Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

in weight watchers its 3 points for 4 melba toasts and a wedge of laughing cow.. sooo good for that afternoon crunchy salty snack! and skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are amazing too!

The growling stomach part is exactly what I am experiencing, and what moves me to eat. I'm pretty good at not eating "just because" -- the times when I find it hardest are late afternoon -- which is also when I get the growling tummy stuff...and late evening, when I see my husband going for the dessert and dammit, I want something. I'm not big on sweets, generally, but a little cheese with a few crackers is pretty appealing. I think I'm going to try having a Laughing Cow lite cheese and apple or pear ready and see how that does...other suggestions welcome!

Deb WS

I cant seem to loose any weight either. Ive lost 24 pounds and most of that was before surgery on the liquid diet. I was told by my surgeon not to exercise. His exact words, "Exercise doesn't constitute weight loss". Well, that's a bunch of crap!!!! I go back for a fill on April 4th, my birthday and I am hoping he gives me a good fill for my birthday gift, one in which I will be full with just a couple of bites. I am praying that I start loosing weight soon since I hear so many people losing a lot of weight even before their first fill.

Ape,

This is stressful!

I would suggest exercise. I have to say that I love my Zumba class, and that might be appealing...or something that is not just treadmill routine, but distracting and fun.

Best wishes with getting your records moved...and please let your husband know that I thank him for the good work that he is doing!

Deb WS

It's great hearing from a lot of you -- I have missed you!

I went to the nutritionist on Tuesday and, interestingly, she suggested something that I saw reflected in the discussions here. She thought that I was not getting enough Protein, and suggested increasing that, rather than adding more veggies or other carbs. I made sure that I had a Chobani yogurt today, crabmeat salad along with raw veggies and homemade Tomato Soup at lunch, and a little cheese with veggies for a snack. So far, it's working. You are a great community and are wise folk!

Deb WS

weight.png

Hey, fellow bandsters! I was banded on Nov. 8. I started out at 255 and I am currently 215 for a total weight loss of 40 lbs so far. I was completely ecstatic that I was able to fit into some XL size clothes...depending on the brand of course! I am putting my 2-3x sized nursing scrubs into a bag to go to consignment!

I have been stuck a few times. I have not thrown up though at all. Sometimes I wish I could have to get rid of the stuck feeling. I've found that pineapple juice works well to get something unstuck. My stuck episodes are helping me to learn what food items I can't tolerate so I stay away from them. I have had 2 fills. The first being 3.5cc and the second being 2cc.

I still deal with head hunger. It's funny because I've never understood why they say to eat a piece of cheese or meat for Breakfast. I eat a slice of cheese for breakfast and it keeps me satisfied until dinner time 4 hours later. Now, if I eat some mini powdered sugar donuts, I am starving 3 hours later. It's all in the Protein content!

I was able to get my cholesterol med taken away! I went through a bunch of clothes today that either are too big or I don't like anymore and you should see all the hangers I have available now!

So far, it's been a great experience! At this point the only exercise I get is when I'm working. I am a nurse in a nursing home, so I do alot of walking. I used a pedometer once and it fell off of me a few times and reset. The longest period of time it was on, calculated out to be about 3 miles. So, I know I walk more than that in a shift. My goal is to start running. I'm not talking marathons...just going for a decent run on my days off of work--just me and my ipod or my smartphone. I live in Minn. so it's just starting to get nice around here. I have so much more energy than I've ever had, which is giving me the incentive to go running! Today it was crappy outside with snow, so I cleaned out my bedroom including old clothes. I need some organization in my life, not piles of crap! It makes ME feel better to have organization of some sort.

It's been great to hear from everyone!

Hey, fellow bandsters! I was banded on Nov. 8. I started out at 255 and I am currently 215 for a total weight loss of 40 lbs so far. I was completely ecstatic that I was able to fit into some XL size clothes...depending on the brand of course! I am putting my 2-3x sized nursing scrubs into a bag to go to consignment!

I have been stuck a few times. I have not thrown up though at all. Sometimes I wish I could have to get rid of the stuck feeling. I've found that pineapple juice works well to get something unstuck. My stuck episodes are helping me to learn what food items I can't tolerate so I stay away from them. I have had 2 fills. The first being 3.5cc and the second being 2cc.

I still deal with head hunger. It's funny because I've never understood why they say to eat a piece of cheese or meat for breakfast. I eat a slice of cheese for breakfast and it keeps me satisfied until dinner time 4 hours later. Now, if I eat some mini powdered sugar donuts, I am starving 3 hours later. It's all in the Protein content!

I was able to get my cholesterol med taken away! I went through a bunch of clothes today that either are too big or I don't like anymore and you should see all the hangers I have available now!

So far, it's been a great experience! At this point the only exercise I get is when I'm working. I am a nurse in a nursing home, so I do alot of walking. I used a pedometer once and it fell off of me a few times and reset. The longest period of time it was on, calculated out to be about 3 miles. So, I know I walk more than that in a shift. My goal is to start running. I'm not talking marathons...just going for a decent run on my days off of work--just me and my ipod or my smartphone. I live in Minn. so it's just starting to get nice around here. I have so much more energy than I've ever had, which is giving me the incentive to go running! Today it was crappy outside with snow, so I cleaned out my bedroom including old clothes. I need some organization in my life, not piles of crap! It makes ME feel better to have organization of some sort.

It's been great to hear from everyone!

Awesome! i'm happy that you are doing very well.

Hello fellow November bandsters. My surgery was Nov 10, 2010. To date I have lost 38 pounds, and I am good with that. I have had 4 fills in my band, and now have 8.5 cc. Unfortunatley I have no restrictions, and am set to go for fill # 5, April 10. I have been exercising 3xs a week for the past 5 months. The first hour is strictly cardio, elliptical, treadmill, and walking. I typically get in 4 miles in the first hour. The second hour is a kettlebell class. I know this workout has gotten me to where I am today. Like most of you, I am happy with the physical changes in my body, and am happy to see size xl.

I have tried to stay positive, and know eventually I should get some restriction in my band, but honestly 5 fills? I could really appreciate my band "kicking in " to help me, as this is where I usually lose interst in my weight loss, and slip back to my old ways.

I enjoy reading this post and am happy so many of you have had success.

Missprin

HI ALL,

Glad to see everyone posting again. I had my surgery November 3rd, 2010. So far I have lost a total of 55 Lbs. I also just had a Port Revision on the 17th of March. My port came unstitched and flipped over. This surgery was not as bad as the first, but still hurt's. Doctor said it was nothing I did, just happens some times, but didn't think it would happen after 4 months. They also took 1 cc out, which doesn't make me very happy since I was finally feeling some resriction at 6.5cc in a 14 cc band. I am hoping she will put the 1 cc back in when I go for my follow up April 5th. Deb I know what you mean about starving, I have that feeling around 3 or 4 pm everyday, and I could eat anything if I don't watch it. That is usually when I break out the string cheese to tie me over till dinner. I do eat 3 times a day, 4 if I throw in a snack, which my doctor doesn't want us doing. But, I do, it my stomach is growling and it isn't meal time. But always something lite. Well it is nice to hear from you all again, keep up updated. =-)

I got my surgery Nov 9 2010. I have lost about 58 lbs. I've only had a fill and a complete unfilI got an infill because unfortunately I developed Gastroparesis---stomach paralysis....from the surgery. I am enjoying the weight loss but not the slow stomach emptying disorder. It's good to see everys progress and non progress. I won't knock the surgery but my only regret for getting the surgery is the stomach disorder I have to endure for the rest of my life. If I had a choice to do it again....I'm torn inbetwern the two!

Everyone is saying that to change doctors now would be very difficult. I don't know what to do. I go back on April 4th for another fill. I am going to beg to get a good fill for once. I have a deductible of $4000 and it costs over $100 every time I go. I am depressed over this and really dont know what to do anymore. I see everyone else getting good fills and loosing so much weight and I am not losing any. I have heard that my surgeon hates to do band surgeries because he is a gastric bypass surgeon and he wants the bandsters to fail. I didn't believe that at first, but since he has told me NOT to exercise and doesn't fill me or he takes it back out and doesn't put any back in, I am believing it more and more that he does want the bandsters to fail. What doctor tells you NOT to exercise? I am so upset and I have NO ONE to help me out. My medical doctor got angry at me when I told her I think the surgeon is not being truthful with me and he won't tell me how much he fills me. He always says when I ask him how much are you filling me with and he says, How much do you want? And then I ask him again and he won't tell me. What kind of doctor does this? I have every right to know how much he is putting in. I am at my wits end and I feel like giving up because it is such a struggle because he acutally is making me fail. The purpose of this surgery is to get fills so one won't be hungry and he won't fill me. I am sick, I am sad, and I am so very depressed over this and have NO idea what to do anymore. I have NO ONE to go to. I have tried and tried to solve this problem and with the doctors fighting me, I have no recourse but to give up.

I cant seem to loose any weight either. Ive lost 24 pounds and most of that was before surgery on the liquid diet. I was told by my surgeon not to exercise. His exact words, "Exercise doesn't constitute weight loss". Well, that's a bunch of crap!!!! I go back for a fill on April 4th, my birthday and I am hoping he gives me a good fill for my birthday gift, one in which I will be full with just a couple of bites. I am praying that I start loosing weight soon since I hear so many people losing a lot of weight even before their first fill.

Everyone is saying that to change doctors now would be very difficult. I don't know what to do. I go back on April 4th for another fill. I am going to beg to get a good fill for once. I have a deductible of $4000 and it costs over $100 every time I go. I am depressed over this and really dont know what to do anymore. I see everyone else getting good fills and loosing so much weight and I am not losing any. I have heard that my surgeon hates to do band surgeries because he is a gastric bypass surgeon and he wants the bandsters to fail. I didn't believe that at first, but since he has told me NOT to exercise and doesn't fill me or he takes it back out and doesn't put any back in, I am believing it more and more that he does want the bandsters to fail. What doctor tells you NOT to exercise? I am so upset and I have NO ONE to help me out. My medical doctor got angry at me when I told her I think the surgeon is not being truthful with me and he won't tell me how much he fills me. He always says when I ask him how much are you filling me with and he says, How much do you want? And then I ask him again and he won't tell me. What kind of doctor does this? I have every right to know how much he is putting in. I am at my wits end and I feel like giving up because it is such a struggle because he acutally is making me fail. The purpose of this surgery is to get fills so one won't be hungry and he won't fill me. I am sick, I am sad, and I am so very depressed over this and have NO idea what to do anymore. I have NO ONE to go to. I have tried and tried to solve this problem and with the doctors fighting me, I have no recourse but to give up.

My sense is that my nutritionist's advice -- eat more Protein -- is helping. I am less hungry, less likely to cave in to 'head hunger,' than I was. I also am more aware of feeling full...and have had a couple more incidents of things getting a little 'stuck.' I try, when this happens, to be calm, wait, sip Water, and just breathe. Generally, that does the trick. But it's always a reminder to me to slow down, savor whatever I have, and THINK before something goes in my mouth! I see my surgeon tomorrow and expect another 1cc fill which will -- I hope -- mark the 'sweet spot' that people keep talking about!

Best to all,

Deb WS

weight.png

Im so happy your doing well. I have had a stuck episode, it aint fun. So its good your doing well. Dee

Awesome! i'm happy that you are doing very well.

I had my first "stuck" episode that led me to make myself puke the other day. It was miserable. I was at work and I must've eaten too fast. It hurt so bad and I couldn't get it to go away. I went to the BR and made myself throw it up. Some came out and I felt better. Went back to work and it was stuck again...so, back to the BR I went to make myself throw up again. It felt better and then it started to hurt again...I thought, "are you freakin' kidding me?" I went to the BR again and tried to throw up, but couldn't. I hopped around on my (L) leg (sounds stupid), but it FINALLY relieved. I was able to get back to work. When I threw up, there was no big pieces, so I must have just eaten too fast. pineapple juice usually helps me feel better when I get stuck. So, now I put a small can of pineapple juice in my purse just in case. That was Awful!!! What a reminder to SLOW down when eating. I also have learned that I can eat SOME breads-even soft bread- as long as I eat it slowly and I for sure don't drink anything for 1/2 hour after. If I drink, it gets stuck.

Greetings fellow November bandsters!

I was banded on November 22nd and am teeter-tottering between 75-77 lbs. lost. My first fill was on January 7th and my second one is scheduled for this Friday. Unfortunately, I'm in desperate need of fill as I can eat almost anything I want to in any amount. Right now, it is back to the early stage will power....ugh!

I've started a hard core exercise program that reminds me of what they do on The Biggest Loser. This is my thrid week with that and I have gained 2 lbs. I'm contributing that to either muscle or my need for a fill! I plan to get back on track Friday.

NSV include: Being able to bend over and tie my shoe; Going down 3 sizes in clothes; Walking without being completely out of breath; Blood pressure meds gone; Saving money at restaraunts by sharing a meal or eating off the kids menu; Positive self esteem!

Would I have Lap Band surgery again? ABSOLUTELY!!!

I am amazed and happy for you. I was banded on Nov. 5th and have only lost 24 pounds. I am so upset and sad that I cant seem to lose much of any weight at all. Plus most of that weight was lost before the surgery on the liquid diet. I am doing everything right and I still cant seem to lose. I am so sad. I am happy for you though. 75 pounds is a lot of weight to lose in a short time. Best wishes to you for continued success.

Greetings fellow November bandsters!

I was banded on November 22nd and am teeter-tottering between 75-77 lbs. lost. My first fill was on January 7th and my second one is scheduled for this Friday. Unfortunately, I'm in desperate need of fill as I can eat almost anything I want to in any amount. Right now, it is back to the early stage will power....ugh!

I've started a hard core exercise program that reminds me of what they do on The Biggest Loser. This is my thrid week with that and I have gained 2 lbs. I'm contributing that to either muscle or my need for a fill! I plan to get back on track Friday.

NSV include: Being able to bend over and tie my shoe; Going down 3 sizes in clothes; Walking without being completely out of breath; Blood pressure meds gone; Saving money at restaraunts by sharing a meal or eating off the kids menu; Positive self esteem!

Would I have Lap Band surgery again? ABSOLUTELY!!!