Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

given up

I reluctantly post this, because a similar post I just read got some REALLY nasty insensitive feedback....

I was banded July 2009... and have lost only 25-30 lbs. in over a year. My weight stays between 262-268 and had been for a LONG time.

I have MAJOR problems with eating. I have not had a fill since March. At first, it seemed good. I could eat "normal" foods (for a bandster).

But-- every few days I can't seem to eat ANYTHING for days at a time-- not even soup/broth. Then I will be able to "coax" my band into letting me consume something and be good for a day or so-- then it seems I can eat almost anything I want! (so I can't be too tight!-- I went for a few weeks this summer with NO problems)

Most days I can't eat anything all day. I will puke up yogurt! Then in the evening, if I start with Soup, I am able to eat something.

And even though I can't eat-- IM NOT LOSING WEIGHT!!! Last spring I was too tight and vomited non-stop for a MONTH and only lost 10 lbs.-- after a month of pure suffering, tearing my esophogus and puking blood!

Just this week I was vomiting blood again! But I can't be too full because I have "good days" where I can eat almost anything I want!

Why is this happening? How can things change so drastically from one day to the next????

Have you spoken to your Dr? I would think they need to run some tests to see what is going on.

I have the exact same problems and have given up too. I gave up about last xmass and have spent these last 9 months trying to live with and work with these issues. I will tell you there is hope. I spent most of my time with the lapband on liquids only getting to eat solid foods two or three NIGHTS a week.

I did talk to many doctors and they have no clue as to what it is or why. My stoma lives in spasms. However, my regular doctor came up with something that has been a god send.

He has me using a steroid spray that I take now every morning and every night to reduce the swelling in my nasal passages. AND STEROIDS HAVE THE ADDED BENEFIT THAT THEY STOP SPASMS. It drips down the back of my nasal passages and the back of my throat and I can taste it as it goes down (mucous going down the back of my throat has never been so pleasant). It makes all the difference in the world and its nothing more than Flonase.

At first when I started taking it I would get sooo hungry so I would only take it at night and I tried to balance the swelling and spasms so I could still lose weight and feel the benefits the band is suppose to provide but the spasms and swelling were still to unpredictable to know if I could eat real food or not. And I was still not loosing weight. I think it was the lack of nutrition since all I ate was chicken noodle Soup with cheese in it.

Now I am able to eat 1 meal a day that is solid food. It makes dinner heaven and the scale has started moving again and I can go 2 weeks with out having a stuck episode. My period and heat affect it too along with many other things.

You need to get the bleeding under control. Just do liquids until the Flonase kicks in which could be up to two weeks. You need to make sure you don't have any permanent damage or a slip. SO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. Good luck and report back here. I'm sure you and I are not the only ones that have this problem. I just think that the others who have never experienced this think they are better than us so they attack us.

WE NEED TO STAND TOGETHER TO HELP THOSE THAT HAVE THIS PROBLEM!!!!!

Edited by itschoice

First of all, you haven't really given up or you wouldn't be reaching out for help :) Second, I am in a similiar situation. When I eat solids, it hurts. Sometimes I can go a few weeks eating anything, then it starts hurting and I can barely get down Soup. I tried telling my doctor but he just wanted to remove Fluid everytime I talked to him. As soon as he removed a tiny bit there was NO restriction and I gained weight. I am really not sure what to suggest as I am just as desperate. I find myself living on ice cream during those painful times, which doesn't help the weight loss.:thumbup: I just want you to know you are not alone. I think some people judge because they have had it a little smoother, however, we were all fat to begin with or none of us would have been banded, and we all know what it feels like to be judged, so I am surprised even the successful banders are so mean. :wub: Good luck

Calm down the eating. On what you call good days when you can eat all you want, don't. Stick to Protein first, then veggies. The band is only a tool, and its easy to forget and want it quick. Try and eat the same everyday. Chew it to death and no drinking with meals. But don't give up, remember you are doing this for you, we don't give up on others, shouldn't give up on you.

Calm down the eating. On what you call good days when you can eat all you want, don't. Stick to Protein first, then veggies. The band is only a tool, and its easy to forget and want it quick. Try and eat the same everyday. Chew it to death and no drinking with meals. But don't give up, remember you are doing this for you, we don't give up on others, shouldn't give up on you.

Thank you for the advice. Yes you would think it would be that easy but its not. I went almost a year without eating solids or only eating solids one or two times a week and while I'm calling them solids they really were mushies. Now that I can eat mushy-solids 5 or 6 nights a week being on liquids all day long is okay. It really becomes a quality of life issue. To not be able to eat veggies because if there is one piece of cellulose the size of course ground pepper that gets by you are in trouble is a difficult thing. But you need to keep trying and maybe at some point your stoma will calm down.

Have you had any testing done...Barium swallow to make sure the band hasn't slipped and is positioned correctly??

I would worry that the band has slipped...? I thought I had read somewhere that those types of problems could be an indicator?

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles and I hope and pray that you find some relief soon. Hang in there!

Kim

I know exactly what you're going through. I was so excited to begin my journey with lab band but have had nothing but complications. I am now starting to believe that my band may have slipped. I had to have a revision because my tubing was kinked before. I have lost 40 lbs all together. It has been an excrutiating ride from having day where you can eat whatever you want to not being able to eat for days. Right now I am on day 7 for not having anything in my stomach but apple juice, Water, and tums. I can't stand this whole process anymore. I thought that getting the band was a milion times better than bypass but I think I made a mistake. If you have any questions let me know, I am sure that I have been through it as well.

Thank you everyone for your input. I have had these problems since day one and the only structural issues I think it could be is the original placement of the band. In reality, I really think it is the spasm in my stoma. I just think my stoma is very sensitive and hates being bound up. I think thats why the nasal spray works so well and allows me so much relief.

As for fills the last few times I went for fills most if not all of the last fill had been lost. The doctor had had a very hard time finding my port that I think he put a hole in the tube. I could feel the restriction going away and nothing staying between fills and it was a fast change in restriction. A very different feeling than you have when you swell up after a fill and the swelling then goes down. So I stopped having fills in January 2010. I feel no restriction and have none of the positive benefits associated from the band like less hunger. However, the way I have to eat to survive seems to have balanced that out and I'm not so hungry.

I have not had any tests done but at some point I will. I was a self pay and am here almost 2 years later still paying the bill. I have been talking to my regular doctor and he knows I have had problems with this. He says that if I have an emergency type problem Kaiser will cover me to get the band out. He said he may send me for more test to check on things but wanted to see if some of the issues resolved themselves over time.

I only have about 36 more pounds to loose to get me to a BMI of 24ish. Even if I only loose half that weight wise I'm in a much better place. I'm a very loose size 16 and could probably fit in a 14 but I hate tight pants and it makes my port hurt (Just another problem I have). So if I lose 15ish more I should be a size 12 and then when I am all paid off I need to chose if I want to switch or something else and hope that I don't hurt myself more than I have, get it removed and give up, or just keep it and try to make the best out of a bad situation. Its a quality of life issue and that is what is going to be the deciding factor.