Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 3 Post Op Eating too much

You do have to be careful before you have restriction, and be conscious of your portions, but don't beat yourselves up about not losing at this stage. Your body needs time to heal. It took me 6 months and 3 fills to get restriction, but now that I have it, I'm satisified with very small portions, and am not hungry between meals. It's frustrating, but (IMHO) this slow process gives your brain time to adjust to the changes the band causes. Just try to make healthy choices, and continue to "follow the band rules" like chewing food well, drinking plenty of Water , learn how to NOT drink with your meals and getting enough Protein. This way, when you finally have restriction you will be ready and will have already established these habits. Remember....it took YEARS to establish the old bad habits, so it does take some time to learn the new good habits that will make you sucessful. Good luck to all of you....and be kind to yourself during this difficult time.

Edited by stargate713

You do have to be careful before you have restriction, and be concious of your portions, but don't beat yourselves up about not losing at this stage. Your body needs time to heal. It took me 6 months and 3 fills to get restriction, but now that I have it, I'm stisified with very small portions, and am not hungry between meals. It's frustrating, but (IMHO) this slow process gives your brain time to adjust to the changes the band causes. Just try to make healthy choices, and continue to "follow the band rules" like chewing food well, drinking plenty of Water , learn how to NOT drink with your meals and getting enough Protein. This way, when you finally have restriction you will be ready and will have already established these habits. Remember....it took YEARS to establish the old bad habits, so it does take some time to learn the new good habits that will make you sucessful. Good luck to all of you....and be kind to yourself during this difficult time.

Thank you for your post. I have been beating myself up. How do you know when you have the right restriction?

Well, I can only speak for myself, as everyone is different, but now, after I eat about 1/2-1 cup of food I get a feeling in the center of my chest that let's me know to stop eating. The only way I can describe it is a little like indigestion, but not painful. Of course, no matter how much restriction you have, "slider" foods like ice cream, milk shakes, chocolate, etc will go down just fine, so you always have to be aware....the band will not make those choices for you. You will know when you get there...you get very good at paying attention to your body, and the signals you get.

Well, I can only speak for myself, as everyone is different, but now, after I eat about 1/2-1 cup of food I get a feeling in the center of my chest that let's me know to stop eating. The only way I can describe it is a little like indigestion, but not painful. Of course, no matter how much restriction you have, "slider" foods like ice cream, milk shakes, chocolate, etc will go down just fine, so you always have to be aware....the band will not make those choices for you. You will know when you get there...you get very good at paying attention to your body, and the signals you get.

I am getting that feeling now after about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of food and I'm not losing at all. Does it sound to you that I am not at the ideal restriction?

I am one week post op and have lost 12 lbs after surgery. Unfortunatly I weigh myself sometimes twice a day and just found out I have gained 2 pounds back. How is this possible? I ate almost nothing and am gaining weight back! I feel like a failure and am wishing I had the Bypass done instead. Is this normal to go up and down so soon after surgery?? HELP (cry in desperation)

I'm three weeks out of my surgery and I've been able to eat pretty much anything. I have however been eating small portions at a time and I've also been selecetive about the foods I eat. I just had my first whole grain Pasta with turkey sausage and it was delicious. I suggest getting out and walking when you can and eat things that are high in Protein so your body can continue to heal.