Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know when you're full?

Hi friends,

I'm the one who started the thread so I felt I should chime back in because I still have tons of questions. My problem is that I don't feel any uncomfortable feeling at all. I don't have watery eyes, drippage in the nose, or a pain under my breast bone. I have none of that so it's hard for me to know when to stop. I've so far limited myself to 4 oz of any Protein I'm eating. Mostly chicken.

Also, I've never had a problem burping. Every time I'm on here I hear people say how painful it is to burp. I was able to burp straight out of the operation room. I know I haven't had my first fill so that's why I'm wondering if all of my non-symptoms is because of not having it yet.

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to hear your responses. Oh, P.S, I ate some bread today, half a pizza and felt no pain. I thought bread, rice, and past were supposed to be a pain to eat.

Hi friends,

I'm the one who started the thread so I felt I should chime back in because I still have tons of questions. My problem is that I don't feel any uncomfortable feeling at all. I don't have watery eyes, drippage in the nose, or a pain under my breast bone. I have none of that so it's hard for me to know when to stop. I've so far limited myself to 4 oz of any Protein I'm eating. Mostly chicken.

Also, I've never had a problem burping. Every time I'm on here I hear people say how painful it is to burp. I was able to burp straight out of the operation room. I know I haven't had my first fill so that's why I'm wondering if all of my non-symptoms is because of not having it yet.

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to hear your responses. Oh, P.S, I ate some bread today, half a pizza and felt no pain. I thought bread, rice, and past were supposed to be a pain to eat.

Since your not filled I am not surprised. Until my first fill I was able to still eat at buffets ( I would of course stop my self). I didnt get the full feeling either so I would stop after a cupish of food.

When I went for my first fill it turned out I had 4cc of caline put in my band and I didn't even know it. So even with 4cc in a 10cc lapband I was able to still eat a lot without feeling full.

Just try to control your portions and welcome to bandster hell

Since your not filled I am not surprised. Until my first fill I was able to still eat at buffets ( I would of course stop my self). I didnt get the full feeling either so I would stop after a cupish of food.

When I went for my first fill it turned out I had 4cc of caline put in my band and I didn't even know it. So even with 4cc in a 10cc LAP-BAND® I was able to still eat a lot without feeling full.

Just try to control your portions and welcome to bandster hell

Okay I will. So far I've been great with portions. I've stuck to one Protein shake in the morning, and two meals mostly made up of chicken and salad. I just want to know if things will change once I have that fill. I guess it might not since many say it takes them many fills to feel restriction.

I'm just glad I'm not feeling any eating pain like others I've read. First fill is next Wednesday.

P.S, I ate some bread today, half a pizza and felt no pain. I thought bread, rice, and past were supposed to be a pain to eat.

We are all different. I am at what I think is my sweet spot and still enjoy bread, rice and Pasta.

The bread is a little tougher if it is not toasted. I basically chew it and swirl it around in my mouth until it melts.

I can't do spaghetti or thinner pastas unless I cut them very small. They are too hard to chew otherwise and slide down (and sometimes back up) whole.

i ate normally post op (HA!!! if i d ever eaten normally i wouldn t need a band!!) it was my 3rd fill when i felt restriction kick in. i keep my band pretty tight and it took me about three years to realise that when i am full i get what i call 'bulls bum' sensation - i want to go to the loo! not in a runny tummy way, just that kinda heavy 'i will use the bathroom soon' way. to this day, i dont like that feeling - but i have come to valure it as i know while it is there i dont need to eat agin. Gross, but there it is.

We are all different. I am at what I think is my sweet spot and still enjoy bread, rice and Pasta.

The bread is a little tougher if it is not toasted. I basically chew it and swirl it around in my mouth until it melts.

I can't do spaghetti or thinner pastas unless I cut them very small. They are too hard to chew otherwise and slide down (and sometimes back up) whole.

Again, I am just like Bob here (WOW that is scary :)) in the fact that I am where I want to be and losing weight well, but am still able to do bread, rice, and Pasta. Not all the time, but you will get to know your band and your limits...and you'll try to break them too and sometimes you'll get away with it and sometimes you won't. I could eat absolutly anything and everything until the 1st fill. After that I could still eat anything, but got satisfied sooner. 3rd fill was the "magic charm" for me. Good luck and welcome to Bandster Hell!

Cannrun...I'm 5 days past surgery and when I drink, it is usually followed by a burp and then pain as it passes through I guess? I don't know how to get 48 oz of liquid in if this keeps up. Also, my port is sore and swollen, you?

I am 9 days post-op and until a day or two ago I had the same issues when drinking. I was taking small sips and could feel the liquid pass the banded area (I think). I believe it was because of swelling from the surgery. Today I am able to drink more normally and am not having as much of that sensation of the liquid squeaking past the band. I also started feeling hunger pains two days ago right before mealtime. I am on pureed foods at the moment and eat three meals a day - no Snacks. I supplement with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury if needed to get my Protein in. I feel like most of the swelling is gone other than the port site but today that area is a little swollen and tender. I've lost 16 pounds since August 21st when I started my three days of Clear liquids and I don't know if maybe the swelling in that area is just a little more prominent or if we're on to a different stage of healing. I don't think it is infected. I am not running a fever and the area is not red, but I am going to watch it carefully.

I'm at good restriction and the only thing I can't eat is soft bread (I'm okay with toasted) and/or dry meat.

I'm fine with rice and Pasta - it just all depends on the person and their band.

It has taken me a year to figure out when I am actually full without over-doing and I sometimes still screw up. I can hear each bite going through, (I am told I am the only one who can hear it, and I hope it is an honest assessment) and I don't take another bite until it goes through. I can also feel it go through. If it doesn't go through or if I start to burp, I stop. If I don't I will be seriously stuck. It varies so I have no way of knowing when it will happen. Hope you are all learning what works for you.... It seriously takes awhile.... Hugs!!!

Thanks for responding...you're the first one that sounds just like me! Today I'm able to drink much more without pain and I woke up a little dehydrated. It's going pretty good though now. I'm 6 days past surgery and I'm down 11 lbs! I'm on Full liquids and I'm doing okay. My port site is really sore but everything else is moving along. Thanks again!

MrsCabes, this differs from one person to the next. I was getting stuck and full before my first fill.

Everything Betsy said is right on.

There are several different signals, mine is hi-coughs (hiccups). Others get watery eyes; runny noses; twitches and I've seen a few other things.

Chest pains; getting stuck and sliming mean you went to far.

I have to say that since reading this the first time, I started to notice that after a eat a bit that I get one hiccup. And because I read this I know what it means. Thank you!

@bnlluvr02-I've had the same problem since surgery and I am 9 days out. Mine almost feels like Heartburn or a dull ache in my chest and tends to happen most when I drink anything other than "clear liquids". As a result I'm maybe getting 30grams Protein p/day because the fuller shakes/creamed Soups are harder to get down-but I am getting in all my fluids. I've been told this is normal for some and just to keep on working on getting that Protein down. I was advised not to start Mushies just yet until I can get in the infamous 60grams Protein per day....and trust me the last thing I want is to try anything that isn't a liquid because I really think it's going to be uncomfortable.

I'm on an RX for Reflux in the AM that I was on before surgery-and my Dr. has put me on another at night and it seems to be lessening just a bit with that combo the past 2 days.

I really hope this is just my body still recovering and will pass because it is soooo frustrating.

I didn't even need a fill for several months after the surgery so I know that it is different for everyone!! I lost my weight with only two fills. Weird I know. I had a very small unfill after I reached goal and I think I can maintain now. At least I hope so. I sometimes eat too fast and have to bring it up so I am almost at one year and am still figuring things out. Hugs....

Our esophagi produce a clear mucus to aid in the swallowing of food. When food gets stuck the mucus/slime has nowhere to go but up.

It's kind of fun. Looks like a jellyfish when it is spit into the toilet.

very funny lol!