this works out for you. Like I said, I just started this journey and I felt like you before it started. Things will work out better then you think they will.

Good Luck to you!!

Frankly, if I were in your shoes, I'd postpone the surgery and talk to a trained mental health professional. If something is worth doing, it is worth waiting for.

@Crecia1975, that's just what I needed to hear right now. I am not scheduled until Feb and the surgeon office is not submitting paperwork for approval until Jan, to give me time to complete the new requirements. I started reading the complications thread and oh my, doubt started creeping in.

Well, I went thru with it yesterday. Yesterday was really sore and couldn't eat at all. Today, I tried some food, slowly did 2 Protein Shakes and some mashed potatoes and sugar free pudding and almost all 8 glasses of Water. My doctor isn't of the school of doing a liquid diet for a while and wants me on soft food immediately. I'm sore and still scared but now that I've made the leap, there's no turning back!!! I am taking care of me and let my parents take care of my kids and they will be with them till tomorrow evening so I can get the rest I need which will reduce my anxiety. I have a follow up in a week and will start working with a nutritionist if I need to. I'm much more hopeful than I was 2 days ago.

You have to remember that the LAP-BAND® is a tool, its not magic. You have to work it. It just happens to work very well. Did you get pre-op diet instructions of any kind? Does your surgeon have a support team?

Hang in there

Im not trying to sound like a broken record, Im sure you've read this on here many times but the band will do its job of restricting food intake but its still your job to make the right choices! That being said, its not as hard as your thinking(at least not for me). Everyone has felt the way you do. Everyone looks at it differently but you dont have to stop eating chocolate or anything else you like, you just wont eat nearly as much. You'll find that things you once liked you might not care for down the road. Definitely go into this with a positive attitude, it will make it easier. Remember your doing this for yourself, be your own support, go to lapband support groups at your hospital and remember youll always get alot of support on here. "Dont sweat the small stuff"! Just sweat to be small.