Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance post LAP Band

Hi. I am currently on COBRA; but it will be running out in a few months.

I called my insurance to see what my policy will cost after COBRA. Turns out that due to LAPBand they will not cover me at all and that I need to turn to my states high risk insurance pool. They will not cover me because of the lap band surgery. I have to be 3 years out. For a 1700 deductable the insurance will be $526 a month for 80/20 policy. FYI. So hears to hoping that I get a full time direct job with benefits before my COBRA runs out!

I know the feeling. well for the most part. I am trying to hury and get the green light from my ins (croba) and i am just on the edge of my seat!. and finding a job now days is so hard!!!. Even temp agencys are packed with people that need help. and I read somewhere that the ressesion ended last summer. haha. what ever it has just hit the fan!. best of luck to you and all the other people in this same boat!.

I am having the same problem right now. After all the discussions on getting approved from your current carrier, I can't believe no one is talking about how difficult it is to get coverage after the surgery. I was shocked when I called Blue Cross Texas today. I'm willing to pay cost of coverage, but I'm wondering if anyone will cover me. My surgery was two+ years ago!

totally in the COBRA boat with you! I dont have a job either and let me tell you, he pickens are slim! I went from making 40k a year to notta, as a single mom, i gotta say it sucks..i have no idea where this is gonna lead me but i had my surgery done whil on COBRA....crossing my fingers for all of us!

Hey all, I'm in the same boat. I am on Cobra until Oct. 2011. After that...I don't know what is going to happen. I talked with a broker today that told me I will never qualify for coverage under an individual plan for the rest of my life. I am sitting here in tears right now. I have been crying since I got off the phone with them. If anyone has any idea's or knows of someone who was able to get coverage sometime after having the surgery, please give me hope and let me know. I'm just really upset right now. Any encouragement is welcome :o( My husband isn't offered group coverage at his new job. I feel so sick to my stomach.

Has anyone been able to get private insurance after surgery? I'm still stunned that nobody is discussing this?!! Surely, I'm not the only single, self-employed person that needs to find private insurance after surgery? I can stay on COBRA until March 2012, but I'd really like to find my own insurance well before that deadline. It's not like I can't pay for it - I never dreamed there would be no insurance company willing to cover me.

In California, if you stay on Cobra for the full 18 months they have to convert you to a private policy. Not sure about other states.