Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24 hours out of surgery

I am in a lot of pain and still groggy. I am taking pain meds just every four hours or so. I knew it wasn't going to feel like a lazy stroll down a river, but I feel like I did 1000 crunches, it hurts to stand up, hurts to sit down. How did you all sleep with out the hospital bed?

The day after my surgery was the worst...I felt like I was kicked in the stomach/ribs....I was afraid it was going to last forever... I had surgery on Thursday, felt almost 100% better by Sunday. Just take the pain meds as needed and rest...I propped myself up on pillows, because it hurt to pull myself up to get out of bed. Hope you feel better soon!

oh....and a heating pad was my best friend!

I had to sleep in our recliner. There is no way I could get in and out of bed or get in a good position. It hurt trying to get in and out of it.

It will get better before you know it and it's so worth it!!

I am also one day out and feel like I have pulled abdominal muscles.. but I am glad to hear that this is the worst day.. can only get better from here, right?!

Other than gas-x strips and walking, does anyone have any suggestions for the gas pain?

Skat no one even recommended gas x strips. I was told to walk it out, walk, walk, walk. So that is what I am doing. So far it is decreasing very slowly. I joked with my husband and said, "why don't they put a tube in your rear and let it just come out that way. Not efficient but it feels like there should be some way to get rid of the excess air.

HEATING PAD! thats what helped me the most after surgery with the gas pain. also propping up with pillows, I even folded up an old comforter and put it behind and underneath all my pillows to help. One trick i learned was that once I was a little less sore and was somewhat able to get out of bed, I would bend my knee up towards my stomach and hold on to my leg to pull myself up, i know it sounds weird but it worked really well. i know it feels like it will be forever before you can rest well but it will only be a little while. So dope yourself up well and rest as much as you can. Try to walk as much as you can as often as you can. and drink away!

I passed out int he shower in my first week out of surgery. I was washing my hair at the time and I started to feel short of breath. I was fixated on finishing wahsing my hair and getting clean so I could lay down.

Apparently I overdid it just from that and I'm very lucky I didn't fall through the glass.

Don't overdo anything in your first week. You need to lay down and rest and just relax :-) If you feel like something's not right, then it's ok to have a lay down (obviously you need to shower, but if you start feeling weird, don't push yourself).

Be selfish.

The more you move your stomach muscles, the more likely the port will detatch itself from the abdominal wall, so let everything heal and sleep a lot and be good to yourself.

:-)

Thanks everyone, I am feeling pretty good today. Have to attack my school work and get as much done as possible. Hope you all have a great day. Feeling better, still gassy but not in pain. Though I had my pain meds at 5:30 last night so who knows. LOL I am on every four hours or as needed. Trying to use them as little as possible.

I am1 day post op and had a very bad night,. Nausea and pain. Trouble urinating. This morning a bit better but i am honestly surprised at the level of pain. The percocet made me nauseaous and didnt help with the gas pain anyway. I am sure in the end it will be worth it but right now, feel like crap!

I propped pillows behind my back so I could sit up and sleep comfortably. I also took all of my pain medication and phenergan because they helped me sleep much better.