Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 years in and not quite getting it still...

Hello All,

I was banded in July 2007. The weight started coming off slowly but has slowed down significantly. I have lost now only a total of 30lbs. I have even gained some weight back. I am feeling a little down right now because of this. I feel as though I have failed. My surgeon is Dr. Alan Geiss in Syosset, NY. I look forward to hearing from you guys and learning from your stories and suggestions.

Have you ever gotten any fills? Do you feel restriction? I would guess that you need to pay your surgeon a visit and have a chat to see what is going on.

Keep reading this forum for ideas and good luck to you,

Can I ask how much weight in total you have to lose? Sometimes, if you started out with a very small amount to lose (like 50 pounds or something) it comes off a little slower.

That said, how many calories a day are you eating and are you tracking your food? Also, do you exercise? I find that even when I'm not exercising but I'm still tracking my calories (which I keep between 800-900 a day) I lose weight, albeit slowly. When I'm not exercising I probably burn around 2000-2100 a day so that would give me around 1100 calorie deficit. However when I stop tracking calories it is VERY easy for me to put things in my mouth and just ignore or 'forget' about what I ate. That's when the ice creams and sweets start uncontrollably pushing themselves back into my regular diet. I am a big proponent of tracking food. If your calories in are fewer than your calories out, you will lose weight.

If you aren't exercising, start today! It will greatly speed up your weightloss. This forum is a great resource, so just stick around :laugh:

Fedz,

We need to talk ASAP!! You and I almost have the same exact story!! Dr. Geiss banded me in July 2007 and I have lost 56 lbs. He implanted the 4cc band at that time. That 56 lb weight loss came with exercise, weight watchers, weight gain and loss, etc. I'm not going to give up so I decided to have a revision done in November because my band is maxxed out to 4cc. I got fill after the fill with some restriction but I never got that "sweet spot" feeling that many banders talk about. There's no room for anymore fills with my current band. We REALLY need to talk. I want to give you my phone number.

Fedz,

We need to talk ASAP!! You and I almost have the same exact story!! Dr. Geiss banded me in July 2007 and I have lost 56 lbs. He implanted the 4cc band at that time. That 56 lb weight loss came with exercise, weight watchers, weight gain and loss, etc. I'm not going to give up so I decided to have a revision done in November because my band is maxxed out to 4cc. I got fill after the fill with some restriction but I never got that "sweet spot" feeling that many banders talk about. There's no room for anymore fills with my current band. We REALLY need to talk. I want to give you my phone number.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you revising to and does your insurance company cover it? If they don't, what do you think the cost will be?

Have you ever gotten any fills? Do you feel restriction? I would guess that you need to pay your surgeon a visit and have a chat to see what is going on.

Keep reading this forum for ideas and good luck to you,

Yes I have gotten 5 or 6 fills but I only have about 3cc in a 10cc band. In order to get a fill I feel like I have to beg and pleed. I feel if I'm not losing I should get a fill. But when I told the PA in the office that I really don't feel restriction because I can eat 3 solid pieces of chicken (2thighs and 1 drumstick) and still not feel full and be hungry 2 hours later, she told my I need psych help. So I didn't go to the office for over 1 year. I am scheduled to see them in December. What makes it worst is now I am out of the country for school and its making things even harder.

Can I ask how much weight in total you have to lose? Sometimes, if you started out with a very small amount to lose (like 50 pounds or something) it comes off a little slower.

That said, how many calories a day are you eating and are you tracking your food? Also, do you exercise? I find that even when I'm not exercising but I'm still tracking my calories (which I keep between 800-900 a day) I lose weight, albeit slowly. When I'm not exercising I probably burn around 2000-2100 a day so that would give me around 1100 calorie deficit. However when I stop tracking calories it is VERY easy for me to put things in my mouth and just ignore or 'forget' about what I ate. That's when the ice creams and sweets start uncontrollably pushing themselves back into my regular diet. I am a big proponent of tracking food. If your calories in are fewer than your calories out, you will lose weight.

If you aren't exercising, start today! It will greatly speed up your weightloss. This forum is a great resource, so just stick around :laugh:

I was working out at my local gym, taking a few classes a week and doing cardio on my own as well. I even signed up with a Personal Trainer. I feel when I put all my effort into it, I still don't lose weight but if i don't focus on it as much, I will shed a few pounds. I just really don't know how to get on steady losing streak.

Yes I have gotten 5 or 6 fills but I only have about 3cc in a 10cc band. In order to get a fill I feel like I have to beg and pleed. I feel if I'm not losing I should get a fill. But when I told the PA in the office that I really don't feel restriction because I can eat 3 solid pieces of chicken (2thighs and 1 drumstick) and still not feel full and be hungry 2 hours later, she told my I need psych help. So I didn't go to the office for over 1 year. I am scheduled to see them in December. What makes it worst is now I am out of the country for school and its making things even harder.

3cc's in a 10 is a drop in the bucket. If your story is as you describe, I highly suggest finding somewhere else to get your fills. It might take a few adjustments though, most will only do 1-3 cc's at a time, every 4-6 weeks. The band is an amazing tool, sorry you haven't been able to use it yet.

3cc's in a 10 is a drop in the bucket. If your story is as you describe, I highly suggest finding somewhere else to get your fills. It might take a few adjustments though, most will only do 1-3 cc's at a time, every 4-6 weeks. The band is an amazing tool, sorry you haven't been able to use it yet.

Thank you, now I don't feel like I am crazy. I looked at someone elses fill pattern who has the same surgeon and realized they really don't fill. I get .5cc each time I go and realize they got the same. I definitely am gonna have a serious talk to them or I may just switch doctors.

I had to beg and plead for more fills with my previous doctor also and they made me feel crazy because I was paying them money! How can i beg for something that's not free? I switched doctors and now I am doing great!

I had to beg and plead for more fills with my previous doctor also and they made me feel crazy because I was paying them money! How can i beg for something that's not free? I switched doctors and now I am doing great!

My only disappointment now is that I didn't join this forum sooner. I have been reading on some of these topics and realized I am not alone. The feelings of being tighter in the mornings and being able to eat whatever I want were driving me crazy. I see now a lot of people have that issue. Knowing I had a 10cc band that only has 3cc in it never made sense to me and now I see why my weight loss has been so stagnant. I feel so empowered now and will probably be looking for another office now. I love my surgeon but PA staff he has now is just not cutting it for me. I should have been at my goal weight last year. And the fact that I know so many of his patients on a personal level and they are struggling as well...something isn't right. We all can't be lazy and crazy. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

We all can't be lazy and crazy. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

You are your best advocate.

Dr. Geiss' staff are nice but VERY conservative when it comes to giving fills. The best ones to to go are Mariam and the youngish PA with long brown hair and glasses. They actually listen to you. I had to be firm with the the others and tell them I knew how my body felt and that 4cc was not enough for me. I finally had to set an appointment with Dr. Geiss himself in order to get clarity on my situation. I'm getting my old 4cc band removed and having it replaced with a 10cc band to get more restriction.

3cc in a 10cc band will give a little restriction the 1st few months after surgery but you have to step it up in order to continue the weight loss. My friends told me that they felt good restriction around 7cc into the fills.

Sorry i didn't answer your question. I started out needing to lose about 147 lbs in total and now I still have about 110-115 to lose

I love the staff and Dr. Geiss as well. I actually met him 2 years before my surgery when I needed my gallbladder taken out and decided to pick him as my lapband surgeon because he was so professional and honest. The ladies at the front desk, OMG words can't describe. They really take the time to get to know you and they are so nice. Yea the younger PA was nice and she was the one that gave me my last fill. I don't know the one with glasses. But I don't feel like I need to beg for something I am paying for and need. I'm going to talk to them and see what happens but I have to wait until December. If not I am looking into seeing the Dr at NYU.