Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help....Can't stop bingeing

I don't know what's going on with me but I can't stop bingeing the last week or so. I will start eating sweets and then can't stop until I feel half sick. It all started when I got a sinus infection and they put my on steroids and antibiotics. I didn't have this problem before. I could eat a couple of chocolate chips or something and be fine with it but now can't seem to get control of it. I do have a counselor that I will have my second visit this Friday but just wondering why. I'm off all the meds and have been off the steroids for over a week and the antibiotics the last few days. I'm exercising with a trainer and doing well but can't understand this.....any help appreciated

rpm2010:cursing:

Steroids will make you HUNGRY. I have been on them before and the antibiotics don't help any. It might take you a couple of weeks to get over the steroids. And the best thing to do is to cut out any sugar period. Once your body is back to normal, maybe you can add your chips back and control it.

Steroids are notorious for making you ravenous. That's probably what started this for you. Try to make sure you get Protein (solid) at each meal. Write down what you eat and the calories. Allow yourself two Snacks. Eat smaller meals more often. Try to eat a variety of foods. Stay away from Protein Drinks and other slider foods and try to eat those foods that stick with you. Maybe try some lite Soups. Like chicken noodle or vegetable. Eat them first. They might help to fill you up. Good luck.

Thank you for your replies.....I did eat chicken breasts today first and then some lowcarb high Protein bread that I had gotten at a health food store....even has 12 to 14 grams of Fiber. I guess I will just have to wait it out and do my best.....I hope I never have to take those meds again but unfortuately I have sinus/allergy problems so I will probably have to now and then......just have to deal with them I suppose.:)

rpm2010

Steroids are notorious for causing carbohydrate craving--and they skew carbohydrate metabolism, which can really make your blood sugar swing wildly.

The best way to combat it by upping your Protein, sticking to carbohydrates that come from veggies, legumes, and WHOLE grains (and I'd skip the grains, to tell you the truth), and really being careful about sodium.

Your satiety will be increased if you aim for a good balance of Protein, "good" carb, and heart-healthy fat at each meal. This will help with the blood sugar swings and also, if you are generally well-fed, leave less room for binge-y stuff.

Be aware that the steroids may well affect Fluid balance--don't be surprised if you see a gain. The meds are short-term, so you won't see the fat gain that can occur with long-term use---but you may well retain Fluid.< /p>

Thank You Betsy...do you have any idea how long this is going to stay in my system? It seems I get a tad better each day but a slow process

rpm2010

I find that once a month I am like that....since I have had the ablasion surgery I don't get regular periods, but obviously my hormones and body still "cycle" as I feel bloated a get choc cravings like no other. But sometimes once you start eating junk like that you can't stop - be it a mental thing (using it for comfort) or a physical thing (a sugar addiction)....you just have to cut yourself some slack when you fail and pick yourself up again. Make sure you are getting lots of good Protein - which will help you feel fuller longer....and before you binge try and stop and ask yourself why you are reaching for ____...is it for comfort, boredom, etc. Sometimes if I catch myself and stop and think - I realize I don't really want whatever it is that I was going to eat....I am just bored or looking for comfort. Hang in there!

Thank You Betsy...do you have any idea how long this is going to stay in my system? It seems I get a tad better each day but a slow process

rpm2010

Have you finished taking it? The effects should taper off pretty quickly---within a week (probably far less), you should be feeling lots better.

You might find, though, that the carb monster has been triggered---and that it's tough to turn back from it. If so, eating carefully for a few days will remind your body of what it needs :o

I was banded on July 19 and up until last week all was good. I was struggleing a little but nothing I could not handle but then I over did it on the treadmill & injured my back. (I already had 2 back surgery's) Dr's told me just that week not to use the incline but I wanted a good workout and exercised for an 1hr on incline of 8 & 10. NOW im suffering the consequences. Ive had severe low back back went for a Toradol injection last tuesday & what do I do?.... Go to the Rose bowl & walk 2 laps (3.2 miles a lap) I should of rested but felt a little better and was soooooooo set on losing weight b4 my 2nd fill. I've had 1 fill & no restriction which Im ok wth I understand the slow journey but due to all the meds Im on the last 2 days have been munching on anything I can find. Even though its healthy still eating way to many calories. Ive been taking anti- inflammatory & pain meds + muscle relaxants & they have not helped at all. Im going to see Dr tomorrow & she will want me to take steroids. This is how I gained my weight in the 1st place. Im really frustrated and desperate. I know Ive gained & will probably gain more. I went from walking 6 to 10 miles a day to "0" + eating more calories. NOT GOOD! Im getting my 2nd fill on thursday & so hoping I get some restriction. Hopefully that will stop me a little. I know I will be on liquids for 2 days after so hoping that will help also. I apologize for for this long msg but needed to vent. Sometimes just letting it out and sharing helps me & hoping I get that will power burst that I need to overcome this small obstacle. I know its not the end of the world and evetually will be able to exercise & be more disciplined wth my eating after the meds leave my system. Thanks for listening.

Blessing for all and wishing everyone great success & that they heal and feel better soon.

OMG! So that's why I was eating constantly a couple weeks ago! I was on steroids for my hives! Argggh!

I have been on steroids the last 7 months, and I had gained almost 40 pounds. I was a carbohydrate junkie. Im not diabetic, but my sugar level had to be all out of wack.

Even though Im supposed to still be on these steroids, I stopped taking it a month ago on my own. Carb cravings were gone in about two weeks. It helped a great deal because now being on the preop diet, I dont have any cravings for carbs.

Im also convinced that being off these steroids helped me drop a bit more weight than I expected the last month.

Edited by DonTony