Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you go to Lap Band support group meetings?

I dont go its too late a night and there is no way i am leaving out of my house at that time. I do wish i had friends though cause my hubby will be going to iraq next year and ill be all alone :biggrin:

I really want to attend a meeting but there are none in my area :biggrin:

Chula Vista isn't that far (in Texas terms anyhow..lol) from San Diego. I found at least three in S.D.

Support Groups - Scripps Health - San Diego

Could you go to one of those?

Or could you start your own?

Or you could join an online support group or two or three. Check yahoo groups for lapband support. That's how I found the 3 I like. DFWbandsters, Smartbandsters, Smarterbandsters.

And there's the forums at ObesityHelp.com too.

Hope this helps.

I thought you needed to be close a BMI of 40 or more to be considered for weight loss surgery?? I know my insurance required a BMI of 40 or more for them to cover it.... So maybe that is where I got that number from.

I think it's 40 or 35 with co-morbidities (sleep apnea, diabetes, hypertension, etc.) for insurance to cover as a general rule.

If she was self-pay, or had a very liberal & generous insurance policy, the BMI could be lower.

I could be WAY wrong, but this is what I think I remember from reading other places.

I've gone to two so far!!! its a good time!

In the anonymity of this board, I am very open and relaxed and can discuss any subject. But in a room full of people I would feel so self conscious. I am still pre-op but my Dr wants me to go to at least 2 support groups pre-banding. I've been putting it off but if I want to get banded in December I have to go this month and next. :biggrin:

I thought that too but it was GREAT! They talked about their weight and clothing sizes openly and honestly. No one cared if you said you were 400 pounds or 200 pounds. They are all there for the same reason.

At my meetings they also do a clothing exchange while your there. Basically all the Lap Band patients bring in there old clothes that don't fit anymore and if you see anything you want it's yours. Just return it when it's too big.

I'm very nervous around new people. Especially a big group like that but I was totally comfortable within 15 minutes.

I thought that too but it was GREAT! They talked about their weight and clothing sizes openly and honestly. No one cared if you said you were 400 pounds or 200 pounds. They are all there for the same reason.

At my meetings they also do a clothing exchange while your there. Basically all the LAP-BAND® patients bring in there old clothes that don't fit anymore and if you see anything you want it's yours. Just return it when it's too big.

I'm very nervous around new people. Especially a big group like that but I was totally comfortable within 15 minutes.

I am a big guy but I've never felt not normal. So I have this weird feeling about going to the support groups because I don't want "everyone else" to see me going to the "fat people meeting". I know that sounds terrible, but its all in my head. It's a weird denial of my obesity. I know I know. I sound crazy don't I?:biggrin:

I went to a couple, hoping I'd feel differently (went to WW years ago), but I didn't. I find more support here and I'm not one of those who finds value in being accountable to others.

I go every month and though I'm not a big "group" person, I like connecting w/ people that have gone through what I have. Our group is a mix of people that have had different weight loss surgeries but we're all really respectful of each others choices. It's also adds a bit of accountability each month. So it also helps me keep on track.

Best,

Lauren

I haven't made it to my surgeon's support group, though I have gone to postop classes that reinforce the nutrition and exercise info every 3 months after surgery.

I am 8 months out, have restriction, and couldn't fit 8 tablespoons of food in me if my life depended on it!

I have gone to my surgeon's support group every month since I've been banded. My primary reason for going though is because my surgeon heads it up so it's a great opportunity to ask questions from him and others who have been through it. It's not as much about accountability for me as it is learning what others have gone through and meeting new people. Also, it's all banded people there, other surgeries have their own support groups.

As far as 8 tablespoons, I've always eaten 4 oz post-op. I weigh my food each time and I was told to never eat more than those 4 oz. Try squeezing a balanced meal into those 4 oz! LOL

Chula Vista isn't that far (in Texas terms anyhow..lol) from San Diego. I found at least three in S.D.

Support Groups - Scripps Health - San Diego

Could you go to one of those?

Or could you start your own?

Or you could join an online support group or two or three. Check yahoo groups for LAP-BAND® support. That's how I found the 3 I like. DFWbandsters, Smartbandsters, Smarterbandsters.

And there's the forums at ObesityHelp.com too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info the one at scripps only takes patients they banded...I'll check out the online groups.

Just came from a support meeting. I enjoyed hearing from others, discussing what is working for you, etc. There were a couple of people considering surgery and few who were years out and maintaining. It's a tool.

SJ (Ithink that is right), "everyone" at those meetings is either fat or was...

I have been. But the group I ma in is a mixture of bypass, sleeve, and band. I have only been to two meetings, they are once a month. I would like to go once a week.

I am a little discouraged because I have tried to bring up my struggles and most of the people state they do not have food issues, it was because of a thyroid problem. I do not feel I am matched properly and I do not doubt that thyrod has an impact to weight but to get to 250 to 400lbs?? I do not know. I have issues with food and recently had an ultrasound of my thyroid and more blood work. Can I stop blamimg food? Discouraged.

Wow I wish I had support groups as great as you guys. The support groups that my surgeons office offers are great except for the fact that 99% of people that go are bypass-ers. There was only 1 bandster there.

I'll have to do some searching online. :)

I go...its monthly & unfortunatlely mixes all the procedures into a single meeting so there is a fair amount of time that has nothing at all to do with whatever might be a bandster issue [how many grams of protien does a GBer need? how long until a sleeve gets you back to work? etc] While not ideal, its better than nothing and I'm convinced that sticking with it is part of sticking with the program. Seeing how I have 0 contact with my surgeon, its my only real connection to the program.