Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Envious of friend that has had GB

So my friend had GBS in September and is down almost 80 lbs!! She started about about 20 lbs heavier than I was at my heaviest (so around 350), she eats everything and anything and is losing like crazy. Here I am almost a year out and only down 50lbs!!

It's normal to be envious of that kind of weight loss..but ask yourself are you envious of her having her insides re re- routed, are you envious of her having to take many Vitamins and minerals for the rest of her life, are you envious of her having the dumping syndrome are you envious of her having major sagging loose skin because she lost her weight so fast? ? Are you enviuos of her having all of this just to lose weight at a faster pace then you? You are much healthier then she is right now I'm sure and I'm sure you look healthier too..many GBP patients look ill and withdrawn and sunken in in their faces due to rapid weight loss. In the end, shewill be envious when her pouch has stretched and she is gaining her weight back slowly. Just my thoughts

The post by LaMadam was right on the money. I know my friend has lots of sagging skin. She holds it in right now with panties that have a tummy holder inner in them, but she has showed it to me and it is UGLY. She lost all her weight in a yr. but she wants cosmetic surgery because of all the lose skin. Ask this friend of yours if you can see that tummy. People can cover it up with clothes, but the fact is she has sagging skin big time.

La madam,

What sweet words and wisdom you came with...

Plus I heard that a good chunck of people eaither die or develop VERY serious problems along with GB as I was reading in thier forums, except the lucky few of course

With the band, I guess the worst case scenario would be that you have to remove the band!! and that's it, you are back 100% normal without detours inside you :rolleyes:

There's an old saying, the grass is always greener on the other side. It's only human nature that you envy her for her rapid weight loss as you are in the process of losing weight yourself, albeit slower.

I doubt very seriously that there are very many banded people who haven't at one time or another questioned our original decision and thought about what if. It's human nature. If we could take a pill and wake up thin tomorrow, there would be a line wrapping around the globe itself to get that pill. I'd be in it, I know.

Stating that she eats anything and everything isn't possible without her suffering some really adverse side effects. We all know that, but if you are basing this on her word alone, don't be so easily taken in by her. If you have witnessed her yourself eating things that she shouldn't be able to, I doubt if you get to see her bodies reaction to it. Besides, what is she learning, how to continue her unhealthy habits, resulting in the usual outcome eventually?

Instead of putting down your own accomplishment, which is wonderful BTW, try giving yourself credit and be proud. You are doing what you felt was best for you at the time you made the decision. Try to remember those reasons why you opted to be banded vs GB. Those reasons were important to you then and still should be.

You are losing at a perfectly normal healthy rate. You are also learning to make better food choices and living a healthier lifestyle. You cannot tell me that after all of the weight you have lost, you haven't noticed any changes, it would be impossible. Think NSV, write them down and remind yourself of what has changed for you. Do you not have more energy? Are you not wearing a smaller size? Are you sincerely not happier than you were before you lost this weight?

Sorry to go on like this, but I think you are selling yourself short. You do not deserve to be treated like that, even by yourself. You are better than that, recognize it and respond to the positive thinking rather than the negative.

Take care of yourself, please. I personally think you are doing a wonderful job and I know I am not alone here in thinking that.

Cindy

I understand where you are coming from but.....there is no amount of money, no amount of thinness, no amount of envy, NOT ONE THING that would make me have a GBP. 80 pounds since September, there's no way that is healthy in anybody's book. Everyone I know who has had GBP has had severe health problems. Weight loss does not always equal health. I'd rather be heavier and healthy....

i just want to say i understand how you feel. my girlfriend has bypass surgery & lost 150 pounds but by the time i got banded she had gained 80 of it back . your weight is gone forever if you keep up with the aftercare. bypass patients just dont have the aftercare we do & alot of them gain it back . but i do understand what you are feeling but you are doing great . down 50 pounds FOREVER

This friend of mine paid $500.00 above and beyond her insurance for "literature" for the next year. She never went back to the dr. for any sort of checkup or anything. I don't understand why, except perhaps it was a 3 hr. drive, but she has never, ever gone back. She receives literature in the mail (same junk you could read on line). She belongs to no support groups on line, and is not happy with her body without clothes. Now, this woman is 34 and should be thrilled with her body. She looks great in clothes, but she has a lot of loose skin that she absolutely hates and is looking into the cost of a Tummy Tuck and having skin removed from under her arms. I don't envy her. I truly think she is almost as miserable as she was heavy. Just my 2 cents.

I had lapband Dec 1st. I was debating on having gastric bypass but I was afaid of it.The man at the hopspital was up and talking after the surgery and then he died in the room next to me. Im sure glad I did not have it. I will take my band and lose my pound or two a week.It is not worth the risk of gastic bypass.

I agree with what has been said. My aunt had GBS a couple of years ago and yes she did loss alot of her weight but now she is struggling to keep it off. So while it's taking you a little longer to loss...yours will be more permenant because you are learning the right way to eat.

Don't be too jealous. My friend had a gastric bypass and just gained back 50 pounds and started Weight Watchers. I'm going to join with her this weekend.

It's not the surgery you select, it's whether or not you obey the rules of Weight Loss Surgery. Both the Band and the Bypass are ONLY TOOLS. The rest is up to you. She can drop 200 pounds, then put them right back on unless she follows her dietary guidelines, just like you.

I agree with everyone! I had my lap band placed the same time my best friends Aunt had RNY. Know what? She's in intensive care and is on her way to a nursing home after she's out of danger. I hear they had problems with rerouting her and after had major leaking and almost died.

Wonder what is in store for her in the future if she does recover.

I think we all who have the band are very lucky and should be greatful for every pound we loose and not gain.

Hugs to you and be happy!

Schel