Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you are low carb and how many aren't?

And how much have you lost?

My doctor's diet protocol is 2 Protein Shakes per day and 1 meal, no carbs at all. Lean Protein (chicken, turkey, tofu, tuna and fish), and veggies for the one meal. Seems like that will get real old, real fast.

I feel that I could have lost the weight on a diet like that without the trauma of surgery. It seems really harsh and not how I want to live my life. I feel that eating a healthy balanced diet, but in much smaller portions than I used to, and cutting out terrible things like fast food will get me to my goal. I have tried dieting, and it never worked. My husband thinks I need to follow this diet, and I feel like we are going to spend the next year fighting about it.

I'm watching what I eat, and just making better choices. I know I could lose the weight quicker if I low carb it, but I don't want to. Eventually that is going to get old. If I had wanted to do that, I wouldn't have had this done.

I do low carb but nothing extreme. I do still eat bread sometimes but I do stay away from the rice and Pasta. I usually try to stay under 50 carbs a day. My biggest problem before the band was eating rice/pasta, so I've tried to steer clear of it before I reach my goal.

I don't think you should do NO carb, that is silly. Your body does need carbs but it's a matter of getting in the healthy complex carbs and not the ones from junk food.< /span>

I have gone back and forth with this... Now that I am almost at my sweet spot it is a lot easier to do low carb because I cannot tolerate bread and Pasta - it just hurts too much to eat them. Last week I did very low carb and lost 4 lbs (ignore my ticker its not accurate).... the weeks before that I have been losing 1-2lbs...

From what I have seen if you want to lose it quick go low carb... The best advice I was given (and didn't follow)- stick to liquids as long as you can then stick to as little carbs as possible as long as you can.

Advice I do follow.... hold out for the day as long as you can without carbs because once you start eating them for the day you will crave them the rest of the day.

I def low carb....I can not tolerate bread, Rice or Pasta.. Although Pasta is going down a bit easier these days, probably need a fill.

I do low-carb, but would NOT be happy with a two-shake, 1-meal plan. (Sometimes I do this, if I'm really tight, however.)

What's the rationale for replacing meals with shakes? If you're really tight, I can see it. But in general, shakes leave the pouch very quickly--why not aim for a solid diet that provides the same amount of Protein in a form that will satisfy you for longer?

My basic day is a Protein Shake early in the morning, 2-4 oz. Protein (egg, lean meat/poultry/fish, legumes + cheese---lots of variety) for Breakfast (sometimes, a fruit, too), 2-4 ounces protein for lunch + nonstarchy veggies, protein + nonstarchy veggies again at dinner, and a Protein Shake in the evening.

When I hit 75% of excess weight lost, I will gradually add grains back in. According to my doctor, that's in about 3 pounds, but my goal is lower than his, so I will probably hold off.

Are you sure this regimen your doctor put you on isn't just for the short term? I sure as heck don't see that as some life-long dietary regimen.

I drink normally 2 Protein shakes a day just to supplement my Protein intake...only 1 is a Meal Replacement since I'm rarely hungry in the morning. Otherwise, I eat normally and I can eat anything, just not as much. I stick to whole grains, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruits, some veggies, meat, chicken, fish and limit processed foods. That's not to say I don't eat a Lean Cuisine now and then, just not as a rule.

I personally don't feel like what your doctor is telling you to do is reasonable. To do that for any length of time may have you craving the foods you are missing. I've gotten to the point where I'm done with dieting and am concentrating on eating properly and exercising. It's working.

Nope, not temporary. That is supposed to be my diet until I reach goal, which who knows, could take 2 years or more.

I have never low carbed, i eat bread, rice and Pasta (not white though, and not pretend wholemeal supermarket bread either). I wouldnt dream of touching a Cereal like cornflakes but will eat things like organic muesli. My diet is more carb based than Protein based, but of course I get enough Protein too.

My feeling is that low carb works well for weight loss but it is my whole body health I am interested in, ironically, it hasnt protected me as I have recently found out I have a tumour in my bowel. However, the way I eat and exercise is the recommendation for my lifelong diet when I am recovered and I can only surmise that my earlier years of not such a great diet (and not so bad either, these things are so random and we have a strong family history) and lack of exercise.

Facing radiotherapy, chemotherapy and major surgery, I feel even MORE strongly now that people should not risk their health simply for weight loss. High protein low carb can be healthy but for most people it only means an alternative awful diet to processed carbs. It means high animal products and high saturated fat, low fibre diet that is missing the nutrietns of a major food group.. Its a fad, a trend and nothing more and it really worries me what people are eating thinking they are doing great things for themselves.

If you can get down four or five cups of healthy, low or non cooked vegies per day with your protein, then for sure, skip the grain products and carbs. But who on earth can do that with a lapband?

But simply from the "this is a lifestyle not a diet' point of view, I agree with you entirely, cut down, reduce portions, cut out the rubbish and you'll lose weight.

I lost 100 lb, easily and have kept it off for a couple of years now.

Jacqui, I'm so, so sorry to hear what you're facing. I agree that meeting all of your body's nutrient needs will help you as you tackle the ordeal ahead. I wish you weren't facing it, but if there's anyone who can conquer disease, I have no doubt it's you!

I was doing a low carb pre-op diet and when i get to eat food again then i will do a low carb diet as well i just liked how i felt doing low carb i had more energy and felt lighter...:cursing:

Kristy29 - I can't believe the doc expects you to adhere to that for 2 years! That just seems crazy!

I'm not sure what is reasoning is for keeping you on such a strict diet, and I hope he's not setting you up for failure because that just seems impossible to me.

If you feel that you can be moderately active, make good decisions with healthy food and eat approx. 1 cup per meal, I don't see how you wouldn't lose weight. Honestly, I don't think I would have even considered the surgery had a doc told me that is what I would have to do. It seems rather extreme.

I would think by now you know your body better than anyone and what works for you and what doesn't. And also what you could improve upon. I could give you the recommendations of my doc if you want.

I really feel for you because it's not something I would be able to do for that long of a period. Doesn't seem like a realistic way of living day in and day out. I wish you the best!

Jachut- You are an inspiration to me and I am sure other newbie bandsters... I hope everything works out and will keep you in my prayers!

I have recently found out I have a tumour in my bowel. ,

I do not do low carb. I do choose my carbs carefully though. My diet consist of no more then 40% carbs though. I dont want to live the rest of my life doing no carbs so I dont think I should start off that way.

Im low-carbing it until my first fill to see how tight I am and then will re-evaluate. I might do low carb until I get good restriction but definitely dont see myself doing it for the rest of my life.