Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery in April.I have had only three or four bad stuck's that were horrible but what I did so I didn't throw up was I took my gas x chewable's and chewed them up till they were almost Water and swallowed and then the whole thing was over with.It has worked everytime.I alway's have these on me and the only time I slimed was because there was none in the house.I am not going trough that again.You can only take a certain amount in 24 hour's so I make sure I only take them when I need them.Plus I really make a effort to not eat so fast.It is a really hard habit to break after all these year's of overeating.

OMG now I know exactly how someone with bulemia feels..eat, throw up, eat, throw up.

I have started carrying a red disposable solo cup around the house with me so I dont have to keep running to the bathroom. It reminds me of the spit cup my grandpa had many years ago when he dipped snuff. LOL

Ive never had anything stuck for more than a couple of hours but I have a friend who had surgey 2 years ago and he got a pill stuck last week and couldnt eat for 3 days.Someone made him laugh and it passed.

Just for future reference If I get stuck and am not able to take my BP meds..guess Ill make a reservation for the comedy cabana. :biggrin:

I have a question, being a new bandster. When you all talk about being stuck am I to assume that the area the food is stuck is the opening from the pouch to the stomach where the band is placed?

Yes, that is exactly right.

I'll preface my words by saying we all know it is best to not get stuck. :smile:

One of my "favorite" ways is to drink down a few ounces of Water. It will usually come right back up and bring the offending item with it. Without retching and trauma.

I told my surgeon's nurse practioner this method the other day when I was in for a fill. She said well, the best thing is to not get stuck. But otherwise, whatever works without the retching is the best.

They had a patient recently who got stuck on pizza. He waited it out, called, they let the Fluid out, scoped him...nothing worked. He lost his band. Wah. Not sure what the solution for that one would have been.

Maybe not eat the pizza? NAH!!! I love pizza.

arrrhh yes, stuck right now for the 2nd time in 24 hours - eating leftovers from the same meal that stuck me yesterday! !!!!! No brains, no brains.

chicken breast is going on my hit-list. No matter HOW much I chew it & make sure to have lots of sauce/gravey, I can't seem to get it to a slidey consistency.

Tried the chicken-flap suggestion by another member - oh yeah, looked like a fool. :blush:

Still stuck lol

Tried fizzy drink this morning - still stuck :)

Try thigh instead - it is much moister.

And I agree, I tried the chicken flap thing the other day and it did nothing!

This is probably a stupid question but does any digestion happen in this new pouch or is it just however well you chew that gets it into the stomach? or stuck?

This is probably a stupid question but does any digestion happen in this new pouch or is it just however well you chew that gets it into the stomach? or stuck?

The only stupid questions are those not asked.

It has begun before the food even reaches your "pouch". Digestion begins in the mouth. Saliva contains enzymes which start breaking food down.

The food is further broken down by digestive fluids in your stomach including your pouch.

The pouch itself is only there to slow down the food and trick your stomach into thinking it is full.

When I get stuck, I take a drink of warm Water. Hold it and then spew! Sounds gross, but you asked... This usually rids the offending food piece but if it's still there I will repeat the process till it's gone. Then it takes a few hours for my pouch to feel better. Later I will baby it with hot chocolate or orange tea.

The only stupid questions are those not asked.

It has begun before the food even reaches your "pouch". Digestion begins in the mouth. Saliva contains enzymes which start breaking food down.

The food is further broken down by digestive fluids in your stomach including your pouch.

The pouch itself is only there to slow down the food and trick your stomach into thinking it is full.

Thank you! :blushing:

I'm nearing the eating regular food phase and have experimented some. I think I'm going to have to stick to the basics for a while because no matter how much I chew, I've gotten stuck. Perhaps it's the bite size. Even though I think I'm taking a small bite, it must need to be smaller. This is certainly an experiment. I manage to make it to the stool, bend over, and give it a good cough and the offending food comes up in a large amount of saliva. After that, I feel great and just give up on eating. I hate that feeling of the continued swallowing and gulping knowing the food is just stuck near the sterum and it's just got to go.

Edited by dm5201

I'm nearing the eating regular food phase and have experimented some. I think I'm going to have to stick to the basics for a while because no matter how much I chew, I've gotten stuck. Perhaps it's the bite size. Even though I think I'm taking a small bite, it must need to be smaller. This is certainly an experiment. I manage to make it to the stool, bend over, and give it a good cough and the offending food comes up in a large amount of saliva. After that, I feel great and just give up on eating. I hate that feeling of the continued swallowing and gulping knowing the food is just stuck near the sterum and it's just got to go.

You are getting stuck already? Do you have Fluid in your band?

I start on solid foods today. So far so good. I am terrified of getting stuck. :blushing:

chicken is one of the biggest offenders. I have learned to slightly break the rules with chicken. I eat chicken with my veggies in every mouthfull. It really helps with the consistency. I cut my chicken rediculously small too. try cutting your veggies smaller too, so you can eat the amount of chicken you desired.

chicken is one of the biggest offenders. I have learned to slightly break the rules with chicken. I eat chicken with my veggies in every mouthfull. It really helps with the consistency. I cut my chicken rediculously small too. try cutting your veggies smaller too, so you can eat the amount of chicken you desired.

Eating Proteins first and then the other stuff is not a rule. It is more of a guideline.

The rules while eating are simple:

• Don't drink while eating
  • Chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew
  • Stop eating when satisfied