Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conceiving Multiples

I'm 30 and I don't plan on getting pregnant until after I graduate from my undergrad and mba program, which will be around age 34. I want multiple children, but I don't see how I'm going to be able to conceive healthfully between 34-40, unless I get pregnant every year, which I don't want. Question is, have any of you conceived multiples, and if you did, did you use any fertility meds for it?

Yes, I am 40 and I concieved twins this preganncy but lost one at 7 weeks along. I also have PCOS so yes I used Gonal-F to help me concieve it prolly did play a part in having twins as it helps make more eggs I need due to my age. Your still young but without knowing if you have any issues you just never know. Good luck!

I am a mother to twins. Twice over actually. Only one set made it. Lost the first set at 8 weeks but carried the girls to 30 weeks. In between the 2 pregnancies we had a son (that we used clomid for) that was stillborn. I wasn't banded when we were pregnant- I'm set to b banded the 13th so I can not say what type of influence that would have on pregnancy. We also used clomid to conceive the girls. The first set was natural but implanted in my tube. Honestly people that say they wish they could have twins bother me.... Just hope for one healthy child and if u get blessed with more than roll with it. Do not try to purposefully become pregnant with multiples. It is way more high risk and is harder on the body. From a mother who has held an angel and buried her child just count the blessings that u receive. Not trying to crush any dreams here just want you to realize the full picture that yes it can be accomplished at an older age with no problems but maybe u should just step back and hope for one healthy child before tricking nature and putting more stress on your body. Hope everything works out for u and your dreams of a large family.

I was just curious. Multiples run in my family very heavily. I would definitely be happy with one healthy baby. I just love children and would like a large family of my own.

I conceived twins on 200mg of clomid, 2000mg of met, and IUI. I have PCOS and a severe male factor. Sadly we lost one of our twins at 19 weeks due to a bleeding problem that I had earlier in my pregnancy.

I'm 30 and I don't plan on getting pregnant until after I graduate from my undergrad and mba program, which will be around age 34. I want multiple children, but I don't see how I'm going to be able to conceive healthfully between 34-40, unless I get pregnant every year, which I don't want. Question is, have any of you conceived multiples, and if you did, did you use any fertility meds for it?

hi, I am a mom of triplets +1. Actually my older child was a twin, but we lost one very early on....my triplets were 28 week preemies. I cannot tell you how many times we should have lost them. even after being sent home, I resuscitated my oldest twice in 1 day @ 13 weeks. My youngest has a mild case of cerebral palsy as well....

although I wouldnt trade my life for the world (ok, I'd like a better growing money tree) I caution everyone who mentions wanting multiples, that this is no joke. yes, its really cute and all, but you have NO IDEA how dangerous it is to carry, and how common loss, and disabilities are with multiples. Not to mention the reality of raising multiples. This aint jon and kate. there are no nannies, or cleaning folks or anyone but the hubby and I.

Yes we did fertility treatments....lots of them....actually it was called ICSI IVF, which is a very specialized form of ivf....we did it for 6 yrs till we got my oldest....then the triplets came when she was almost 2. chaos is not even the word....

hang in there....!!

I conceived twins without assistance at age 29, I too caution the "wanting multiples". I had two older children that were 12 and 14 at the time. I had a rough pregnancy gained a lot of weight and had pre-eclampsia and they were delivered early at 35 wks. They were healthy and fine but have had many medical issues since. One of my twin boys has leukemia and the other has had some stomach issues and has chronic Constipation and is on regular medicines for that.

With my first two they rarely went to the doctor other than routine checkups and I have been to the doctor more in the last 5 years than I have ever been in my life. I have a cabinet full of medicines for all 3 of us now. Before you would be lucky to find tylenol in my home. I am extremely fortunate that I have these wonderful boys and that we are all still here. I absolutely love my kids and have no regrets but life with multiples is a challenge mentally and physically.

I am not the mother of multiples HOWEVER, I am a NICU-RN. I have seen more multiples than I could count in my 14 years of practice. Rarely do the children of a multiple pregnancy fare well if delivered pior to 36-weeks. And believe me 36 week-plus multiples are rare. Twins do better than 3 or 4 or more. Girls do better than boys, typically. African American children do better than Caucasian ones. It is a true gamble. If you aren't ready to make a commitment to a child or children that may be sick for a lifetime. My hats off to the parents with such beautiful hearts. It is a hard road for all involved. I love children and love my career choice and will retire someday rocking a baby in a Hospital Nursery somewhere. Any questions, feel free to contact me. :)

I am a mommy of b/g twins who are now 2. My pregnancy was normal and I went to 38 weeks and had relatively no issues... BleedIng at 12 weeks which was scary... But even with all that I agree with everyone... Twins is a dangerous thing I was just one of the lucky ones... My girlfriend lost her daughter when her Water broke at 26 weeks and her son is fighting to survive... So one at a time is fine... Just take care of yourself an all will be fine.

I agree with everyone else. Multiples can be prone to having issues, especially with prematurity, and I wouldn't consider fertility meds in the hopes of having multiples. If it happens, it happens and is a blessing.

I have never had a multiple pregnancy and have been blessed with healthy, successful pregnancies with my son and daughter.

My sister who is eight years younger than me (diabetic and morbidly obese) has gone through 3 pregnancies in the last 5 years.

--> The first pregnancy was a set of twins and she was over the moon. Then she lost them both at the end of the first trimester/beginning of the second. This was far enough along where she really didn't expect to lose them and had already told anyone and everyone about her pregnancy and had plans galore. She was devastated, and it was a public devastation since everyone knew and would try to be helpful and offer sympathy but not everyone knows how to say the right thing.

--> The second set was also twins. She carried them both but they were about 6 weeks premature and they are now 3.5 years old. One was normal but she was only a little premature. The other had significant issues. She had a heart defect requiring multiple surgeries, spina bifida and was missing her calf (foot connected just below the knee). She just had her foot amputated last month and will be soon fitted with a prosthetic so she can start walking. She was also not able to be fed via bottle and had to be fed via a port leading directly to her stomach for her first year. She can now eat normally and is a happy and well-loved child.

--> The third set was also twins. She lost one in the first trimester. The other was born at 33 weeks weighing only 1 pound and 8 ounces and suffering from intrauterine growth restriction. His development was very delayed when it came to sitting, walking, etc. He just turned two and is happy and healthy now for the most part but did suffer many of the common issues inherent with prematurity and spent many weeks at the hospital after birth before he could be released home.

I didn't think it would be possible to have twins three times in a row, but now I know it can happen. Her experiences with pregnancy, childbirth, and raising small children have been exceedingly difficult and heart wrenching even though she does have three small children that she loves dearly.

At this point, I don't want children anymore. I won't be alive to raise them.

I don't understand what you mean by this. However, I hope everything is OK with you.

I hope everything is okay with you as well...