Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

antidepressants/psych meds?

Do you take psych meds?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take psych meds?

• Yes, I take an antidepressant.
    • Yes, I take other psych meds.
    • No, I don't take meds now but I used to.
    • I never took psych meds.

I recently switched to Cymbalta after being on Prozac for years. The pill is pretty big; I swallow it only after swirling it around in my mouth to soften the enteric coating. So far, so good -- it's helping with my nerve pain, and my mood seems fine.

I have been on quite a number of meds at different times but quit taking them all a few years ago.

I am diagnosed with severe depression, generalized anxiety, panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder all of which I still suffer from to one degree or another.

I couldn't stand the way the meds made me feel and I hated the side effects.

I have learned over the years that a panic attack will pass, anxiety will pass and a bout of depression will eventually pass. The meds made me feel lousy all of the time.

Serena

My mother has switched through just about all the meds already listed, and still had issues with severe depression. This summer her doc put her on the newer one Cymbalta. She crashed severely for a week or so. We were worried about how low she fell, but then she leveled off and now feels better than she has in years. She's also experiencing a pretty steady slow weight loss, after so many of the others caused about a 50 pound weight gain. I think this one is finally working. If you aren't getting results... keep trying. It's wonderful to see a person come back to life.

Hi - I'm a lurker more than a poster, but thought I'd comment!

I started taking Wellbutrin XL a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the emotional things the surgery will dig up. I'm scheduled for January 24. It seems the Wellbutrin is really tearing up my digestive system, so it's been a battle to get settled down. I do think that it helps control my emotions overall (I've been on it once before).

My DH takes effexor, I call it his happy pill, he's not depressed, just difficult to get along with when he doesn't take it, and I'm putting it nicely. I think he needs a stronger dose, but he's fine as long as he plays golf 8 days a week.

Good luck on the surgery Amy in VA.

I have taken 10mg of Prozac for almost six years. It was seasonal at first, but as my weight got higher I started to need it year round. I take it for anxiety. The anxiety was post-partum and seasonal for years. I am hoping to get off the med completely or at least get back to seasonal use.

wouldn't it be nice if we could just take a chocolate pill and be rid of all these antidepressants?? wish godiva would come up with one!!;-)

Does anyone that takes Paxil know if it levels off? I do feel the lack of highs but it has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased my anxiety and I do feel a lack of food desire which is AWESOME. Any one know if the highs will come back?

I take Xanax for anxiety/Panic disorder, but really need an anti-depressant too. My body can't seem to tolerate them so I've been on a search for over 2 years now and remain unmedicated.

SSRI's I can't take at all. I took the lowest dose of Zoloft and on the 3rd day, the walls began to move in and out. It was horrible.

I take Efexor. Only 75mg. After a year of deep depression Im finally starting to feel normal again. I even had one entire day of feeling "happy". The drug doesnt make me feel numb or too excited. Just.. normal which is perfect.

Does anyone that takes Paxil know if it levels off? I do feel the lack of highs but it has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased my anxiety and I do feel a lack of food desire which is AWESOME. Any one know if the highs will come back?

My Dad took Paxil and it helped him alot. He needed it! He had big time panic attacks. He described it like this..."you know the feeling you get right when you remember that you forgot something and it takes your breath away? Do that a 100 times a day, all day, and at bedtime" Wow.

However, after a few years, he really should have weaned off. It made him so laid back, so not worried, so unconcerned that he is still dealing with the consequences of a failing business and the overwhelmed feeling of NOT having things done. Taxes anyone? He just wasn't worried enough! He recognizes the signs now, and he's also taking testosterone shots and it's helping with motivation. He's been off the Paxil for a few years now and it's better. Sometimes I worry he may need a low dose again. sigh. Depression sucks.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what you mean by the "Highs"...does the Paxil give you a big lift of energy and clear-headedness?

I went to the Wyeth Labs website to read up on taking Effexor XR (time release capsules). In their FAQ it states:

"The capsule can also be carefully opened and its contents sprinkled onto a spoonful of applesauce. This should be swallowed immediately and followed by drinking a glass of Water. Do not chew this mixture before swallowing."

This is good as these are really big capsules. I'm very relieved I can continue to take it after my fills.

Update on me:

The Lexapro quit working, which I know is a common occurance. I got weaned off it while starting up Zoloft. I am now at 100mg of Zoloft and feeling pretty good. From what I understand Zoloft is a better long term drug than Lexapro.

My medical doctor said that she no longer prescribes Lexapro because it does seem to lose effectiveness after a person has been taking it a while and they always had to up the dose. She likes Zoloft a lot better than Lexapro for her patients.

I take Paxil, I must have missed the dose which had the "high" in it. It sure has alleviated all of my anxiety issues. I'm grateful for that. I just began taking Wellbutrin with the Paxil and it gives more energy. Then....I went into a very scary place.........my brain! It got to thinking, well, with taking wellbutrin (which does decrease my appetite) and going in tuesday for my little CPAP machine I'll feel much better, gee, maybe I'll just being to lose weight and not even have to have the surgery. LOL

Errr....does anyone else think like this??

Kelli B)

I do not currently, or ever have, taken any kind of anti depressent or psych medications. I've often wondered if I need to .. but that would take a visit to the doctor lol, and mean I'd have to talk to someone about it.

I have alot of anxiety and self-esteem issues to deal with, as well as bouts of depression. It runs in the family. I just started seeing a therapist last week, for the first time in my life. I'm also getting back into meditation. I'm hoping that these two things together, can help me resolve some of my issues without the need for medication.

That said, I am also seeing my GP this week to determine if hormonal/chemical changes due to weight loss could be the cause of some of my recent issues.