Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess I'm a success story!

I have often started one of these threads, but would stop after writing a bit because while the LAP-BAND®®® has helped me lose weight and now maintain my weight for nearly two years, it seems crazy to feel like a success. I started with a low-ish BMI (37) and losing 90lbs+ didn't seem significant enough to class me as a success, I thought!

And I just felt that I was very fortunate that the band worked for me. Yes, I exercised - 40 mins 3 times a week when I was losing - but I didn't count calories, I didn't do low carb, I just got regular fills, ate when I was hungry and in time, my addiction to food diminished and I just lost weight. The band helped me with Portion Control, but more importantly, it stopped me thinking and wanting food all the time. Does that make me a success? You be the judge lol!

It's funny but opposed to other ways in which others lost weight, I think, for me, not counting calories and not worrying about not eating certain food groups actually meant that I stopped thinking about food, and that was why, in my opinion, the band worked for me. Food stopped being an obsession.

A lot of people ask me what I ate while I was losing. Well, everything really, just in much smaller portions. I ate the odd portion of chocolate sometimes, had an ice cream on occasion, but I ate everything in small portions, and as a result, didn't really ever feel deprived of anything.

The mindset that seemed to work for me consisted of general guidelines that my (Australian) Dr gave me and ones I made up for myself. These included:

• Only eating when I was hungry. I often felt 'peckish' and would think of food, get cravings and feel like something naughty. But before I went to get something to eat, I'd ask myself if I was really hungry. If my stomache wasn't growling, I wouldn't eat. I'd tell myself I'd eat when I was really, truly hungry, and the funny thing is, when I really was hungry, I usually felt like something savoury and not chocolate or sweets or anything. Over time, the 'peckishness' seemed to stop.

• always eating just enough food to 'tide me over' and telling myself that if I was still really hungry in 30 mins, I could have some more food. In all the time I've been banded, I've gone back for more food just once after the 30 mins. Now I just automatically eat small portions, even when I could easily eat more.

• Exercising even if I didn't feel like it. I don't think anyone feels like exercising. But afterwards, I'd jump off my spin bike and do a little dance, and remind myself of how good I felt. I had set days that I'd have to exercise, and the only time I didn't do it was when I had the flu for a week. Otherwise, sore or tired or grumpy, I owed the bike the 40 mins and I'd do it, even if it was past midnight, even if I couldn't think of anything worse than exercising. No excuses. I don't exercise much on a formal level anymore, but being active has become very much something I just am now.

• Allowing myself loads of rewards for getting to mini goals: I think we are truly hardest on ourselves and we don't think we deserve to Celebrate our successes if they're 'small'. I wrote down all the rewards I would get myself once I reached this weight or that weight, and I made sure I rewarded myself. Every single bit of motivation helps!

• Telling myself that I wouldn't have to live like this forever - fighting the cravings, exercising like a demon, only ever eating when I was hungry, not indulging myself. That helped me with the will power side of things, feeling like it was just a temporary thing I had to do. Yet funnily enough a lot of the things I was doing are now habits that have become a part of my life. I now only eat when I'm hungry (and sometimes when I'm not thinking about it, I forget to eat!), I no longer have to fight cravings (just don't have many cravings anymore), I remain active and am quite fit in general. I don't have to fight to maintain because the band lifestyle has become my 'new' lifestyle and that allows me to maintain easily.

• Making sure I had regular fills - this I think is crucial. The band works best when it physically prevents you from eating too much. I have never been ashamed to use my band to it's fullest potential. It stopped me over-indulging yes, but it also had the unexpected effect of making me understand how little food I actually needed to survive. And taught me to eat to live and not live to eat.

After getting to my goal weight, I had a lower body lift, and a week ago, I got breast augmentation. I still am a little stunned by the chick looking back at me in the mirror in the mornings, but I've never been happier with my life. I now surf, cycle, play soccer with my 4yo - I feel like I'm finally living the life I was meant to live.

And as glib as it might sound, it just wasn't that hard to lose the weight in hindsight. At the time I was losing, it seemed so difficult and seemed to last forever, but in the scheme of my whole life, it was really only less than a year for me to get to my goal weight. The band was an absoloute godsend to me, and I appreciate every single day of my life since it was put in.

Now can I also add the disclaimer that I am in no way advocating that my way of losing weight is the way anyone else should. I believe that band rules are there for a reason, and am all for doing whatever works for you. For me, it was more about mindset than particular details about diet or exercise, and the main lesson I learnt from all this is that you can re-train your brain to do the things you need to do to lose weight and keep it off. But I also know that without the band, I couldn't have done it, not on my own.

In the end, the proof is in the pudding though. I have been big all my life and I now have a BMI of 21 and have maintained for 18 months. I don't care why it worked, I'm just grateful it did!

Edited by lellow

Wow! you sure are, congrats at being a success story. I, also, am a success story. I made it to goal in less than a year. I think maintenance is the most difficult part of the whole thing, though. You look great and seem to have no trouble maintaining your loss. I see by your after picture that you are enjoying your new body. Good luck in the future and bless you for sharing!!!:rolleyes:

I'd say you are very much so a success story, and you look wonderful!! I enjoyed reading your post, and I'm really glad you didn't stop this time.

You make a lot of good points and I can only pray that I can get to the place where you are now. I can't imagine my life not revolving around food. I just got my 2nd fill and I finally have restriction, but I keep eating too fast and getting stuck. It's only been a week, but I've gotten stuck almost every day since the fill. I am going to bookmark your post, or better yet print it out, so I can read it for motivation.....thanks again!

Tracy

:rolleyes: All I can say is "Thanks!" I needed that!

Congrats; you look awesome and great post!!

How could you think that 90+ pounds wasn't a success?

Congratulations!! And thanks so much for taking the time to post on your success. You wouldn't believe how often I come to this board for continued inspiration. I've done well so far with the band but I can't wait until I can come here and talk about how I achieved it. You have definitely given me some insight on what I need to focus on and how determined I need to be in order to be as successful as you have been in reaching and maintaining your weight loss goals.

I'm glad that my story 'spoke' to some of you. Three girls at my workplace have been banded in the last 6 months and I repeated what I considered to be my change of mindset so many times to them that I thought perhaps I should write it all down! I wondered even if I wrote it if it would make sense. I'm glad it did!

Thanks for the post! 90 pounds is a huge success (just go try and lift 90 pounds of anything and realize that you hauled that around on a daily basis). I really liked the guidelines you listed and will use some of them, myself. Congrats again and g'day.

Thank you, thank you. It is so good to hear such support and you ARE a success story. Thanks!

90 pounds, is no small feat, go and give yourself a congrats, you deserve it. You look amazing. I've lost almost 40 since i started the pre op diet, and i'm glad that i'm loosing weight and my girl parts are comming back into my body, hopefuly i won't go flat as a board though. you look amazing and your post was a good read.

You are truely amazing and such a great spirited person. I loved reading your success story! I am going to aim to be just as successful as you are! Thanks for taking the time to tell us success1.gif

90lbs is amazing! but I understand you not feeling like it was a success because for so long,you have felt that you weren't a success, well sister you need to change your song, because you are one now!

Congrats ! you look so good. we need your story, we need to hear that life after is great.

I love your tattoos. planning one for myself as a reward!!

Hey readytogoforit, once I reach my goal I am going to get myself a symbolic tattoo for the occasion. I have always wanted to wait to get one so that it means something cuz I never knew what I wanted....this will be perfect.