Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking during meals

Im ready to scream about this. I am eating right and I can eat small portions but I find myself ALWAYS drinking during meals and I know this is messing me up with my weight loss. I have been struggling with dysphagia for years and usually need a drink to get food down. Now I am not suppose to drink at all during meals and stop by a certain time before and after.... its driving me nuts.. I don't know what to do...

if you can't avoid drinking during meals then maybe the lap band isn't the right option for you. it's probably the best way to sabatoge your weight loss with your band. it's the #1 way to halt weight loss, besides liquid cals. it's hard at first, but necessary.

I've found I physically can NOT drink during meals. If I do, it's all coming back up. This has been a good hindrance for me. Sorry I don't have much advice, other than to not have an option...don't have a liquid around to drink when you're eating. Good luck to you!

I have the same issue as Txprincess. I cannot drink and eat at the same time because it all comes up. and i HAVE to wait at least 30 minutes after eating to drink anything.

I am another one who cant drink with meals as it will come right back up and I find it to be painfull!!!

I do miss drinking with meals but am dealing...

Im ready to scream about this. I am eating right and I can eat small portions but I find myself ALWAYS drinking during meals and I know this is messing me up with my weight loss. I have been struggling with dysphagia for years and usually need a drink to get food down. Now I am not suppose to drink at all during meals and stop by a certain time before and after.... its driving me nuts.. I don't know what to do...

I was having the same issues. Been banded now a little over a month and found it really hard to stop drinking while eating. The last week and half I really have been forcing myself not to have a drink anywhere near me while I was eating. It has been really hard but slowly is becoming possible.

I can't imagine what it must be like to have to deal with the dysphagia and the band.. have you talked to your doctor about this? I know my doctor told me if I feel I had to drink something to take very small sips.

You can do this! Just take it one small step at a time =)

Not drinking with meals is hard trust me. Sometimes I forget so there are times where I make a mistake and go to drink right after a meal. I understand the frustration but this is something youre going to have to work with.

Someone once posted on here some advice from her doctor. When you go to eat take a glass full of ice with you. The amount of ice that melts during the meal is what you can drink during the meal. This seems to be a great way to start the no drinking while eating plan.

Lucky for me half of my family believes that you should not drink during a meal so it has been in my head since a kid to not drink much or at all during a meal, however I am still battling the not drinking right after a meal.

Have you talked to your band surgeon about the dysphagia? How much do you need to drink to get a swallow of food to go down?

If you need a little sip of Water to moisten the food enough to get it to go down, it might not be a problem.

I discussed my LOVE of milk with my evening meal with my surgeon. I told him that I was able to cut down the amount, but was having issues stopping it entirely.

He said I could sip a small cup if I could tolerate it. His main concern was me drinking calories, and that I would not have room for it.

I have experimented with drinking vs. not drinking with my meals--since my surgeon said I could, and for ME it doesn't make a difference in my satiety level.

dont fix a glass get you a cup of ice what ever melts while u eat is what you can drink

I have the same problem with drinking...the ice idea sounds like a good one...... I will try it thanks

I'm pre surgery still and have been able to stop drinking with meals but I. Too still want and am having a hard time with the 30mins after eating. As soon as I'm done eatting I just automaticly get something to drink. Hoping to be able to change that soon lol

Good luck all we all can do it!!

I've found I physically can NOT drink during meals. If I do, it's all coming back up. This has been a good hindrance for me. Sorry I don't have much advice, other than to not have an option...don't have a liquid around to drink when you're eating. Good luck to you!

Same here. Since my last fill, I cant drink during or after meals or I puke it all up! :laugh:

This is going to be the hardest thing for me to get accustomed to. I loveeee to have liquid at a meal...milk...tea..soda..water...it doesn't matter.

My surgery is tentatively scheduled for the 23 Nov so I really need to get a handle on not drinking at meals.

I also have a desk job and constantly have Water at my desk gulping it down.

Those of you who are banded...are you able to drink throughout the day without having issues? I don't have all of my thyroid so I'm constantly thirsty for some reason so I always have a drink on me.

This is going to be the hardest thing for me to get accustomed to. I loveeee to have liquid at a meal...milk...tea..soda..water...it doesn't matter.

My surgery is tentatively scheduled for the 23 Nov so I really need to get a handle on not drinking at meals.

I also have a desk job and constantly have Water at my desk gulping it down.

Those of you who are banded...are you able to drink throughout the day without having issues? I don't have all of my thyroid so I'm constantly thirsty for some reason so I always have a drink on me.

Since my last fill 'gulping' is a thing of the past! I was a gulper! Now I have to sip very very tiny sips. Never seems to be enough! Even popsicles get stuck if I eat them too fast! :laugh:

Since my last fill 'gulping' is a thing of the past! I was a gulper! Now I have to sip very very tiny sips. Never seems to be enough! Even popsicles get stuck if I eat them too fast! :laugh:

Lol, thank you for responding, I honestly knew the answer probably wasn't going to sway the way I wanted it to. :biggrin:

I really need to start to get a handle on this then so it's not such a shock to me when I NEED to be complying with the no-gulping rules. :w00t:

Edited by andrea0121
grammar..errr.