Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Year 2 - Sharing Successes (What Works) and Challenges

I see that there are still several of us who were banded in May 2009 that are still visiting this group site. I thought we could share what is working for us in our 2nd year, inc. food choices and behavioral changes that continue to support our weight loss/maintenance efforts, and any new or ongoing challenges we face.

I have four main 'keys' to my personal success in losing and maintaining 95lbs weight loss (to date):

1. Drinking a 'Premier' brand chocolate Protein Shake for Breakfast every morning (my favorite for taste, consistency, and sustainance - found at costco - $23.99 for a case of 18 - 30gms protein/3gms fiber/1 gm sugar/160cals). I tend to be very tight in the morning, and cannot tolerate solid food very well until lunchtime, so the shake really satisfies me until lunch and provides me with 1/2 my daily requirement for Protein. It's also very convenient as it is pre-mixed - grab and go!

2. Exercising - I was not exercising at all pre-band, and moving only when I absolutely had to. I would wait any amount of time for an elevator to take me up 1 floor. My best friend inspired me to start jogging, with a goal of running a 5 mile mud-run this fall. I hated running, but we started gradually in January of this year, and now I can slowly & consistently jog 6 miles without stopping. The 5 mile mud run is in 3 weeks, and we are both ready. The jogging has toned and shaped my entire body. While I still don't LOVE (or even like much) jogging, I do love how it makes my body look and feel :thumbup: ! I jog 3 times a week, and for the rest of the week incorporate a lot of movement whenever possible. I always take the stairs in place of the elevator, and make several trips when I'm loading or unloading groceries (or whatever) instead of trying to carry everything in at one time. I don't look for the closest parking space, and I no longer move my car when I'm shopping at a large outdoor shopping area and I want to shop at the opposite end from where I parked. I walk to speak with people in person at work whenever possible instead of using e-mail or phone. I try to make additional movement fun by playing more with my 7 & 8 year old sons (tag, frisbee, walking/jogging while they scooter, etc.) We all love the fun bonding time! For the jiggly arms - I'm using the 'Shake-It Weight' and doing the 6-minute DVD exercise program several times a week (see a demo at www.shakeweight.com) It's definitely toning my arms and shoulders, but it won't completely fix my arm 'wings' :huh2:

3. Support Group Meetings and Forums - I'm very fortunate that my physician provides a well-rounded program, including weekly support group meetings and a 12-month 'Eating Normally' cognitive behavior therapy course - all offered at no additional charge. I have taken full advantage and attend all the meetings offered with few exceptions. I have designated Wednesday nights as my night to take care of my own health and well-being. My Husband picks up my sons and has a 'guys night' (which they thoroughly enjoy), and I go to my meeting and then exercise with my best friend. I feel mentally and physically rejuevenated. I never had taken care of myself in this way prior to the band. Our 'Mayo Banditos' forum and the 'Lap Band Talk' site in general has provided me with invaluable information and support. Even when I am not posting, I check in and read your threads and share your challenges and triumphs!

4. Last but not least - the awesome support I have received from my wonderful husband and sons, my parents, friends (especially my best friend who did this with me), and co-workers. I've been so very blessed with unfailing support and encouraging compliments from everyone I have shared this process with (and I've shared it with EVERYONE :biggrin:)

Challenges:

1. Making better food choices - expanding my selections from the easy 'slider' foods (softer foods, lots of gravy or sauces, ice cream (though I have substituted 'Skinny Cow' and low-fat/non-fat frozen yogurt for Haagen Daas :wink2:), chips and dip, etc) and including fruits, vegetables, and more meats. I need to take on the 'harder' foods to digest, and just eat smaller portions following the 'rules' of eating small bites, chewing thoroughly, and eating slowly.

2. I've gone through many phases of regularly PB'ing, sometimes because I wasn't following the 'rules', and sometimes just so I could eat things I shouldn't or eat more than I should! (twisted, I know!!!!:scared2:) My band seems to occasionally self-adjust tighter - so it may have slipped (self-inflicted :sad:). I'm at a good restriction for now, so my physician isn't concerned unless I get to the point that I'm too tight, then they will check it and see if it has slipped, and if anything needs to be done. I've been much better for several weeks now, but it is still a challenge to not eat to the point that I feel I need to bring some back up :drool:!

3. I've been playing with the same 4 to 5 lbs over the last several months. I am 5 lbs away from my main goal of losing 100lbs, and I sometimes feel that I sabotage myself with my poor food choices so I can't meet that goal. Beyond those 5 lbs, I would like to lose another 15-20lbs, but this 'home-stretch' is so much harder than losing the bulk of my weight!

Overall - I am absolutely THRILLED with this procedure and the results I have received with the Lap-Band, and I wish I could have done this 10 years ago!!! Can't wait to hear from some of you!!!

Edited by Mamadot

Dear Mamadot,

Thank you so much for sharing your 2 year journey and listing your successes and challenges. Your insight will be helpful and inspiring to others as they proceed to their goal.

Although it is only 8 months since my surgery I find what has helped me to be within 10 lbs of my goal are the same as what also helped you - following the rules, a high Protein shake every morning. I too hated exercise, but have grown to almost enjoy it - I can't not do it now.

Although I told very few of my choice to have the surgery, I too love the compliments I now receive from friends and neighbors - it is unbelievable how good it feels, after so many years of people looking the other way when seeing me walking their way!

I have also learnt more about the Lap-Band procedure and way of life from others who post on this website than from any other source, for which I thank you all.

I too have the same challenges - since my last fill, which took me to that sweet spot, (but also made me tight) it is very easy to just eat sliders, I know I need to work at making better food choices.

Thank you again for posting your great note, I will copy it and put it in my L/B file, so I can refer to it when I need encouragement or feel a little lost on my Journey.

Viv

Edited by Vivinthewoods

It's hard to believe what we accomplished over the past year. I still can't believe it. I can eat just about anything but must really chew, chew, chew. The only thing that seems to be a pain in the butt to eat is scrambled eggs ( if you can believe that). If the eggs are runny then I'm good. bread needs to be toasted and well-done. SMALL PRICE TO PAY........

I can exercise, work on the house or boat and feel no pain afterwards. I use to pay for 3-5 days after strenuous activities. Shopping for clothes is a treat. I can buy off the rack at any men's store. My blood pressure and cholesterol levels have never been better.

I still find myself slipping up and eating too fast. The L/B gives me the signal to stop eating for a few minutes and think about how fast I'm eating. Eating slow and chewing remain a challenge.

All in all, one of the best decision I've ever made in my life.

Thank you for posting this and congrats on the 100!!!

I am hoping that by the 2 year bandiversary to have hit my goal. As most of the Banditos know My hip is what prevents me from doing a lot of the excercise, Well as of the 29th of this month I will have no more excuses!!!! they are finally doing the hip replacement. I couldn't be happier. because I've gotten down to a weight where the surgeons are comfortable to do the surgery, and I'm looking forward to the physical therepy because I know it's going to be a magical time with not only my recovery, but my weight loss goals as well.

John, As I write this I'm eating Soup. BEcause That too is my big issue, eating too fast, getting stuck, spending 10 mins in the bathroom trying to get it back up. I had a PB issue so bad last night that my throat is sore today from it, and not even Water would stay down.

Alot of us it seems have just faded off. Including myself. But I always come back when I need a reality check from the group that has been with me from the begining of this Journey and Completely understand the highs and lows of having this band. Thanks!!!! I hope everyone is well.

:smile2:

Best of luck, Sarah, on your hip replacement surgery. I'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers for you on the 29th! I hope this will free you from pain once you heal, and allow you the active lifestyle you desire to reach your goals. You have done amazing getting as far as you have while dealing with the pain - you should be very proud of your accomplishments, and I have no doubt you will reach all of your goals!

Good luck Sarah hope all goes well. Thanks you guys for posting. After my fill a week ago I think for the first time the band is working like it should. I am not getting hungy often and I have to take it very slow. It's very hard to get food down in the morning. I am getting stuck, but finally it goes down. Or it goes down very slow. I too hope I reach my goal by my second anniversary.

Thanks again for your support!

Thanks for sharing this, Mamadot! I agree with everything you have written, including the challenges!!!!