Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long are you DRY?

I feel like I'm dehydrating, my mouth is so dry and I know my breath is suffering, or should I say the people around me are suffering from my breath.

My Dr. recommends no liquids an hour before you eat, of course none while you eat, and none 2-hours after. So that is a total of 3.5 hours. Three meals a-day comes to 10.5 hours with no liquid, I sleep for 8 hours, so 18.5 hours leaves me 5.5 hours in the day. I don't know about you but I have to stop an hour or so before bed time or I will be up peeing. So what I'm getting at is I'M THIRSTY, I'm grumpy, I'm not losing weight, and I'm making the people around me miserable.

I'll see my nutritionist next week when I get my first fill and I will talk to her about this but I was wondering what did your doctor tell you about being dry?

WOW! That's a lot of no drinking time! I don't know how you'd get it all in either. I'm not going to complain (for at least today, lol) about not drinking half an hour before or an hour after eating! I did feel dry the first 4 or 5 days after surgery, but once the initial swelling went down and I could just drink I was OK. I guess if I were you I'd just drink whole glasses at a time when I could... no room for just sipping!

I was wondering the same thing. My surgery was August 30 and I'm still feeling quite dry.

My requirements are only no Water 30 minutes before or after eating. Two hours seems to be a long time. Maybe get yourself on a schedule and try to stick to it if you want to stick to your doctor's orders?

It seems hard to wait that long, maybe your nutritionist can explain why 2 hours is needed? I've never heard of a wait that long, ever.

Mine says 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. Then to take a glass of ice and sip on the Water that is melted during the meal if I need something to drink.

My doctor also says 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. 2 hours is way too long!!

My doc says drink up to 5 mins before eating and nothing for an hour after. Amazing how docs can be so different. I do find that if I drink just before I eat I am unable to eat much and therefore will not get enough nutrition. So, even though I can drink up to 5 mins., I don't because it is not the best thing for me. I usually give it at least 30 mins.

I usually quit drinking something about 15 minutes before I eat and wait an hour to drink after eating. Suits me fine. If I'm not going to have an afternoon snack I may wait 90 minutes after eating just to keep my stomach a little fuller longer. Your doc's recommendations seem a little out of the ordinary and difficult to maintain.

You need to get enough Fluid in. 64 ounces recommended. It also helps with weight loss and can help you to not feel hungry. I quit drinking about 30 minutes before bedtime now, but when I was having reflux issues I would have to quit at least an hour to 90 minutes before bed.

I would think it's more important for you to get adequate Fluid intake than adhere to your doc's orders. Staying hydrated will help to keep your band from getting tight due to dehydration.

omg I would die if I had to wait 2 hours after eating. I have a hard enough time drinking enough Water even waiting 30 minutes after eating.

I am always thirsty! Most docs say wait 30 minutes. I have never heard 2 hours

My doc publishes and teaches 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. Privately, the nut told me that the after is the most important part. Assuming you are "empty" prior to eating a meal, she said drinking prior to eating was ok as long as liquid was freely flowing through the band. Just make sure to wait at least 30 after eating. I'm a little confused about that part too. If you only wait 30 mins. after eating, doesn't the liquid just wash all the food through? How are you supposed to stay full for 3-4 hours??? I don't have restriction yet, so I do try and practice the drinking rules, however, EVERYTHING travels right through my pouch so it's not critical for me yet :) I do know that 2 hours would be soooo hard. I am thirsty all the time and am constantly sipping on iced green tea or Water. I have really ramped up my exercise and I think it makes me all the more thirsty!