Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for other 20somethings? Surgery 2 days away!

waiting for tuesday! 10/5... suffering through the pre-op liquid diet though :thumbup: scared to go under the knife... anyone around my age?:smile2:

Hey looks like we are around the same age, I'm 21. I was banded this past Tuesday, September 28th and so far so good. The doctor said that my surgery went amazingly and they released me a few hours post-op which was nice, it was comforting being at home (my parents' house anyways) to recover. The first 2 days I had a little trouble getting fluids down and could seem to meet goal but now I'm better and finishing up my stage 1 clear fluids and about to change over to full fluids so I'm anxious to be able to add a little more to my diet, something with a little more taste especially. But all in all the pain has subsided and I'm up and moving around and I'll be returning to school tomorrow which I'm hoping to go just as well, we'll see. Hope all goes well for you, keep posting! :smile2:

oooh my surgeon was hoping to release me the same day too !! (although thats not a guaruntee, but he says im in really good health nd generally really active otherwise so he says it looks good!) Its sooo comforting talking to ppl around my age, everyone that i know that had it are all alot older, nd it makes me feel like im too young to do this, but its reassuring. hope everything is going well for you too girl! Did you tell anyone about getting banded? I dont think I will, At least not my bf, or sorority sisters (100 of us tend to be blabbermouths!!) lol.

My parents obviously know and only four of my close friends, one of them actually had the surgery herself about a year and a half ago. However, I never told them when my actual surgery date was so they are unaware that I've had it, I want it to be a surprise for the next time I see them around the holidays. As for my boyfriend, I didn't tell him at first mainly because I felt embarrassed and didn't think he'd understand what it was I was doing or why. He knows now, he actually found out accidentally when he came with me to a post-op appointment for a different surgery I had earlier this year and the nurse brought it up. He was a little upset that I didn't tell him about it in the first place but he soon got over it and he was right on board with me. The day of my surgery he was by my side holding my hand during pre-op and there waiting for me when I was in recovery. He's been a great support system as well as my parents, I'm lucky to have them because they're making it a lot easier of a transformation.

awww that's so adorablee!!! I thought about telling my boyfriend but I dont think I can, surgery is tommorow -he thinks its something different. I feel bad hiding things from him but I don't think he'd understand!!! Only my dad & his gf know, i didnt tell anyone else in the whole world. I feel like people would think its an easy way out. : but ugh I'm flying home for the surgery tommorow am and im STUCK in the airport right now, so boredddd my flight is delayed!!! =[!!!

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I was very hesitant to tell anyone. I chose to tell my friends after I knew for sure I was getting it, which was about 6 months after my first appointment. They know what I've gone through over the years and the struggles I've had so they were able to understand how this was almost a final resort to save my health and prolong my life for the future. As for the boyfriend situation, he was one who thought it was an easy way out at first and told me he thought I could lose the weight and get healthy without the surgery. I told him more about my past, prior to when I knew him and that helped him to understand the difficulties I've had trying to lose weight and he was accepting of my decision. He did admit however that he thought I'd back out last minute and decide otherwise up until the time of pre-op when they where getting ready to walk me into surgery. But now, only a week later he sees how happy I am with my decision and he's willing to do anything to help me, as long as I promise not to leave him once I'm "hot and skinny" (his words not mine). I assured him that I love him for now and for always and that wouldn't change just cause my weight will. I'm not saying you have to tell him, but it's inevitable that he's gonna find out sooner or later especially with your post-op diet up until stage 5. But do it when you're ready and see how it goes. Best of luck to you with your surgery and recovery, be sure to post after too! :)

I'm 22 and my surgery is thursday!!! i'm really excited. Ive told all my close friends except the boy i like because i think he would be worried about me so i'm not. None of my sorority sisters know. Not even my big. I'm really excited that I would potentially be a sized 8/10 for my senior formal next fall :)

wish me luck girls!!!

ugh.

I am in so much pain!!!!!!! i'm such a huge baby when it comes to pain but i am really suffering lol. I just keep thinking of how good it will be in the long run. my mom is not supportive, i had to lie and told her that this was not the surgery i got (shes not a positive person). It just sucks im in so much pain and she wont support me. shes mad i had surgery at all (even on the lie) and didnt tell her! its hard trying to suffer alone lol. the boy is being a brat. knows i had surgery. but no flowers no nothing! hasnt talked to me since wednesday. hes such a jerk :biggrin:. I hope it stops hurting soon. I have alottt of bruising all around my tummy and everything is so uncomfortable. and YAYYYYY another sorority girl!!!! lovess itt. I couldnt face 100 of my skinny gorgeous sisters, thats one thing they probbably wouldnt understand lol. good luck girl!!!

Hey there. I'm glad your surgery went well but I'm sorry you're in so much pain. :biggrin: I haven't had my surgery yet but everyone says to sip your Water and walk, walk, walk!

I hope you get to feeling better soon and hope your friends and family wise up and support you for YOUR great decision.

just weighed myself today... in addition to the pre-op liquid diet I lost 15lbs...?!?!?!!?! :)! Gotta see if that scale's broken! I Cant believe it! This is starting to seem more and more like a great decision!!! minus the kalidescope of bruising on my tummy and overall discomfort of course... Im starting to dig this! :D Good Luck Rockstar, Your days coming up soon!!

hmm just checking if my signature thing worked... lets see

I was 24 when I got banded and have done this entire journey alone. I live half way across the world from my family so it was best I didnt tell them.

I even kept all my surgeries a secret from my friends here. Good luck with your weight loss. With a good support group you can do great :)