Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2010 Bandsters!!

hi all need to know how you do the ticker help please

hmmm....let's try that again...

click on mine below, and you should be able to navigate to set up your own ticker...

weight.png

Kerry :wink2:

Thanks for the positive thoughts my way, They really helped! I had surgery on friday and it went well:thumbup: Im having some bad gas pains but I hear thats to be expected:cursing:

I feel fine and I shouldnt have worried half as much as I did. Good luck to everyone who has an up and coming surgery! How are you doing Grams?

Glad to hear surgery went well. Walking helps the gas pains. I'm spinning my wheels here feeling better but with no fill having trouble maintaining diet (which is why I had the LAP-BAND®) and having some real down moods and can't get exercising. 3 more weeks until my first fill. Can't wait to get my ticker moving again.

Glad to hear surgery went well. Walking helps the gas pains. I'm spinning my wheels here feeling better but with no fill having trouble maintaining diet (which is why I had the LAP-BAND®®) and having some real down moods and can't get exercising. 3 more weeks until my first fill. Can't wait to get my ticker moving again.

Hello! I totally understand about trying to stay on the diet. I won't have my first fill until 12/1! The upcoming holidays are messing up their scheduling. The nurse said that it was normal to go four to six weeks before a fill. Maybe for her but I feel like I need one before then. Oh, well, I can't do anything about it but fume.

I can't walk either. I twisted my knee and then ran into something in the middle of the night and really messed it up. Thankfully my orthopedic doctor's nurse is working me in tomorrow. If it's not one thing, it's another. But, it could be worse.

Take care ad let me hear from you.

Blessings,

Pat:smile2:

I was banded on 27 October br Dr Christiaan De Bryune at the AZ Jan Portaels hospital in Vilvoorde, Belgium.*

On the same evening I was able to get out of bed and walk the corridor three times which I heard alleviates gas pain.*

I must say that I refused pain medication when offered it after the operation as I really did not feel in pain.*

The next morning I did ask for pain relief because I knew the drain was to be removed and I was scared of what that would be like but the drain removal happened before the meds came. And honest that didn't hurt.*

I still accepted the pain relief because I was pretty certain pain would kick in at some time.*

I was then taken for an X-ray and asked to take three big sips of liquid so they could get a picture of the band position and liquid going through it. Again painless. *I walked down for my X-ray.*

Doctor Chris then came to see me and told me everything went well. I was given a bag of medication, tablets in case I feel sick (I haven't needed them) tablets for pain (I took 2 night before travelling home and 1 in afternoon and 1 before bed 3 days post op). And injections to give myself in stomach to stop blood clot for five days - the needle is so fine it can't be felt. He also gives special socks like those used on flights to wear for about a week.*

A nurse came to see me in the hotel the night before I travelled home. I was given lots of information throughout this whole procedure and is great to refer to.*

Don't ever be afraid of using Dr Chris he is amazing. They have set up a direct service now called Belgium Surgery Services and the General Manager is Frederick Serneels.*

Good luck everyone who is thinking of having the procedure. *I know I'm lucky to not have much pain and that everyone is different. *

Hi Amazed

Agree with all what you have said about Dr Chris, although I had quite a bit of pain. On 7days post op and feeling better every day . x x x:rolleyes2:

Glad to hear surgery went well. Walking helps the gas pains. I'm spinning my wheels here feeling better but with no fill having trouble maintaining diet (which is why I had the LAP-BAND®®) and having some real down moods and can't get exercising. 3 more weeks until my first fill. Can't wait to get my ticker moving again.

feeling depressed seems to be the norm, I think its hormonal. Something about surgery throws things out of whack. You've already come a long way and its going to get better! Im already sick of the liquids and hungry:cursing: I've read that more Protein wards off hunger so I'll give it a try today. You're not alone in this:smile2:

Hello! I totally understand about trying to stay on the diet. I won't have my first fill until 12/1! The upcoming holidays are messing up their scheduling. The nurse said that it was normal to go four to six weeks before a fill. Maybe for her but I feel like I need one before then. Oh, well, I can't do anything about it but fume.

I can't walk either. I twisted my knee and then ran into something in the middle of the night and really messed it up. Thankfully my orthopedic doctor's nurse is working me in tomorrow. If it's not one thing, it's another. But, it could be worse.

Take care ad let me hear from you.

Blessings,

Pat:smile2:

I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. I can't imagine dealing with that on top of this. Here's hoping your Doctor can fix you up quick. My Doctor won't fill until 6 wks after surgery:sad: as he says you need to heal properly first. It's funny but you'd think I'd never been on a diet before I feel totally confused about what to eat. I see my nutritionist again a week before my fill (15th and 23rd) so hopefully that will help me re-focus. Thanks for keeping in touch, it helps to know I'm not alone.:)

feeling depressed seems to be the norm, I think its hormonal. Something about surgery throws things out of whack. You've already come a long way and its going to get better! Im already sick of the liquids and hungry:cursing: I've read that more Protein wards off hunger so I'll give it a try today. You're not alone in this:smile2:

I think you might be right about the hormones. Try cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs or omelettes. They go down easy and are more filling. So glad we're in this together:rolleyes2:

Just got home from overnight stay. Everything went well, not including the nausea from either the anesthesia or morphine, they didn't know which it was. Second anti-nausea worked. Walked so much, gas pains were minimal. Got up to use restroom 4 times between 530 pm and 530 am. Each time, did at least two laps around the wing.

Waiting for the tylenol/codeine to kick in, they took IV out at 10 am, got home at 2, hubby brought RX to store, just got back with them.

Few questions for those already banded:

I do have to cough sometimes, is there anything I can do to make it easier besides pressing the pillow on my stomach?

How do I know if the band is full when I am drinking Water, eating ice pops, protien, etc? I did feel sick for a minute, and felt like I needed to burp, but nothing happened, I walked it off, and put the rest of the popsicle back in the freezer.

you sound just like me-went well except for the nausea. they sent me home with some medicine for that and am feeling good. One other BAD think was that my bladder wouldnt empty so they had to EMPTY it for my-HOW HORRIBLE IS THAT at 3am?????? home resting now going back to work tomorrow. no hunger at all-:)

Hi!

I'm going through Orange Coast Memorial's Center for Obesity (aka Peter Leport's Smart Dimensions group). My surgeon is Dr. Francis.

Hi Alisomniac!

I am a patient of Dr. Chin in the same office and just got banded on October 27! Are you going to any of the support groups? I am going to the one this Thursday at Fountain Valley Hospital! Maybe we will see each other in the office!

Doug

I was banded October 29th and have my first post-op appointment on November 12. I have no idea how much weight (if any) I have lost as I do not own a scale nor do I intend to buy one. Natural fluctuation of weight can be very discouraging so I would rather just be weighed by my doctor at appointments. I have had a few people already tell me I look like I am losing weight which is wonderful because they don't know I was banded. I have kept that information to myself as I feel somewhat ashamed that I had to be "surgically altered" to lose weight. I make this statement as no relfection on anyone but myself, but I wonder if anyone else is ashamed as well. At the end of the day I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin and I don't want people making comments about how getting banded is cheating. I didn't realize until I started researching it that there was MORE work to be done and MORE restrictions in our diets with lap band than with just dieting. I hardly think it's cheating but I am concerned about people being judgemental. Does anyone feel the same way?:)

I feel the same way. I don't think the band is the easy way out though. Unless we make changes to our eating and exercise habits, the band will not work. So I look at the band as just a tool. THe hard part is up to me.

I was banded October 29th and have my first post-op appointment on November 12. I have no idea how much weight (if any) I have lost as I do not own a scale nor do I intend to buy one. Natural fluctuation of weight can be very discouraging so I would rather just be weighed by my doctor at appointments. I have had a few people already tell me I look like I am losing weight which is wonderful because they don't know I was banded. I have kept that information to myself as I feel somewhat ashamed that I had to be "surgically altered" to lose weight. I make this statement as no relfection on anyone but myself, but I wonder if anyone else is ashamed as well. At the end of the day I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin and I don't want people making comments about how getting banded is cheating. I didn't realize until I started researching it that there was MORE work to be done and MORE restrictions in our diets with LAP-BAND® than with just dieting. I hardly think it's cheating but I am concerned about people being judgemental. Does anyone feel the same way?:)

Texas Dream -

Just wanted to say hold your head up - you wanted a clean slate to work with and be healthy. You made a huge decision - and i think you should be proud. I am happy with what i did for lapband - I have to make it work...

I was banded October 29th and have my first post-op appointment on November 12. I have no idea how much weight (if any) I have lost as I do not own a scale nor do I intend to buy one. Natural fluctuation of weight can be very discouraging so I would rather just be weighed by my doctor at appointments. I have had a few people already tell me I look like I am losing weight which is wonderful because they don't know I was banded. I have kept that information to myself as I feel somewhat ashamed that I had to be "surgically altered" to lose weight. I make this statement as no relfection on anyone but myself, but I wonder if anyone else is ashamed as well. At the end of the day I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin and I don't want people making comments about how getting banded is cheating. I didn't realize until I started researching it that there was MORE work to be done and MORE restrictions in our diets with LAP-BAND® than with just dieting. I hardly think it's cheating but I am concerned about people being judgemental. Does anyone feel the same way?:w00t:

Congratulations on being banded!:crying: Don't worry about what people think, or say. We all know that if we could have lost the weight on our own, we would have. If someone mentions about you have lost weight, just tell them, "thank you. I'm trying". :)

Keep us informed on your weight loss. We're all in this together.

Blessings,

PitPat:smile2: