Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5th week post-op Dr has moved me to solids. I'm scared!!

Hi everyone I was just wondering if anybody elses dr moved them to solids on the 5th week. I thought it wasn't until 6-8 weeks that you got to eat solids. I am really scared going from liquids and mushies to solids. I do not want to gain the lbs back that I lost with such hard work, dedication and starvation. I asked the dr if I could continue to do a shake for Breakfast and he said no. He said at this point I needed to eat 1/2 a cup to 1 1/2 cup of solid (depending on when I get full) food 3 times a day. I am so scared!!! Any advice anyone could give me or just tell me if you felt this way too. Thanks

I moved on to solid foods (baked fish, tuna, etc.) by the 2nd week. Every doctor is different. Just remember to take things slowly and introduce one new food at each meal.

I am being banded next week, but I will be on solids at week 5 also. I know my program told me to be very aware of the diet and amounts that I will eat. I was told that they want to see a regular diet before the six week visit (I have an appointment at six weeks for my first fill already scheduled). I don't have the plan yet but I can understand your fear. I am afraid of being on liquids and then having to eat again myself and I have not even started yet.

Good Luck!!!

I was moved to solids by week 3 to 4. I know I was really worried about it, but discovered quickly enough I really had no restriction and it was no different to eating preband. It was when I started getting fills that I began eating different it was either that or PB every meal. I quickly learnt. As they say now is the time to start training yourself to eat different whether you have restriction or not. Use small plates and small forks etc. Chew your food chew chew chew till you cant chew anymore :(

Good Luck

5 weeks is well within the time frame. Don't worry! You'll be just fine. 6 - 8 weeks is typically when the first fill happens, not solid food.

And you might gain back a little weight. But don't worry there either. It isn't at all uncommon to gain back a few pounds during this time.

But the good news is that after you are properly adjusted, I don't think you will ever feel like you are "starving" again.

I think you will be surprised how little you are able to eat at a time when you start solids. I didn't really feel any restriction until then. But be sure to chew really well or you will be miserable.

I have a shake for breakfast every morning... For a meal replacement... Then my other 2 small meals...

I was also scared to move to solids this week, but just take your time and chew, chew, chew. Also, I wouldn't suggest trying a steak on day one, from what I hear, steak is a lot harder to liquidfy in your mouth.

It's all going to be fine...keep working on your "head band" as you go. The dr. probably said no Protein Shake because, if you were to only drink those, you would not stay full as long (solid Protein is best for this), and you could have 20 a day, easy, which would be too many calories. I started solid food on week 3. Because of all the changes and fills, I never actually figure out what I can eat...it changes! Take it slow. Chew very, very well. Take small bites (be especially care on that first bite! That is the one that usually give me a lump in my throat). Choose wisely. Like, don't try steak first thing out of the chute (oops, Texas slang!). For the rest of the world: Dont try steak as the first solid food you try! LOL!

Take it easy. You'll be fine.

Cindy

I went to solids on my 5th week also. I was scared too. But don't worry, you will be okay, just chew the daylights out of your food (until it melts down your throat).

I just had 1 slice of pizza for dinner, first time in over 6 weeks since I had it. I waited until the cheese cooled a little so it would be so stringy to chew. It took me about 20 minutes to eat 1 slice but it went down just fine.

You won't gain if you stick to about a cup of food / meal and your not taking in empty liquid calories.

WARNING: Junk food goes day VERY easy lol.

hugs

I ate my first solids on day 4 (yes I cheated). most people I know are on solids week 3 or 4. Just remember 2 things: small portions and chew, chew, chew!