Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling kind of down when I know I shouldn't be...

I am 2 days post op and I'm starting to feel depressed as the realization of this long road is finally setting in. I haven't been hungry so I guess that's a good thing. Just when I thought "if I get rid of the gas pains I will be smooth sailing" I go and had a sugar free popsicle and the burning gas sensation after it was almost unbearable. I can't even eat what I am supposed to eat, this is depressing. I know it doesn't last forever and eventually i'll be back to normal, but man 4-6 weeks now sounds like such a long ways away.

hang in there. I felt better by the 4th day.. I am only 7 days out but I feel much better.

Hang in there. It took me a good two weeks before I started feeling better. I couldn't even keep anything down until 6 days post-op, so just be patient.

Give yourself a good week or two to physically and mentally feel back to normal. I know that's probably what you didn't want to hear, but you have to let your body heal up and your mind needs to be allowed to get back to a place where you aren't focused 100% on the band and all that goes with it. I'm 4 weeks post op, just had my first fill yesterday and I'm feeling fine. It took me until I could eat again to get back into that normal mode.

Melissa

This probly wont help Buttt I promise it gets better. Keep up with your pain Meds and rest / walk a little and rest. Please just let yourself heal for the next few weeks. Dont worry about any thing but healing. When you are feeling better you can start working on your weight, Now just take care of yourself and let your body heal. Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon.

I am 2 days post op and I'm starting to feel depressed as the realization of this long road is finally setting in. I haven't been hungry so I guess that's a good thing. Just when I thought "if I get rid of the gas pains I will be smooth sailing" I go and had a sugar free popsicle and the burning gas sensation after it was almost unbearable. I can't even eat what I am supposed to eat, this is depressing. I know it doesn't last forever and eventually i'll be back to normal, but man 4-6 weeks now sounds like such a long ways away.

Awww, hang in there. Try to walk more that may help you. I tried just little sips of broth at a time (cold stuff kinda bothered me) and started to feel better towards day 5-6.

I told the hubby when I reached goal, we were goin to Puerto Rico to renew our wedding vows and thoughts of the skinny me on the beach in that cute little sundress got me through a lot of the post-op pain :laugh:

I hope you're feeling better soon!!!!

I felt a little depressed a day or two after. I felt like how did I get so bad that I actually needed surgery to fix me. That past quickly. I didn't loss much weight the first few weeks, FYI, so don't let that get you down. As far as the gas, I had my surgery May 28 and I still have large amounts of gas daily, it been quit a struggle.

Depression is common. It comes with not being able to medicate yourself with food.

Your brain eventually gets used to it and you find other ways to cope.

Sometimes you don't even realise you're an emotional eater until it's all taken away from you - food can make you happy, so when you depend on it to do that for long enough, it become a part of your life.

Good thing is though, it gets better. Just keep staying positive. :sneaky:

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. Today remarkably I feel a lot better. Can't believe 1 day could make such a difference. Had another popsicle last night and got bad heartburn so I am done with those, but the spasm pain in my chest/sternum is getting better. So as you all said one day at a time and eventually life will be normal again. Thanks again guys!

I experienced stomach spasms day 3,4,5 post op. My surgeon had me take only small amounts of room temp to warm fluids such as peppermint tea, and Water for 24 hours. It actually took 48 hours, but the stomach calmed down and now my stomach, the band and I are ever so much more happier.:thumbup:

Oh man...I had chest pain until the 2nd week or more. They put me in a CT scanner and did a bunch of tests - it was apparently just me healing from the surgery.

:thumbup:

I just had my surgery on Monday, Oct.25 - and I must admit, I'm only 3 days in, and it's hard. I mean, the whole pre-op was hard, and now dealing with the pain is even worse. I understand the depression...I feel it coming on, and I understand the feeling of "how did I let it get this bad?" but you have to remember - we have all made a very important choice, and it's going to take work to get to where we need to be. The spasms I have are killer - and even though every nurse in the hospital said it was gas and it would pass, my doctor assured me that is was the stretching of my sternum that is the painful culprit.

Clear liquids, broth, teas, juices, popcicles and Jello (s/f of course) have been my diet, but I'm in so much pain, even with my meds, that I don't have much to begin with. I know it will get better...I look forward to being able to walk, and not all hunched over :0)