Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any guys here?

I have a lot of weight reduction. I think it will continue to decline in the future because I've followed some suggestions in the forums. Great forum.

Hi All.

Banded 4/26/10, outpatient. Began pre-op diet at 237 (bmi 37), weighed in this morning at 209. Depending on how I calculate the start date/weight, I'm down about a pound per week. Insurance paid 100%. No particular "guy" issues, I don't think.

The whole notion of the band being a "tool" is totally on target - but I think its impossible to understand before you have one. Its not a cure - you really do have to learn how to use it, and be willing to do so. There is definitely a learning curve, and you have to be pretty thoughtful about your eating (content, timing, etc.) That said, I still get stuck about once per week, and when it happens it just sucks. I've puked in some interesting places (my mother-in-law's backyard, on the interstate while driving, in the bathroom of a home I was considering for a purchase), and it can really put a damper on the day.

I've been surprised at the kinds of foods that "work" and those that don't. For example, I can still eat a bagel (well, 1/2 a bagel), but bananas and some yogurts cause problems. I eat at least one salad per day (with Beans, walnuts, other veggies, a bit of olive oil, etc) which I find very satisfying and easy to eat (I'm a vegetarian). I try to have some Protein with every meal, but I don't really count Protein grams. I usually have 4 small meals (a bit less than 1 cup, by volume) of 300-400 calories each. I don't drink for 60-90 minutes after a meal (and NEVER during a meal), and try and drink 12-16 oz 10 or 15 minutes before I eat. I eat every 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours, and can stretch that out a bit by drinking. Diet Snapple has become my new best friend.

Mostly, problems arise when I am rushed or distracted and don't concentrate on chewing, or eat too quickly.

i could probably have the band tightened a bit to quicken my weight loss (8 cc in a 14 cc band), but I am committed to the idea of wanting to eat "normal foods in normal amounts", which is basically where i am. Also, I don't want to increase the frequency of vomiting. Once every 7-10 days is plenty.

All in all, I am VERY pleased with the band. For the first time in my life, I can eat a meal, feel satisfied, and not be hungry again five minutes later. I feel better physically, my numbers (bp, cholesterol) are all way down, and, while I am by no means at a normal weight - yet - I look a lot better.

Nice to hear from the guys on the board. Good luck to those of you who are going for it.

Unsolicited advice:

(1) Make sure you have your surgery performed by a reputable, well-trained physician who does A LOT of bands - practice really does make perfect.

(2) Go to a practice that provides good follow-up care and support (fills, nutrition advice, moral support). This is key.

(3) Don't expect a miracle - it takes work, attention, and a willingness to endure some "unpleasantness" while you're learning how this thing works.

Best,

Zig

Edited by ziggledog
additions

Hey ziggledog,

You seem to have the same stats that I do - age 46, BMI around 37, around 230 lbs. You say your insurance covered 100%, I assume you had co-morbidities. Was it sleep apnea? I've just been diagnosed with it and am hoping to get insurance coverage for banding.

Here's another guy! Just had my band done yesterday, had a bit of pain after waking up from surgery which 5mg of morphine cured. No pain since then, been walking, sipping fluids and enjoying the fact I have a physical/psychological band in place to help me. I need to learn to work with the band. I help him, he'll help me!

As other posts have mentioned, it's not a magic bullet. It's a means of helping to change your long term relationship to food, and as a consequence weight will be shed, self esteem and health will improve.

Follow the rules and enjoy the journey:thumbup:

Hey Rand. Yup - the co-morbidities had set in: hypertension and dyslipidemia (sp?), both reasonably well-controlled with meds. Sugar started to creep up, but was still within normal limits. Also snoring with occasional sleep disruption, but sleep study was negative. Hope that helps.

Zig

Hey Rand. Yup - the co-morbidities had set in: hypertension and dyslipidemia (sp?), both reasonably well-controlled with meds. Sugar started to creep up, but was still within normal limits. Also snoring with occasional sleep disruption, but sleep study was negative. Hope that helps.

Zig

Thanks. I'm diagnosed with "severe" obstructive sleep apnea. So, I think that should get me coverage. Now, I need to get my mind around actually doing this thing.

Hey Rand - its definitely a big thing to get one's mind around. Not only was I scared witless about surgery, but I was philosophically opposed to having a band, i.e., "I should just be able to eat less, etc.". At this point I feel very comfortable with my decision. I think the complication rate is relatively high (20% long-term by some estimates, and a leader in the lap-band installation field recently testified that the long-term complication rate is "unknowable" - scary stuff ). However, I've found it reasonable to ask myself what the long-term comp rate for being 75 lbs overweight might be. So, with that in mind i went ahead. Good luck with your insurance co.

zig

Hey all, I wanted to put my two cents in. Everyone is right on. This is a tool and you still have to do the work. I'll fall off the horse one day then get back on for a week. That's part of living with the band. I accept I'm a slow loser and I'm ok with that. Goal was to get to a healthy happy weight and I am half way there in the first 7 months or so. No complaints. Unsolicited advice: Listen to your band. There are no get stuck foods, there are only food that get stuck in you. Some can eat bread some can't. Some eat donuts some don't. Best part of the band: Freedom, I now can choose to have a good day or a bad day with food. Used to be that food ruled my days. I was a low BMI patient and thus paid out of pocket for the surgery. I saw where I was headed and didn't want to go there, so I took control and have gained my freedom back.

Good luck to anyone making this choice becuase it is just that, your choice. It's not easy and it's not for everyone. I love my band and look forward to many years of weight loss under my terms.

Hey y'all,

I'm 10 days away from my band surgery. Just found this thread and thought I'd say Hi!

John

Another guy here.

Been lurking for a couple of months, mostly doing research. Just one more appointment (27Oct) and all my requirements will be complete.

Hoping to get banded in Nov. before the holidays.

This site has been great.

I'm a guy too. Thanks to my band I can look down and know this immediately without having to find a mirror or ask a stranger what is between my legs.

The best way to get unstuck is to try and not get stuck in the first place.

It will happen but we all need to pay attention and keep the occurrences down.

Sorry if I mislead you...I AM NOT A GUY. I am a lady and I was trying to be nice and pass on a tip when food does get stuck.

Nothing against the ladies, but I'd like to hear from men who read or post here. What sort of things did you deal with when you were getting ready for banding? How are you doing with your weight loss? Is your experience with the band different than it is for women? Any lessons learned from the male point of view that you'd care to share?

Dave

(P.S. Yes, I know there is a Man Room forum here, but nobody seems to post there much.)

Being banded Dec. 2nd. Getting my cardiology clearance this Friday, then my nutrition class on next Tuesday. Time is moving fast. Starting pre op diet next week, BUT still have my "last supper" planned on my birthday.

Greetings from Indonesia - hope I can join here - even if I am not located in the USA

Was banded on 11 November and have felt great for the past week since. My starting weight was 119 kgs (262 lbs) on 18 October when I commenced my pre-op diet. I was 114.6 kgs (252 lbs) on the day of my banding.

One week on from banding I am now 109.5 kgs (241 lbs) and feeling fantastic. The liquid post op diet is not a worry for me so far but I still have another week to go so anything can happen.

Expecting my first fill on 12 December

Jake here.Banded 10/4. Almost lost band today, but emergency surgery fixed problems with the port and tubing. Totally happy with band. Can have struggles at times but the rewards out weight the struggles any time! jake