Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old habits.....creeping back in

Hi All....I want to explain my situation and see if this is normal. I was banded 6-16. First fill 7-22, second 8-26. I really don't fill full ever and I think I'm eating way too much food at a time. If I am full, wouldn't I feel it? I'm worried that I am stretching my pouch but I have never felt sick, vomited or even felt full. I am losing weight b/c I exercise regularly and I have alot of sheer will power, but I thought this would be different and I would stop eating b/c I couldn't eat anymore or I would throw up. My band can hold 11cc and I have had 3cc so far. Do I need another fill? Thanks all who have any words of wisdom for me!

I was banded 6/14 and have had one fill since then. I currently have 4cc in a 10cc band. I too do not feel any restriction. I have lost weight but it really hasn't had anything to do with the band. I mentioned at my last weigh-in that I want another fill and the nurse was apprehensive since I lost 10# in one month, but it would be nice to have the band as an aide instead of working with just will power. I didn't go thru all of this for nothing! I think you (and I) need another fill. I go 9/15 for another weigh-in, at which time I will insist on a fill!

Good luck and it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem!

I was banded on July 19th. I had my 1st fill on Aug 31st. Dr put in 4.5cc during surgery & a little over 1.5cc on Aug 31st. Soooo total a little over 6cc in a 10cc band. I have no restriction. I have lost total 20lbs in 7 wks but 10 was from 1st wk of liquids. Im on pure will power and struggle everyday to make the right choices. I feel hungry all the time but take it day by day & make healthy food choices & exercise regularly. I dont now how much will power I have left. I have been craving cake, icecream...all the bad stuff but so far have not given in. My next fill is Sept 30th & sooooo hoping to get some sort or restriction. Wishing all of you luck. It does sound like you both need another fill.

This really stinks!!! Sounds like we are all in the same boat! We need a fill!

One of the members of my presurgery class got to much in his first or second fill and ended up having to go to the hospital by ambulance (he was to sick to drive) and had an emergency unfill. Personally I would rather get smaller fills and have to use will power than face that sort of response to an over fill.

I have not yet had a fit (26 days post op). Personally I am looking at the band as a tool to help me maintain loss. I have always been able to loose my problem was regaining when I stopped being so diligent regarding calorie counting.

It's frustrating to have the band, but it isn't working. Fills will provide restriction eventually, hang in there! It took me 3 fills to feel any restriction.

Until you have restriction I suggest you eat the right foods (high protien, low carb, low fat) even if your portions are bigger then they will be when you have restriction. Good luck!

Let's keep each other posted & see how we do with our next fills. We each have different reasons for choosing the Lap Band. Some could lose the weight but not keep it off while others struggled wth food choices on a daily basis & need the restriction factor to minimize intake altogether. So no matter your starting point on this journey we are on the same road now & want to cross the same finish line. Sometimes just posting my struggles on this forum & reading the feedback gives me the motivation & kick starts my will power into full speed. I dont feel alone here. Looking forward to hearing from all of you during both the struggle & victory's.

My doc told me that 4ccs just fills the band - doesn't even tighten it yet, if you know what I mean. The difference between 4 and 5 for me was AWE INSPIRING. I had 6 and they had to back out one. At 4, I had no restriction - so we all have our spot - just practice the habits they want us to and you will get there.

To Everyone On This Thread: I am right there with you! I am a hungry, hungry hippo these days and any weight I've lost has been on my own. The nice "placebo" effect of the band has worn off for me and I am just plain hungry. I've gone from thinking that I can lose more weight on my own (before restriction) to being happy if I am maintaining. I was out of town all weekend and had to eat out for a few days in a row. Didn't eat as much (about half what I used to) but still gained a few pounds due the salt in the restaurant foods:redface:. I have fill #2 on Monday, I can't wait! I do think I have some restriction as I can feel food actually going through the band now, and I have gotten stuck 2x. I know it was eating too fast that caused it, however, it was not as bad as some claim it to be. It was a little uncomfortable (tight feeling) and then subsided within a few minutes (happened to be drinking Decaf coffee just prior to episode and the warm Fluid helped work it out, I think). I am trying to take some pressure off myself and maintain the 30 pounds I've lost. I am exercising regularly and feel a lot better. I know more good things are to come - just have to get to restriction. My doc only put 2 ccs in at my first fill, so I'm not optimistic for a big one this time either. Oh well, it's a process, right? Hang in there everyone!:thumbup:

someone mentioned they think their pouch is stretched. My doctor said it takes a long time to stretch your pouch and you will know because you have no restriction at all. What I find interesting about this whole thing is that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what I can eat one day and what I can't the next. One day I can eat rice, the next I can't. I got banded on May 14th and have had two fills, the first fill was two cc's and then another two six weeks later. My weight loss has been nonexistent for awhile. I started at 186 at the doctor's office the first time I saw him, lost about 8 before surgery and am at 161 now but I've been stuck here for at least six weeks or so. My cravings are less than before, I can eat only about a third of what I used to eat. I'm still glad I did the band even though I haven't lost all that much. I realize I don't have as much to lose as others might. I've become expert at throwing up the stuck food. It's weird, I can eat pizza no problem but a tortilla,no. The only thing I can conclude is that we all react differently to having the band. My brother had it done a year ago and has never had a fill and has lost 60 pounds. You may have "fixed your stomach" but you still have to work on your head.

Hey guys! I totally understand the frustration. I was banded May 13 had my first fill July8 and my second fill August 12. It wasn't till my second fill that I started to feel restriction. Everyone is different with how many fills it takes to feel restriction. I am down 37 pounds so far and I think alot of it is from willpower and exercise. The band is only a tool. I knew that getting the surgery, but didn't realize just how true that is. Hang in there everyone!!!

Another thing to consider is what we percieved as being "full" before the band, is different then how it should be. Listen to your body's silent signals when eating. Mine is a deep breath, like a sigh. It took me a while to figure that out. And restriction can be tricky. I had too much, and I had to have a complete unfill last week. The last time I had a fill was Feb 3rd, but I have a tendancy to get tighter as I lose. So where I had no restriction with 3cc's 3 months out, with 0cc's 10 months out I have some restriction. You wil get through this time, I swear. Lol. If it helps, Gladware makes perfect sized containers for portioning out stuff, especially if you take your lunch to work. They have 1/2c containers that come in an 8 pack I think. They are awesome for lunches, or to put snack in to keep handy, like cut up fruit.< /p>

Rocketray, I agree with your brother, I was banded 12/20/08 and have lost 90 pds and have been to goal for 9 months. I still do sometimes get head hunger and that is something I will have to work on and handle forever. Even though I am maintaining, I tend to go up and down 2 pds when eating out on weekends so back to basics on Mondays. I have never had a fill and am comfortable with my band and am forever greatful for this tool. It has been a lifetime of gaining and losing the same 90 pds that I need to keep in the past and look forward to the future with my tool. Patience is what we need when doing the band rules, I had a few months with no loss and then it started up again. Yes I will never figure out why some days I can eat something and then another day I can't. You will all succeed, it takes patience and time.