Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Work out support thread, September Sweetie and Stud.

Ok so some of my friends on the banded in Sept thread wanted to help support each other in exercising. :thumbup: Of course others are welcome if you want to join a support thread for exercising!

I think some of the idea is to be able to state goals (no matter how small) and have encouragement when achieving those goals. Of course other talk about excercise woes and ideas are welcome.

I'll start, I was banded on Sept 27 2010. I'm from Ohio. Before band I was walking about 5 miles per week at a rate of 3 miles/hour. and going to yoga once a week.

I have a short term goal of walking 7 miles per week by Thanksgiving. Maybe upping the speed a bit but I'll work on that later. Also I'd like to do 20 minutes of yoga/ stretching 3 more times a week by Thanksgiving.

This morning I walked a slow .6 miles- still moving slow after surgery.:thumbup:

Thanks for starting the thread, Lisa.

I'll admit, before surgery I didn't have an exercise program. I did buy a treadmill and start walking a couple weeks before surgery, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

This week, the first week I've been active since I was banded 9-17, I have walked 3 of 5 days. Two of those days were outside and I'm not sure of the mileage, and one was on my treadmill where I was at 3.2 miles an hour (walked 1.5 miles).

My goal is to exercise 5 of 7 days, for 30 minutes at a time. I know I'm slower now than I want to be, but if I can just make myself DO something, I will build up speed and stamina.

So, I guess at this point my exercise goal is to walk today and tomorrow, so I can make my "5 out of 7" weekly goal.

Hi LisaA and StateofZen.

I had LAP-BAND®® surgery on 9/17/10. Although I used to walk about 2 1/2 miles 5 times per week, I had foot surgery 3 months before my LAP-BAND®® surgery so I am not up to all that walking yet. I just joined a gym and I'm trying to use it at least 5 times a week. I did 12 minutes on the elliptical machine yesterday and found that exhausting. I also worked out on the machines that target specific muscles. I'm hoping by targeting these muscles, I won't have loose skin in my problem areas (my arms) I'm trying to work up my stamina. It's hard when you don't have stamina in your feet yet since most exercises depend on using your feet.

Thanks LisaA for starting this thread. I need a push to continue my exercising, especially since I have issues that make it harder for me. Maxi

Hello Lisa and Lyla,

Lisa thanks for starting this thread I think this well be helpful

to us all.

I was banded on 10/23/10, in Philadelphia. My exercise was

walking 45mins a day before my surgery. I have a Treadmill

and Stationary Bike. My first day home after surgery I walked

5mins on the treadmill, now I'm walking 30min, not sure how

many miles at this time, but I will find out. Yesterday I did

15mins on the bike and boy did it pull my stomach muscles,

I will not be trying that again until after my Dr appointment.

My goal is each day walk on the treadmill 45mins a day and

10mins on the bike, by December 1, 2010.

Ok so some of my friends on the banded in Sept thread wanted to help support each other in exercising. :thumbup: Of course others are welcome if you want to join a support thread for exercising!

I think some of the idea is to be able to state goals (no matter how small) and have encouragement when achieving those goals. Of course other talk about excercise woes and ideas are welcome.

I'll start, I was banded on Sept 27 2010. I'm from Ohio. Before band I was walking about 5 miles per week at a rate of 3 miles/hour. and going to yoga once a week.

I have a short term goal of walking 7 miles per week by Thanksgiving. Maybe upping the speed a bit but I'll work on that later. Also I'd like to do 20 minutes of yoga/ stretching 3 more times a week by Thanksgiving.

This morning I walked a slow .6 miles- still moving slow after surgery.:thumbup:

I found you guys!! Wow you all are an inspiration. I have been on nights since Jan so have not really exercised much at all this year. I was so exhausted, and after many tests, found out I have thyroid disease and have been on meds since Jun and my energy level is improving. I bought a treadmill to have it ready when I had the surgery. I am up to 14 minutes a day, slow speed, but it's a start. All of your recovery must be shortened because you were exercising prior to surgery. Maybe in a few months I will have enough energy to take yoga or work with a personal trainer too. The hard part is exercising before I go to work, as I don't get home till midnight. And today is my day off, so I will promise you guys I will work out today, no matter what!!

Hi September folks!

I was banded on 9/3 and am just biding my time until my first fill on Oct 20, which still feels like FOREVER away! lol

Of course I have zero restriction right now and have been battling hunger. It would be a million times worse if I weren't exercising, I'm sure.

I've returned to walking 3 to 4 miles most days of the week and have gotten back to Curves. Yesterday, I got started with the Curves Smart workout, which is a computerized and customized workout that pushes you to work as hard as possible. I have to say I thought I was working out before, but WOW. Curves Smart kicked my butt yesterday and I loved it! I am confident that it will help with strength, shape, and toning.

For those that are just starting to take baby steps with exercise, keep at it! You will amaze yourself with what you can do. Try a little bit more each time. And no matter what activity you're doing, please make sure you're wearing good shoes! You don't want to complicate things with an injury or pain.

You can do this! We all can! Imagine how great it feels to be DONE with a workout - and then go make it happen!

All the best!

gracerev

this is great, I love reading all the goals and thinking about how awesome we all are. Moving your body for at least 30 mins is great, I hope someday soon to be really pushing my limits. You all can totally do your goal Im excited to see it unfold.

lisa

:thumbup:

I found you guys!! Wow you all are an inspiration. I have been on nights since Jan so have not really exercised much at all this year. I was so exhausted, and after many tests, found out I have thyroid disease and have been on meds since Jun and my energy level is improving. I bought a treadmill to have it ready when I had the surgery. I am up to 14 minutes a day, slow speed, but it's a start. All of your recovery must be shortened because you were exercising prior to surgery. Maybe in a few months I will have enough energy to take yoga or work with a personal trainer too. The hard part is exercising before I go to work, as I don't get home till midnight. And today is my day off, so I will promise you guys I will work out today, no matter what!!

I had been back to work for 3 days, and today was my day off. I had to fast and have blood work taken, then I went grocery shopping. I was so very tired today, fell asleep on the couch and just now woke up. I guess I needed the rest, but I did not work out. So tomorrow it is, I won't go more than one day without working out. I'm still tired, so going to bed.

well I did 1 mile today, pretty slow. I know when I do a a mile or what not cause i drove my circuit with villually seeing where .5 miles is, so I walk .5 out and .5 back, that way I can time myself. I know it's kinda ocd. :biggrin:

grace I used to do curves I like their circuit, you will be at it in no time

joany, it's good to keep those goals in mind, tomorrow will be a great day. I know I'm trying to walk before I go to work, it's hard cause it's dark here, so I just lay there. sometimes when i didn't do it in the morning I would try to even do like some walking at lunch time. Of course when I get in the rhythm of doing it before work my whole day goes better. glad you got a day off, hope your blood tests were good

happy exercising all!

Hey folks.

Checking in-- I did not make my goal this week (exercise 5 of 7 days). Today was my last day of the week and I did 4 of 7 days.

So, I'll keep 5 of 7 for my next goal and see if I can do it this week.

I'm not going to do the treadmill today but going with

DH to walk dogs.

well I did 1 mile today, pretty slow. I know when I do a a mile or what not cause i drove my circuit with villually seeing where .5 miles is, so I walk .5 out and .5 back, that way I can time myself. I know it's kinda ocd. :)

grace I used to do curves I like their circuit, you will be at it in no time

joany, it's good to keep those goals in mind, tomorrow will be a great day. I know I'm trying to walk before I go to work, it's hard cause it's dark here, so I just lay there. sometimes when i didn't do it in the morning I would try to even do like some walking at lunch time. Of course when I get in the rhythm of doing it before work my whole day goes better. glad you got a day off, hope your blood tests were good

happy exercising all!

Hi my inspirational exercise buddies!! I am going to work out today before work, UGH. Yesterday I did not work out, I pulled something on my incision and bled for several hours and when I woke up yesterday there was blood all over my PJs. I had some tests on Friday and I had to lay down and get up 4 times, on the table, then I went home and worked out. I think my clothes had been rubbing on my incision. So when I went back to work yesterday I wore something really baggy and periodically looked at my incision. I am going to sit down tonight and get an exercise goal. I have a weight loss goal of 1 lb a week, so I should have an exercise goal too, especially one where I start weight lifting as well. You guys are keeping me going.

Hi all! I too did not make my goal this week, We can all try again next week. I did do .3 miles yesterday, I decided to get really ocd and take my handheld gps out (that's what I do for a living is gps stuff) anyway it was fun cause it gave me my exact miles per hour. those cheapy garmin hand helds are fun, I forget that- ha ha- something for the dork in everyone I guess.

Anyway today Iam walking with my family for a half hour, have it on the schedule. I have one more week till I can do real excercise and I"m also giving that time till I push my speed up from that of a snail to a regular average type person- ha ha.

Miss Joanie- that is a drag about the incision- we all need to remember that we are still healing from surgery, which is a big deal, and not to get to gung hoe.

sourmissg- walking the dog is a great way, better then the treadmill maybe cause you get fresh air and sun on your face ;-) is DH your partner or kid. Sorry if you've already said this before, my memory is still shot from the surgery I swear.

have a great sunday everyone- today I start pureed food- mmmm

Hey all!

Didn't work out yesterday but managed to walk 4 miles this evening. Monday I plan on doing Curves Smart and then walking at least 2 miles. Tuesday through Thursday I have to be out of town so I'm hoping that I can get acquainted with the treadmill at the hotel to stay consistent. I don't want travel to be an excuse.

I hope everyone has a great week!

gracerev

happy monday all.

this morning before work I walked 1 mile! yeah, I hope to keep it going.