Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STARVING at night only!WTH!

So i am now 19 days post op. in my mushies stage. I am not currently working so I am home all day. When I wake up I can not eat, dont even want to at all. so I drink a protien shake. then I am hungry at about 1 or 2 so i will eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of whatever mush protien. then i will eat again around 6 or 7. then around 9pm my stomach growls and feels so empty I am starving! I feel hungry, its not just head hunger, its a little soon to eat again but really i am hungry!!! So every night nw i have been eating cream of wheat with sf Syrup to sweeten it, made with milk and i also add beneprotien to up the protien content. it helps but i am still hungry after that. I try waiting an hour and then drinking fluids to help, which it doesnt really. I am also not losing any weight despite not going over 900 calories. I am getting the right amount pf protien and working on the fluids right now im at like 60.

Am i doing something wrong, am i hurting myself by eating at night? if i dont eat i cant sleep because i am hungry. I am not losing at all, and i am exercising 3-4 times a week since i was released to do ....ack! HeLP!

VERY very common to be tight in the morning with little appetite and to loosen as the day goes on.

I lost only like maybe 2lbs during the mushy stage. Significant weight loss for me didn't start until I was on solid foods. Also very common because mushy foods are often high calorie and not very filling.

This is the time for healing, not for weight loss. If some happens, great, but it shouldn't be your main focus right now.

Something you could try.. don't know if it will work, but shouldn't hurt.. is to drink something warm (coffee, tea) when you first wake up (this is when I take my Vitamins.. with my coffee). Warm drinks tend to loosen your band a bit and then you might be able to "eat" instead of just drinking your Breakfast. This MIGHT put you on a more even keel..where you are fueling your body at a more even pace and it won't be screaming for substance by night time.

I don't know your weight/height.. but 900 might be too low for you. If your body isn't getting enough, it can slow your metabolism way down. This is something you'll need to play around with to learn what works best for you.

During the healing phase, I would wake up at night with awful stomach pains. I finally figured out that I was hungry! I took to taking a container of yogurt to bed with me.. when I woke up hurting, I'd eat a spoonful or two of yogurt, just enough to ease the hunger and go back to sleep. Would do this off and on all night. It's not recommended eating behavior in general, but during healing it's ok to bend the rules a bit.

Hang in there, it gets better. :)

I agree..try uping ur calories. I played with mine..I found I too wasn't losing at 950 calories a day..now I have about 1200 and its been falling off..what a difference. And for night eating..go for healthy choices and something that's going to satisfy you and fill you up. I sometimes have a few grean Beans or half a Protein shake..I have the shake closer to bed time if I'm hungry bc I'm not comfortable with food sitting in my pouch all nite..I've woken up choking and spitting up in the middle of the nite and that scared me straight lol. Good luck