Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ThirstY? Like really, really thirsty?

This may be the stupidest ever question... I get REALLY thirsty at times... usually if I wake up in middle of the night and it's almost a painful, guttural NEED to drink a ton of Water... When I get this thirst, I usually down 1 1/2 bottles of cold Water.< /p>

My concern is that I will wake with this thirst and a mere sip every 5 minutes won't quench it...

Anyone else get super thirsty before the band? Does it continue after? How do you deal?

Everything else I'm OK with-- this is literally the only (stupid) concern I have.

You can drink normally once you are banded.Its generally only the first couple of days after surgery that you need to be really slow and careful.

You may not be gulping quite so fast but you can certainly drink fast enough to quench your thirst. Certainly not a sip every 5 minutes.

You can drink normally once you are banded.Its generally only the first couple of days after surgery that you need to be really slow and careful.

You may not be gulping quite so fast but you can certainly drink fast enough to quench your thirst. Certainly not a sip every 5 minutes.

good to hear... just worried because the surgeon told us the pouch is only once ounce, and drinking too much, too fast can stretch it out... which I don't want to do... will have to re-check this one.

HI,

Sorry to hear you are so thirsty. Did you check your blood sugar? I am diabetic, and when I thirst like that, my sugar is high, also the urge to urinate a lot is present.

I was wondering about that too; have you had your glucose levels checked? That is a classic symptom. Please get checked soon, as you need to keep your sugar in control. Please.

Like Elcee said, it is only right after surgery that you need to sip sip sip.

I thought of the blood sugar, too. But I'd hope you've had that checked during your pre-op.

After you are healed, with the exception of during meals, you can drink normally. Unless your band is extremely tight, you'll be able to swallow normal drinks of Water.

If you do so right after you've eaten, everything is likely to come back up.

The band is like a funnel. When you add liquids, they go through quite rapidly. I saw images from my upper GI last week. It was so cool. But the barium when straight down through my pouch into the lower stomach where it pooled. I could see my band and the restriction it formed. It truly did look like a funnel.

The nurse practitioner said that is just what it is supposed to do with liquid, and that I have restriction. I was in to get a small fill.

Thanks for the concern...

I have had my blood panels, and I'm not diabetic... I guess it's just a craving or dehydration or something.

And I will ask again about the sipping thing, but I cleary recall them saying you have to drink very slowly always, because like a funnel, if you pour too fast it will "overflow" which could mean stretching or upchuck.

Sticking with the funnel analogy.

Yes if you tip a litre bottle of Water extremely rapidly into a funnel it may overflow. If there is a blockage in the funnel then it will definitely overflow which is why you shouldn't eat and drink at the same time. But if you tip the bottle slightly and pour steadily into the funnel it will pass through easily.

You certainly don't pour the Water into the funnel one drop every 5 minutes.

If you ever get to the stage where you can't drink normally then your band is overtight and you need an unfill.

I was so thirsty all the time before the band . Up all night Drinking and peeing. Now i wake up ....NEVER. Im surprised and very happy to say the least.

Always go with that YOUR surgeon says over what we say, of course. But even with taking small drinks of Water, I believe you will be able to quench your thirst.

Your surgeon might not want you chugging the Water down and putting a quart in your pouch in 30 seconds. But sticking with the funnel theory, you can add liquid at a fairly constant rate and not have it overflow.

Talk with you surgeon about quantity, as in "can I consume 4 oz of luquid in a 2 minute period?" Maybe that will give you a better feeling as to how much is your surgeon's idea of too much.

It sometimes comes down to communication and language. My surgeon sees "snacks" as brainless eating. I see "snacks" as anything eaten between meals. When we spoke in depth about the word, I found out he is OK with me eating between meals, as long is it is planned and heathful.

Best wishes to you!