Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

Hi All,

Well tomorrow is my first day back at work after about a month off ( 1 day Pre-Op before Surgery and 3.5 weeks off Post Op ). I am excited to see my friends but I am a little apprehensive too. I only told four close friends and apparently one or more blabbed. I work in a mostly male dominated company with some macho testosterone hi- jinks and ball busting. I have a friend who is an Italian American old school crusty East Coast Ball Buster who I know will be busting my chops tomorrow. Of course since I am his Boss, I will make his life miserable in turn too :):smile2::D.

Actually overall I am excited I have been off too long and I was getting seriously bored at home. I haven't Not worked for so long that this month off was way too long for me. 2 weeks would have been ok but my job is semi -physical so I did want to make sure I would be ok. Hopefully I am.

Everyone have a Great Week and I will see / write & read you soon.

-Brian :)

Hi Brian,

No, the band will stay where it is, actually the surgeon says we may be able to fill it after 3 months, we have to see how things go. I was concerned because I had surgery while I was already pregnant, but doc said it was so early on, it shouldn't have an effect. I'm no where out of the woods, but I need lost of prayers that this baby is OK. Funny thing is, I found out I was pregnant the day after my son turned 10!

They did my bloodwork in Aug, while I was NOT pregnant. Before surgery they ask, "pregnant?" I said noooo. Dummy!

thanks for the congrats, it's a bumpy road ahead, but I believe we are given what we can handle.

Thanks,

Brenda

Hi Brenda !

Great news... I am not sure if you noticed it BUT there is actually a PREGNANCY WITH THE LAP BAND whole section on the main page just below Post Op Section a few rows down. You aren't alone and it has a good number of fellow pregnant Bandsters there too !

Hi OC !

Wow I thought I had it bad :thumbup:. Yeah I know where you are coming from , again in my job I can be forced overtime too and I can be forced to work 6 and 7th day for weeks at a time... BUT with this year being a slow year for movies ( it usually takes a year or two to effect the Motion Picture Industry ) and because of the economy and the banks were tight lending money to the studios to make movies last year this year is slow. Next year my company is swamped... this year we are slow.

Does your job pay you well at least ? Good benefits ? I am paid pretty well and I have fantastic medical / dental / vision through Motion Picture Industry Health Plan *** BUT *** they don't cover bariatric surgery of any kind. Hospitals LOVE to see me and my card and I am kept over pretty long compared to others with lesser insurance. Still sucks that they don't cover bariatric though.

P.S. .... I am glad you are feeling better and out of the hospital.

thanks Brian, i'm glad too! it could have turned into full on bowel obstruction which could have meant another surgery :wink2:

i initially thought it was a hernia cause the pains were soooo bad. glad it wasn't that either :/

as for my job, *sigh* im afraid the pay isn't what i would like it to be. i know managment likes me a lot though so i'm hoping i can continue to get promoted through the company and eventually get to examiner [people who actually pay the medical claims] to make a few extra hourly $. sadly, our examiners are treated just as badly. they have been on this forced overtime for almost 3 years :smile2: it's....unfortunate.

i came in as a grunt, a gopher, a "sh*t position" as one of my coworkers put it. i came in as a claims clerk and the pressure was intense and the pay was crap because i had only 1 year of previous work exp. :mad2: im considered "clerical" which is the bottom of the totem pole. BUT! i was promoted within a year and half to Data Entry Processor and the next place to get promoted to is Examiner. i'm movin on up i suppose. :D i just have to bust my hump to prove myself which isn't an issue for me. i'm willing to work hard in order to benefit myself.

the benefits aren't much better either. pay an arm and a leg to be able to have them. when i was hired nearly almost 3 years ago, i was paying $40 for my medical insurance. when 2010 came around i was given a choice to stay within my own medical group [the one i work for] for $60 a paycheck, or i can stick with my PCP i currently had and pay $80 :) a paycheck. i liked my PCP an didn't want to lose her. im forking out the $80. besides, if i would have went with my own employer as my medical group, my medical claims would hve been paid by my own coworkers! no effing way! they don't need to know my problems lol!

however, they did offer a VERY good HMO plan, which is Anthem Blue Cross/California Care. they do have bariatric benefits and the whole process lasted about 3 months. i got approved within a day of submitting the Authorization.

the medical insurance is about the only thing i love about my job lmao. the medical group i have {St Jospehs Affiliated Phys.] is great. very speedy auths and referrals.

the vision and dental are so-so. not too bad but not the best our there either.

Hi All,

I am new to the forum was banded Sept 28th!

Good Afternoon, it's looking like winter is coming here- not really but cold and rainy.

I am back to work, of course many yummy treats in the kitchen that I am ignoring. no one here knows, no one but my husband knows- oh yeah and all of you!!!

feeling pretty good, but I could just lay down and take a nap.

and today I was able to have some drinkable yogurt- oh was that yummy. Kefir here I come. I'm actually looking forward to a protien shake later this week. that Isopure is some kind of foul- it's like Syrup. I made my family some killer Soups this week so I could take the broth.

7 days post op! wow.

Thanks all for being here.

Lisa, Your back to work that's good. I have my first post-op appointment

next Monday October 11, I'm hope that the Dr gives me until Monday

October 19. I'm not in any pain, but I still don't feel up to part. Today

I clean my closet did not do mush, I had to go lay down. I think after

I start eating pureed food I my have more energy.

Hi Everyone!!

I'm so happy that Brian moved us over to this forum... THANKS Brian!

Welcome to all the new members!

This is my first ost in this forum, so I think I will write a little about myself and how I've been feeling...

I am 36 years old, married, no children (weight related). I started this journey and have never looked back. I was banded on Sept 20th and so far hae lost 28 pound since pre-op (15 pre-op & 13 post-op). My doc filled my band a little the same day of surgery so my next fill is on the 20th of Oct. I am really looking forward to it because I am feeling hungry about 3 hours after I eat lunch or dinner. Usually in the am I am tighter so it is not bad.

Hope all are doing wonderful...

Monica

Hey Gang!

Banded a week ago today and am already down 14 pounds!! Looks like everyone else is having a good drop in pounds/kilograms as well!!

Hi, everyone. I missed the pre-op page but was banded on September 13, 2010, by Dr. Larson. I had only lost 7 pounds on my first pre-op visit. I am on full solid and will have my first fill on October 11, 2010. I cannot wait because I do get very hungry and do not always make the best choices. I really have to try. I am afraid that I will lose a little and fail again. I will try to keep positive and keep up the will power. I am so afraid that I will gain before I get in for my fill. Anyone else allowed to eat solids yet. If not, don't fret, I think it makes you more hungry. :) Let's do this.

Hello Everyone -

So glad to see so many familiar names and welcome to all the newbies to the family. Thanks Brian for being our leader in the Post-Op stage.

I'll try to get everyone caught up to date on my happenings. My surgery was suppose to be Sept 10 but was move to Aug 27. I still consider myself a September Bandster even though I was a few days premature. I had to do 5 weeks of Post-Op liquid diet which glad to say ended last Wednesday. 12 days post-op I had my first fill of 3 ccs, day 19 I had my second fill of another 3 ccs and day 26 I had my 3rd fill of another 3 ccs. So when I started eating I had to learn with 9ccs in my band. I have to admit I was scared to death but it's been really easy. I had no idea how much food to eat so I start portioning it out first and then gradually expanding it.

My happy spot where I can eat enough to be full for hours but yet have not ill effects from eating is 1/2 of cup of food total. It does not sound like a lot but it works well.

I went to Outback Steakhouse over the weekend and was not sure how I would handle my first meal out. When the server brought my food I asked for a to-go box and portioned out my 1/2 cup and boxed the rest before I even took my first bite. It worked perfect. I was full and did not feel compelled to nibble.

It's a great feeling to be on this side.

Just a side note.

When I am reading about all the troubles, from getting insurance approval, recovery from surgery, starving during the liquid diet phase, learning to eat without puking and being able to sleep on our stomachs again and our friends have the "Nerve" to say we took the easy way out. ya right.

Cathy

Hi to the new faces!

Ok, folks, I need some cooking help. This week I am very excited to be adding baked fish to my diet BUT, shameful admission ahead. . .

I have ruined every piece of fish I've ever tried to make at home.

How the heck do you cook fish so that it is done, and soft, and flakey, and not overcooked? I am generally a good cook but fish flummoxes me!

First post-surgery appt tomorrow afternoon-- I'll find out then when my first fill is.

Hey, Guys!!! Its so nice to see us all doing well on the post-op side. Brian~ Thanks for getting us all here. I cant believe it, we are 4 days into October and already on page 7?!? Looks like I will have some catching up to do... Just wanted to take a sec to post and say "Hello" to everyone..

You ALL have been an invaluable part of the pre-surgery process for me, I am so glad that we can continue on this journey together! I will write more soon!

thanks Brian, i'm glad too! it could have turned into full on bowel obstruction which could have meant another surgery :sad:

i initially thought it was a hernia cause the pains were soooo bad. glad it wasn't that either :/

as for my job, *sigh* im afraid the pay isn't what i would like it to be. i know managment likes me a lot though so i'm hoping i can continue to get promoted through the company and eventually get to examiner [people who actually pay the medical claims] to make a few extra hourly $. sadly, our examiners are treated just as badly. they have been on this forced overtime for almost 3 years :sad: it's....unfortunate.

i came in as a grunt, a gopher, a "sh*t position" as one of my coworkers put it. i came in as a claims clerk and the pressure was intense and the pay was crap because i had only 1 year of previous work exp. -_- im considered "clerical" which is the bottom of the totem pole. BUT! i was promoted within a year and half to Data Entry Processor and the next place to get promoted to is Examiner. i'm movin on up i suppose. :unsure: i just have to bust my hump to prove myself which isn't an issue for me. i'm willing to work hard in order to benefit myself.

Hi OC !

Keep your head up and keep kicking butt and you will go places. I started entry level at my job 8 years ago, worked extremely hard and was dedicated, I've have moved up every year until I got to my current position. Every department I went for I got / had a great reputation and everyone always wanted me in their departments. At one point I got as high as I wanted / my dream job there - working in Customer Service dealing directly with the Studios / Directors / Studio Executives / Producers / Movie Stars and after about a year decided I was nuts and it wasn't worth it for the extremely long hours / stress / crap and for the same pay I was getting for the level below. So I backed down to my previous level and I am pretty happy. Although going out to lunch at a Hollywood elite restaurant with a $1000 lunch tab that I didn't have to pay for was kinda neat:ohmy:. Going out to lunch every day to nice restaurants on the company was pretty cool. :tt2:

People / Management always notice the hard workers and they also notice the slugs.

Another GREAT benefit of working so much is the money. I worked so much overtime that I basically have no time to spend it / too exhausted to spend it and by the time I am done after a few weeks of long days for 4-6 weeks straight every day including time and a half Saturdays and double time Sundays... I usually have an extra $4-5,000 at least. I am not sure how much you make but when you are slammed by long hours I doubt you spend any and chances are you saved a lot of money too.

Just trying to put a good face on it. :tongue2:

-Brian :crying:

Welcome Monica / Hi Cathy ! Hi All !!!

Well today was my first day back at work after about 1 month off ( 3.5 weeks Post Op Recovery , 1 day holiday 1 day pre-op ) and it was interesting. I got A LOT of " You Look Great ! ", " you lost a lot of weight ", " looking good ", etc.

It was pretty nice and encouraging. I didn't get razzled like I thought I would and it turned out I don't think my 4 friends spilled the Beans about me getting a REALIZE Band.

Today was pretty typical / I jumped straight back in. I had a few crises pop up / I had to handle them / I found out what movies we are currently working, got my usual dose of stress being the boss, etc. Not a bad day :unsure:.

-Brian :tongue2:

Hi Everyone!

I was banded on 9-10-10 and can't believe it will be a month soon! Where does the time go? I am very happy, thankful and blessed that I finally did this. I have used this forum to help make decisions and learn each day! I am so happy everyone posts and replies as I feel only experience is the best answers :unsure:

I'm 8 days away from "normal" food! Yes! My first fill is 10-17-10. I am nervous about that cause of all I have read about: no drinking, chewing, small portions etc...thank you everyone for all your info!!

Hi! I to was banded on 9-10-10. I got my first fill today! Its not bad at all! I can still drink and eat fine. Just not as hungry as often! Its wonderful! Don't worry! :tongue2: