Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have your opinions about what the doctor said

Hi, my name is Jeff and I am 22 years old. I used to be thin while in high school but I got injured playing sports and stopped but kept eating. I went to a seminar today near my home and met with a doctor about getting the LAP-BAND® done. The doctor said how the LAP-BAND® is mainly for people who eat a lot of food but doesn't work on people that eat a lot of soft calories like soda, milk shakes soft breads etc. So I got really happy because I felt he was describing me. Then he goes on to say that people who are at my weight and BMI have a very low success rate. That I am better of getting the bypass. That with the LAP-BAND® I will only lose 100 or so pounds and that I wouldn't be happy. I have another apt with another doctor on Thursday but I would like to hear it from people that have gone through this. Thanks a lot

I weight 430 lbs and a BMI of 62

Edited by flaco88

I'm meat and potatoes myself. Just way too much of them. I cut down my portions and lost 95 pounds in 5 months leading up to surgery. In the past 6 months I have dropped another 56.

If you stay away from drinking your calories and eating junk food, you can lose 200 pounds easily. The lapband can definitely help. Speak to another surgeon. Consultations are usually free and it is best to shop around.

Hi, my name is Jeff and I am 22 years old. I used to be thin while in high school but I got injured playing sports and stopped but kept eating. I went to a seminar today near my home and met with a doctor about getting the LAP-BAND®® done. The doctor said how the LAP-BAND®® is mainly for people who eat a lot of food but doesn't work on people that eat a lot of soft calories like soda, milk shakes soft breads etc. So I got really happy because I felt he was describing me. Then he goes on to say that people who are at my weight and BMI have a very low success rate. That I am better of getting the bypass. That with the LAP-BAND®® I will only lose 100 or so pounds and that I wouldn't be happy. I have another apt with another doctor on Thursday but I would like to hear it from people that have gone through this. Thanks a lot

Hi Jeff - Be sure you read around the forum because there are lots o people that have lost enough even being over 400 lbs. I agree that you need another doctor -- does the doc you saw do both surgeries? If so, he makes more money doing the bypass. I don't have a clue if that's his motivation but I would definitely want to know before I went to GBP at his suggestion. Best of luck to you. I have recently started -- 3 weeks until my banding -- and I'm sooo convinced it's the right move for me. It took me about a month to really believe it can work for me since I've never successfully dieted, but now I know it can for me -- and for you if you set your mind to it. (It won't be easy, but it will be worth it, I'm sure!)

Debbie

Jeff,

I'm glad to hear that you're seeing another doc. There is an old-school mentality that thinks that anyone with a BMI over 50 needs a bypass. I truly believe that you can be successful with either surgery, but you need to find what works for you. Since this is "Lap Band Talk", you'll get more pro-band advice, but it comes from experience. I have no doubt that you could lose 200+ lbs with a band, but you will have to eat right and workout. The big negatives for you (from my point of view) are:

1. Much more difficult surgery

2. Malnutrition from the malabsorption aspect of the bypass

3. Permanence. The band can be removed or adjusted, if needed. The bypass is forever.

Ask your doctor, how many of his bypass patients experience a weight gain several years after their loss. I don't know the stats, but this has happened to 2 of my friends. They both have regained about 50% of their original loss. I have another friend who has never had that problem and thinks her bypass is the best thing she ever did.

Good luck on your decision.

Cindy

Hi i will start off by saying I was 497lbs and am down 203 lbs :blushing: in 19months. I went in to weigh in and saw one of the doctors who didnt even req me well when he was told who i was he started to jump up and down and was all happy and watery eyed. He said i made his work so worth what he does, he also said he was gonna go back to the other doc's that he consulted w/prior to my banding who told him it would not work and tell them to KISS his A$$ lol. So i would not listen its posable and i am proof and i have proven so many wrong :couch2: Good Luck to ya hunn

my surgeon and his team are definitely pro-bypass in almost all cases. i was only interested in the lapband and just went ahead with it. having said that, my surgeon and his team have been fantastic.

I got the same info from my doctors. They do GBP, LapBand and the Sleeve.

Luke

I say BS. I have lost 200 pounds with the lap band. Started at almost the same BMI as you. It can be done. Your doctor is right that you have to stay away from liquid calories.

The thing about the lap band vs. bypass is that you do have to manage the band in order for it to work, whereas once you have the bypass surgery that's it. I like the adjustability of the band. But I think there is an assumption on the part of some (but not all) doctors that anyone who is morbidly obese, who has 200+ pounds to lose, cannot possibly be capable of actively managing their band, and therefore must have the more idiot-proof bypass surgery. And to that, I say: BS! I'm proof that you can lose 200 or more pounds from the lap band. As long as you are willing to actively manage the band and follow the eating rules, it is a wonderful tool and has given me my life back.

Kathy

I HATE that doctors pull that BS about not being able to lose a lot of weight with the band.

I had a doctor tell me that............got rid of him and went to only that solely does lapband.

I wish they would stop telling people that! If you are committed to the process, you can totally do this with a lapband!

Hi Jeff,

Let me first say I'm sorry about your injury. You don't mention the severity of it, but I hope it's not so severe to keep you from mild exercise such as walking.

I started out at almost 400 and have lost at least 150 lbs in 19 months.. and I think it's more like 167. Will find out for sure early next month when I go in for my next check.

The bypass (RNY) is one way to address the weight issue, and it was suggested to me by more than one doctor, but it was never presented as the only way. I was afraid of the malabsorption because of other health issues. The RNY IS reversible, but it's a very difficult surgery.

The band does take work. It's not a walk in the park, but very doable. You must make good food choices, walk away from the table when you're finished with your portion and exercise (if possible). I do know a few banders.. online and in person, who are very limited in their ability to exercise. They are still losing weight, but it's slower for them.

Keep investigating and asking questions. Research, research, research. This is wonderful that you are looking into this at your age. You will really extend your life.

The weight loss center kept trying to push RnY on me when I was set on gastric banding. Finally my surgeon said "I will only do what the PATIENT wants" and I think the weight loss center feels more patients fail at banding than gastric so they want their stats to look good.

I think some doctors think that you get to that weight because of the lack of control and worry that you will not be able to make the commitment. I'm sure hoping they are wrong! I'm down 71 pounds and have 180 to go. Good luck to you. It is the best thing I've ever done. I think you just have to dedicate yourself to really changing the things you eat and the way you think about food.< /p>