Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with hair loss.

I started feeling like I was losing more hair than normal. Like when I take it out of a ponytail or when i Shampoo. Then this morning my husband noticed that there was a lot of hair left on my pillow. I take a multi and I haven't been having a shake per day. I plan to start with the protien shakes daily again and start Biotin supplements. Any other suggestions? TIA.

I started feeling like I was losing more hair than normal. Like when I take it out of a ponytail or when i Shampoo. Then this morning my husband noticed that there was a lot of hair left on my pillow. I take a multi and I haven't been having a shake per day. I plan to start with the protien shakes daily again and start Biotin supplements. Any other suggestions? TIA.

My hairdresser(who is aware of my upcoming surgery, gsve ma a few tips) Keep your hair out of a ponytail if possible. Gently wash your hair. Use a good hair product such as Lanza for color treated hair,sold in better salons, It is easy on your hair. Increase your Protein to about 90gm per day. Biotin or a blend of Biotin and other B Vitamins is best. Jello...just a few tidbits I hope they help.

My PA also told me to try some GNC Vitamins. I don't have the bottle right in front of me but it is something like Skin, hair and Nails. They have a horrible smell, but she said that they work really well.

Hmmm... I tend to wear a ponytail alot. I work as a nurse and just couldn't imagine not having it up, but I do use a scrunchy not a rubber band type of holder. I also don't Shampoo my hair everyday, I'll rinse out any product with Water and then use conditioner. But I'll look into the shampoo. Anyone try the Keratin treatments? I wonder if that helps.

I have been using Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner for the last 6 weeks. I have noticed that the falling out has really slowed down. I am not sure if it is due to the shampoo, or the natural end to my hair thinning. Either way I am pleased!

Good luck to you!

Is that sold at regular stores?

I did all of the recommended things--getting enough Protein, drinking enough Fluid, taking Biotin and zinc supplements (and a bariatric multivitamin), using Nioxin, etc.

I did lose enough hair that I got quite nervous that, if I lost more, the whole universe would notice---despite the efforts I made to prevent the loss.

Fortunately, the loss really tapered off. It peaked during months 4-6, and now it seems to be staying put.

I suspect that all the things I did to prevent loss just sort of prevented me from going nuts---it made me feel like I was doing something. In reality, the Hair growth cycle is interrupted by traumas such as surgery---but it gets back in sync with time.

Will it grow back or will I only stop losing it? I'm about 4 months post op now. I've been making sure I get a decent amount of Protein everyday. At least 60g but usually more than 70g. My hair has always been very full and thick so this is traumatic for me. I don't mean tobe over-reacting but this is just bad that my husband has noticed (not on my just thatI leave hair everywhere I go).

Mel Mel - go to your local Sally Beauty Supply and they will help you with the right type of shampoo/conditioner/leave-in. I'm right at 10 months out and I've lost 70 pounds - but really no Hair loss that I can remember. But - I was afraid of losing my hair and I've always made sure I got my Protein in first - daily. Maybe BetsyB is right and it's just something that happens to some people.........Good Luck.

Is that sold at regular stores?

You can get it at any beauty salon. I bought the small bottles there just to try them.....very expensive. I have since started ordering the liters online from Amazon...MUCH CHEAPER!

On their website there is a guide to tell you which Nioxin system you should need based upon your hair strand thickness, color treatment, and amount of thinning.

Again, good luck to us all that are dealing with hair loss!

Checkin in:

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am definitely putting your suggestions to use.

I went into the GNC and talked to the shop keeper. She seemed informed with people who had surgery. All I asked was for my Isopure ready to drink and Biotin. She asked me about the multi I take and explained that I need something that is more easily assorbed by the body because of the decreased intake of nutrients.

Of course she mentioned to increase my Protein intake. I told her I knew I like these drinks but she also recommended a few other brands. Maybe I'll try others in the future but I need to limit my expenses. It seems like the money I save in food I'm spending in supplements.

So I'm also wondering if this has anything to do with other symptoms I've had and just haven't put the pieces together. My weightloss plateaud and I've been having a hard time getting it going again. Plus I'm being treated for anxiety and depression and I don't feel like I used to. Metally, emotionally, and physically I just have not been feeling well and I'm hoping that maybe it has to do with inadequate nutrition. This way, at least I know how to fix it.

Thank you again.

And I hope everyone the best of luck on their journeys.

It really depends why its falling out, and like Betsy said, its generally just a disruption of the hair growth cycle, due to the shock to the system of surgery and possiby hormonal reasons as well due to fast weight loss.

I didnt lose hair, but over the course of a year, the condition of my hair (which has always been coloured and had been chemically straightened with that supposedly non damaging bio ionic system) deteriorated and it was breaking off (which my delicate hair does all the time anyway), so I thought I was losing it but it wasnt coming out from the follicle. It got better as it grew back in, I cut it much shorter too, but not really short.

If its falling out at the follicle, it could simply be normal fall but not a lot of regrowth, which will right itself fairly quickly and probably be minor.

The really bad loss is when the follicle dies as in chemotherapy and you can be bald in days. I've never heard anyone on here report that.

Its like loose skin, you feel better putting stuff on it but in reality if your generally fairly well nourished as most of us really are, nothing you put on it or take in Vitamin form is really going to make much difference.

Loose skin is due to decreased elasticity of skin, age and rapid weight loss. That's not really relevant to this topic. The skin is still there, my hair however is not, well, it's falling out.

As a nurse, I have never heard of hair falling out because of surgery. If anything maybe the healing process of the wounds interupts Hair growth by using the bodies nutrients, in this case it would be important to supplement and increase Protein intake. Why else would the doctors have you take Vitamins and increase Protein intake? It takes a full year for a wound to completely heal.

Unfortunately my hair is falling our from the follicle. And all over. Not only has my husband noticed it but my parents just mentioned that when I was visiting them in August, they are still finding my hair in the guest bath.

Thank you for your response, I hope my hair does grow back.

Edited by Mel Mel

Mel Mel - just keep doing what you are doing......don't go over board on supplements.....remember GNC is in the business to make money. I personally can tolerate Myoplex Lite - it's the cheapest at Walmart. I drink one every morning - I don't love it, but I don't hate it......I tolerate it! LOL

Your depression/anxiety meds can cause you to not lose weight, also needing a fill can cause you to not lose weight. I don't know how much more weight you have to lose, but mine has slowed down now that I'm down to my final 40 pounds.

Hang in there and don't let this become another factor in your anxiety! It will get better - just always eat Protein first - even if it means no room for anything else.

Nioxin really slowed my hair loss down. Not sure if my hair grew back because no one could notice it, but I did. I got an updated cut of my normal style with my bangs cut a little further back, and still no one notices. However, my hair is different now than before surgery. The new growth is so much healther and shinier! But still slightly thinner. Thank god for back combing and root lifter sprays.

I have never had Hair loss with any of my other surgeries, so I believe the hair loss is more to do with our diet change than anything. If our bodies need to detox from all the bad foods we put into, doesnt it make sense our hair would react to all these good healthy things we eat by going into shock? lol Personally, I have lost hair on every part of my body, not just my head.