Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

Hi November 2010 bandsters, I have allowed "life" to interrupt my focus and progress. Since March I have had some transitions and distractions and finding it hard to get back on track. I am very surprised at myself because since even pre-surgery, I was so hyped to do all the right things - and was doing them very welll. I weigh myself every week still so that things don't get too out of control before I take action. I've been flucuating between 212 and 216 for several months now (with no exercise). I've got to get it back together...and will! I am not in need of any fills right now because I feel pretty tight to the point I've got to watch how I consume anything. However, my stress level is such that I have emotional cravings and hunger. I'm getting away for 2 days to regroup and rest this week. Hopefully, when I return I can refocus on the right things. Any added advice from anybody?

One last thing, I need to change my weight loss goals. Originally wanted to lose 100 lbs by Nov 22, 2011. I'm at about 52 lbs loss. I'm not too disappointed because I went in wanting to do this slowly. I am hoping now that by Dec 31, 2011, to at least hit "Onederland." Now THAT would be a wonderful goal to meet!! But if I don't make some changes NOW, that won't happen either.

Edited by JaGo

Hi November 2010 bandsters, I have allowed "life" to interrupt my focus and progress. Since March I have had some transitions and distractions and finding it hard to get back on track. I am very surprised at myself because since even pre-surgery, I was so hyped to do all the right things - and was doing them very welll. I weigh myself every week still so that things don't get too out of control before I take action. I've been flucuating between 212 and 216 for several months now (with no exercise). I've got to get it back together...and will! I am not in need of any fills right now because I feel pretty tight to the point I've got to watch how I consume anything. However, my stress level is such that I have emotional cravings and hunger. I'm getting away for 2 days to regroup and rest this week. Hopefully, when I return I can refocus on the right things. Any added advice from anybody?

One last thing, I need to change my weight loss goals. Originally wanted to lose 100 lbs by Nov 22, 2011. I'm at about 52 lbs loss. I'm not too disappointed because I went in wanting to do this slowly. I am hoping now that by Dec 31, 2011, to at least hit "Onederland." Now THAT would be a wonderful goal to meet!! But if I don't make some changes NOW, that won't happen either.

JaGo,

Thanks for posting this. I think it's hard to adjust expectations (particularly, expectations, pre-op) to realities...of life, of weight loss. It sounds like your mini-retreat, to re-focus your head and your expectations, will be just what you need. I am in a somewhat similar situation, since (as I have noted on this bulletin board) my knee - which needs replacement -- has precluded me from participating in a lot of exercise options I would ordinarily seek out. And I found myself stuck at the same weight loss point.

I can say that my 'solution' was to get another .5 fill (I am now at - I think - about 7 or 8 ccs) and to focus even more on my eating habits. I have finally seen the scale go down. Not dramatically, as I'm seeing about a pound a week. But I am very grateful and happy for that...that is progress, even slow. I also have some food that I can't eat any more. Most Thai food, for some reason, is off my menu (not chicken coconut Soup, although that would be a treat); probably not satay, but Pad Thai, Crazy Noodles, even Masaman Curry are all off the list - I feel ill when I try to eat them. Maki Sushi (the rolls) are off as well. And long Pasta (spaghetti, buccatini, linguine) are gone as well, and in fact many pastas are a 'danger zone' for me.

One big learning is about eating slowly. If I start to feel queasy, I put down my fork, sit, and WAIT. If the feeling passes, I resume. And if not, I'm done. I've also learned that eating a yogurt instead of a rushed meal is always better: eating fast is a prescription for illness. Better to wait till there's time to really sit there and chew.

I hope that you find your own ways to get back on track. My sense is that it is a matter of trial and error, and all of it, a journey.

Best,

Deb WS

Friends,

I just got a "happy anniversary" message from the operators of this forum. And that set me to thinking: it's a year for all of us, I think. And what would we wish when we blew the virtual candles out that Celebrate that year? So I thought I'd pose this question to you all:

- In the year that has passed since you had surgery, what is the SINGLE biggest learning you have had about the surgery, the process, food, etc?

- As you look toward the year to come, what is the ONE WISH that you would make for yourself?

I can't wait to see your responses! (And I'll post mine on the actual anniversary day of my surgery!)

Deb WS

I learned that i have more willpower than i ever thought. I never thought i could go 3 weeks on only liquids. I never thought i could count calories and exercise almost everyday. I just never thought i could do those things which over the past year had worked along with the band to bring me closer to my goal. I was banded november 12th last year my weight was 309lbs my current weight is 221 and i still have weight to lose but i am proud of myself for having lost 88lbs. The one wish i have for myself is that i reach my goal weight and feel the self confidence that i have never been able to feel because the weight held me back from doing many of the things i wanted to do.

My bandiversary is November 9th, so to reward myself and prove to myself how strong I have become and what I am capable of, I will be climbing the Sears Tower in Chicago (yes I know it is now Willis but will always be Sears to me). On Sunday November 6th, I will climb 103 stories that is 2,109 stairs. I have lost 78 pounds, still have about 50 to go but am so happy to feel in control and powerful. Good luck to all of us regardless of where we are on our journey!! WE CAN DO THIS!

Well you have company here. I haven't been as dedicated to working out like i was this Spring and early Summer. I've been stalled at a 53lb loss. A friend of mine had a really good point. I told her i really didn't start getting restriction until March 2011, so she suggested perhaps by March 2012 you'll hit your goal. So that's how i'm seeing things.

Well November Bandsters, I am replying to Deb's questions. I joined the November Bandsters posts even though I had surgery October 27th because I was so close to Novemeber and that is when my birthday is. :rolleyes: I have learned a lot about my self this past year and also how much of an emotional attachment I used to have with food. I have lost 76 lbs to date and feel great. I have had few set backs along the journey, I hurt my knee exercising and had to have knee surgery 3 weeks ago but have not gained one lb and have continued to loss even though it has been slow these past 3 months. My body responded well to exercise and I really was able to lose inches which really helped me drop cloths sizes. I have went from a size 24 to a size 12 in a year. My goal was a size 10 in a year but I know I will get there by the end of the this year or shortly after. I have not regrets except I wish I had the surgery earlier. This has been the best opportunity for me to learn my self and develop healthier habits and behavors. I have everyone has done well and look forward to learning where everyone is.

Hi, November bandsters! Tomorrow is the beginning of November, which means our 1 year anniversary is coming up soon! Personally, I am NOT at the weight loss I thought I would be at this point, but I am happy to say that I am satisfied with my weight loss. I had hit a stand still for about 3-4 months hangin' out at around 200 lbs, which is about 50 pound weight loss for me. I went to see my doctor for a regular check up and he assured me that what I was experiencing was absolutely normal. He also asked me why. My response was that I was naughty. LOL...I had gotten burned out with constantly watching what I was eating, exercising, etc. Again, he said that was normal. His next response was, "how did you get to this point? You didn't start this journey by doing everything all at once. You made changes one at a time. What is ONE thing you can focus on?" I chose to focus on exercising. So, I set my focus on exercising for the month and will go back to see him on my anniversary date of November 8. Of course I never threw my diet completely out of the window while I was at a stand still. I never gained weight, I've been holding steady. 2 weeks ago, I started the C25K. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is the "couch to 5K." It gets you to be able to run for 3 miles (5K) by slowly building up your endurance. It is an 8 week program and so far it's working great. I've always wanted to run for exercise, but usually get discouraged. The c25k is actually fun! I just started week 3 today and have noticed my weight down a couple more pounds since I've started and my legs feel like they want to run when I haven't done it for a couple of days. Also, they say that it takes 6 weeks to develop a habit. SO, if we can keep up with the exercise for 6 weeks, maybe exercise can be my addiction instead of something harmful to me.

It's my one year bandaversary!

82 pounds lost and a whole lot of knowledge gained. I'm glad I did it, but it's been a long learning curve for me. I'm slightly disappointed I haven't lost more, but that's the way it is, I guess. I've struggled with a lot of things this year: problems with my two teenage kids, money issues, career issues, and most of all my chronic bad health. So to lose this much is a win.

Hi, November bandsters! Tomorrow is the beginning of November, which means our 1 year anniversary is coming up soon! Personally, I am NOT at the weight loss I thought I would be at this point, but I am happy to say that I am satisfied with my weight loss. I had hit a stand still for about 3-4 months hangin' out at around 200 lbs, which is about 50 pound weight loss for me. I went to see my doctor for a regular check up and he assured me that what I was experiencing was absolutely normal. He also asked me why. My response was that I was naughty. LOL...I had gotten burned out with constantly watching what I was eating, exercising, etc. Again, he said that was normal. His next response was, "how did you get to this point? You didn't start this journey by doing everything all at once. You made changes one at a time. What is ONE thing you can focus on?" I chose to focus on exercising. So, I set my focus on exercising for the month and will go back to see him on my anniversary date of November 8. Of course I never threw my diet completely out of the window while I was at a stand still. I never gained weight, I've been holding steady. 2 weeks ago, I started the C25K. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is the "couch to 5K." It gets you to be able to run for 3 miles (5K) by slowly building up your endurance. It is an 8 week program and so far it's working great. I've always wanted to run for exercise, but usually get discouraged. The c25k is actually fun! I just started week 3 today and have noticed my weight down a couple more pounds since I've started and my legs feel like they want to run when I haven't done it for a couple of days. Also, they say that it takes 6 weeks to develop a habit. SO, if we can keep up with the exercise for 6 weeks, maybe exercise can be my addiction instead of something harmful to me.

CONGRATULATIONS, GRose!!!! 82 pounds is such an accomplishment. I hope your weight loss has done something to improve your health problems.

Congratulations on your significant progress!! I hope one day to be able to run with stamina myself...I'll get there!!

Yesterday was my one year anniversary. I spent the day so busily that I didn't stop to remember and reflect...but I want to now. As I have said before, I regret not one minute of this decision. I feel better, look better, am happier, am healthier. I have not lost the weight I wanted to -- it is very slow to come off and until I get my knee replaced (Feb. 19) I am not likely to be very active...but my eating habits and my relationship with food are much, much healthier than they once were.

I hope, in the next year, to lose another 30 lbs. If this could happen, very gradually, it would be wonderful. But I will try to be patient and be content at being the tortoise in the race, rather than the hare, knowing that getting there is the ultimate goal. Meanwhile I continue to focus on healthy lifestyle and eating, I add things to my list of "no thank you" that make me feel ill or unhealthy, and find that, increasingly, fresh fruits and vegetables are my friend in every sense.

On November 9th, I will turn 60 (how did this happen, I wonder?). I have much to celebrate: a wonderful family, the blessings of life. And I will also Celebrate the gift for a LONGER, better life that have been given to me by having this surgery. Happy anniversary, November bandsters. May we all be well.

Deb WS

weight.png

DebWS,

I love your post! You not only have a great outlook, you are so positive. I too am 60 (as of July 2011) and am feeling better and better. I do not regret this decision either!

JaGo

Yesterday was my one year anniversary. I spent the day so busily that I didn't stop to remember and reflect...but I want to now. As I have said before, I regret not one minute of this decision. I feel better, look better, am happier, am healthier. I have not lost the weight I wanted to -- it is very slow to come off and until I get my knee replaced (Feb. 19) I am not likely to be very active...but my eating habits and my relationship with food are much, much healthier than they once were.

I hope, in the next year, to lose another 30 lbs. If this could happen, very gradually, it would be wonderful. But I will try to be patient and be content at being the tortoise in the race, rather than the hare, knowing that getting there is the ultimate goal. Meanwhile I continue to focus on healthy lifestyle and eating, I add things to my list of "no thank you" that make me feel ill or unhealthy, and find that, increasingly, fresh fruits and vegetables are my friend in every sense.

On November 9th, I will turn 60 (how did this happen, I wonder?). I have much to celebrate: a wonderful family, the blessings of life. And I will also Celebrate the gift for a LONGER, better life that have been given to me by having this surgery. Happy anniversary, November bandsters. May we all be well.

Deb WS

weight.png