Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to properly take medication after surgery

My surgery was August 25th. All went well, no problems.

On discharge, I was advised to crush my medications and take with Water. I take about 6 medications. I crushed them all up and took them all at one time followed by a drink of water, exactly as I had been instructed.

Within 2 days I had a blockage from the powdered medication. I was readmitted to the hospital for 5 more days. I had an NG tube for 48 hours and then they monitored me closely while I began measured intakes of Jello, water, etc.

It's now 2 weeks post op and I am 100%, I feel great and I'm -33 lbs :smile:

I wrote an addendum to the post op instructions for people taking medication that will be included for future band patients.

The hospital called me yesterday to let me know my bill was $43,406.00 for the 5 extra days but I would not be charged since I wasn't properly informed :bored:

Thx,

dave

Here is a copy of the addendum:

Proposed addendum to post Lap Band instructions for patients taking medications.

Written by:

An actual lap band patient

who had severe complications post op due to

a blockage caused by taking too

much powder medication at one time.

David Busick

4045 Glenn Landing Drive

Winston Salem, NC 27107

336-771-2294

Taking prescription and OTC medications after your surgery.

Almost everyone takes medications in their lifetime; some on a daily basis. After lap band surgery you WILL NOT be able to swallow pills and capsules as you normally did.

Your medication will now have to be crushed or your prescription changed to the liquid form if available. Pill crushers are available at any drug store for less than $10.

Make a list of ALL medications you take including OTC's such as aspirin, Tylenol®, Vitamins and supplements.< /p>

Call your pharmacy and find out which medications are available in liquid form or if they may be crushed. If one of your medications isn't available in liquid form and can not be crushed, consult with your family doctor and see if there is an alternative medication they can switch you to.

Here are 3 examples:

Toprol XL is a commonly prescribed drug for heart patients and people with high blood pressure. Toprol XL can not be crushed and is not available in a liquid form. An alternative is to switch you to Lopressor which can be crushed.

Prozac is packaged as a capsule and can be opened but tastes very bitter. An alternative is to switch to liquid Prozac which is the exact same medicine but not bitter.

Rather than crushing Tylenol® (acetaminophen), switch to liquid Tylenol®.

How to take your medication after being crushed.

Taking your medication correctly is as important as ANY part of your post lap band life.

NEVER, under any circumstance should your crushed medication be taken as a dry powder followed by water, juice or any liquid. This can easily form a clog or a blockage in your band and will likely result in you being readmitted to the hospital to correct it !

Crush ONE pill at a time and place the powder in a small medicine cup. When you open a capsule, it will already be in a powder form. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of water and stir this with something like a coffee stirrer or the end of a straw. Medicine cups can be purchased at any drug store and are better for mixing than a kitchen glass. Stir this until it becomes dissolved or until you don't see any chunks of medication.

Now you can safely swallow the mixture followed by a drink of water or juice.

Wait 5-10 minutes and repeat this for each medication but DO NOT take more than ONE at a time.

My doctor / nutritionist / nurse has explained these instructions to me and I understand how important it is to follow these instructions on taking medication after lap band surgery.

Patient Signature

Caregiver Signature

Edited by NC Dave

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had. I take meds normally the same way as preband - to date I have had no problems.

It just shows that everyones band experience is different and that what works for one person may not work for the next.

Thanks for posting this Dave. I'm glad you are doing better now.

I was informed by my surgeon about not swallowing pills and since surgery over a year ago I have only taken liquid, chewable, or crushed and disolved forms. I do not take any Rx meds, but feel for those who have to.

Thanks for posting this Dave. I'm glad you are doing better now.

I was informed by my surgeon about not swallowing pills and since surgery over a year ago I have only taken liquid, chewable, or crushed and disolved forms. I do not take any Rx meds, but feel for those who have to.

I was able to convert one med to liquid form and one to a chewable tablet. Two, I stopped taking all together, Lovaza & Avodart.

The rest I mix with Water and take.

Thx,

dave

My surgery was August 25th. All went well, no problems.

On discharge, I was advised to crush my medications and take with Water. I take about 6 medications. I crushed them all up and took them all at one time followed by a drink of Water, exactly as I had been instructed.

Within 2 days I had a blockage from the powdered medication. I was readmitted to the hospital for 5 more days. I had an NG tube for 48 hours and then they monitored me closely while I began measured intakes of Jello, water, etc.

It's now 2 weeks post op and I am 100%, I feel great and I'm -33 lbs :thumbup:

I wrote an addendum to the post op instructions for people taking medication that will be included for future band patients.

The hospital called me yesterday to let me know my bill was $43,406.00 for the 5 extra days but I would not be charged since I wasn't properly informed :tongue2:

Thx,

dave

Here is a copy of the addendum:

Proposed addendum to post Lap Band instructions for patients taking medications.

Written by:

An actual lap band patient

who had severe complications post op due to

a blockage caused by taking too

much powder medication at one time.

David Busick

4045 Glenn Landing Drive

Winston Salem, NC 27107

336-771-2294

Taking prescription and OTC medications after your surgery.

Almost everyone takes medications in their lifetime; some on a daily basis. After lap band surgery you WILL NOT be able to swallow pills and capsules as you normally did.

Your medication will now have to be crushed or your prescription changed to the liquid form if available. Pill crushers are available at any drug store for less than $10.

Make a list of ALL medications you take including OTC's such as aspirin, Tylenol®, Vitamins and supplements.

Call your pharmacy and find out which medications are available in liquid form or if they may be crushed. If one of your medications isn't available in liquid form and can not be crushed, consult with your family doctor and see if there is an alternative medication they can switch you to.

Here are 3 examples:

Toprol XL is a commonly prescribed drug for heart patients and people with high blood pressure. Toprol XL can not be crushed and is not available in a liquid form. An alternative is to switch you to Lopressor which can be crushed.

Prozac is packaged as a capsule and can be opened but tastes very bitter. An alternative is to switch to liquid Prozac which is the exact same medicine but not bitter.

Rather than crushing Tylenol® (acetaminophen), switch to liquid Tylenol®.

How to take your medication after being crushed.

Taking your medication correctly is as important as ANY part of your post lap band life.

NEVER, under any circumstance should your crushed medication be taken as a dry powder followed by water, juice or any liquid. This can easily form a clog or a blockage in your band and will likely result in you being readmitted to the hospital to correct it !

Crush ONE pill at a time and place the powder in a small medicine cup. When you open a capsule, it will already be in a powder form. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of water and stir this with something like a coffee stirrer or the end of a straw. Medicine cups can be purchased at any drug store and are better for mixing than a kitchen glass. Stir this until it becomes dissolved or until you don't see any chunks of medication.

Now you can safely swallow the mixture followed by a drink of water or juice.< /p>

Wait 5-10 minutes and repeat this for each medication but DO NOT take more than ONE at a time.

My doctor / nutritionist / nurse has explained these instructions to me and I understand how important it is to follow these instructions on taking medication after lap band surgery.

Patient Signature

Caregiver Signature

Wow You really went through it. Thank you so much for telling your story. I am glad that you are better now and a pat on the back for the weight loss!

I take all my meds the same as pre-band unless it is a huge pill which I would break in half. Always follow your Dr's orders. My Dr. said I could swallow any pill or capsule that would fit through the top of a small water bottle. It has worked for me so far.

I'm with the take the pills group. I asked my doctor about this specifically and he told me not to crush anything. I've been taking many pills and large ones and I've never had a problem.

What I'd really like to know, is why the docs vary so much on this one?

Cindy

Dr's vary on many things with the band from the pre-op diet, post-op, pills, how much to eat, and most everything it seems!! We have to listen to the Dr. we chose and then use our own common sense plus what works for us I guess. I think certain meds, such as anti-inflammatories which we should avoid if possible anyway, should not be allowed to sit in the pouch. My Dr. does not even prohibit 800 Ibuprofin, but I seldom take it due to all the other professional views I've read about it not being good for the band. At any rate, lots of Water should probably be taken with pills to be sure they go through as quickly as possible. If I had to crush pills and take them on a spoon with water or yogurt, I would probably vomit and never take any meds!!