Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I set my surgery date! The only thing is I have to quit smoking for two months before they will do the suregery. So Im quitting tomarrow! How did handle this? what worked best for you? any tips or suggestions? Im ready to quit, I think lol but it has been a struggle and many failed attempts in the past so any help is appreciated!

So I set my surgery date! The only thing is I have to quit smoking for two months before they will do the suregery. So Im quitting tomarrow! How did handle this? what worked best for you? any tips or suggestions? Im ready to quit, I think lol but it has been a struggle and many failed attempts in the past so any help is appreciated!

not that i condone smoking but why must u stop before surgery??? i dont think i have ever heard of that...

I guess I was a bad girl then cuz I didn't quit...........

I quit....Chantix was a huge help! I haven't picked up a cigarette since! Best decision I could have made.

Wellbutrin :biggrin: But I quit 2 1/2 years before my surgery

Chantix, Chantix, Chantix! I smoked for 23 years and was able to quit with Chantix in two months! I have now been a nonsmoker for 2 yrs and 8 months. I didn't have any side effects in the short time I took it, so it worked great for me.

Like Shay, it was the best decision I could have made. =)

As some of the other people have posted - Chantix! It was a life saver. I quit as of Feb. 2 of this year and haven't looked back. Chantix works and it works fast.

I was 25 when I quit and had smoked a least two packs a day since I was 14 years old. ;]

I quit cold turkey on 8/18/08. I just decided that I was done. I picked a date and said that's it - no more. The first few weeks were the most difficult but it was not impossible! I chewed a LOT of gum! It's definitely been made easier since smoking has been banned here in nearly all public places. I'm not tempted as much.

I will say that when my hubby and I went to the Caribbean last year, I tried to smoke a cigarette one night and I just couldn't do it. I felt like I had licked an ashtray :biggrin:

Good luck!

Although I dont recommend the way I did it, Im sure many have done the same. I went on the patch and smoked while on it. At first Id smoke 1/2 cigarette then get nauseaus and put it out. Then it would be 1/3. Then just a few puffs. I quit in 2 weeks and didnt even realize I had stopped the first 2 full days. I just didnt want to light up anymore. I kept the patch on for another month and that was it.

I had smoked since I was 15 and now 8 years smoke free.

Hi there,

I quit by hypnosis. Cold turkey - no cravings for cigarettes at all. It was awesome! Took 3 sessions.

I quit cold turkey, and kept my hands busy with crochet and other crafts. It also helped that no one in the house smoked so I wasn't around it. I didn't go out with friends who smoked for a whole month...to give me time to kick the habit. Now it doesn't even bother me to see someone smoke...I can't stand the smell actually, so I'm not tempted. You can do it! Talk to your dr. and get meds to help, anything it takes...just don't pick up another one. If you have family that smokes...ask them to smoke outside.

CHANTIX.

Amazing. I smoked a pack a day, and after Chantix haven't smoked in nearly 4 years.

It blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain so you don't crave it. The HABBIT stuff is what's hard... feeling like you want to smoke after you eat, or when you're in the car, or wherever you usually do. But you can deal with that if you're not fighting the cravings.

You take it for 12 weeks, you smoke during the first week so you build the Chantix up in your system, then you stop smoking but keep taking the pill. It's amazing. I actually only took it for about a month because by then I wasn't even thinking about smoking anymore and I kept forgetting to take it!

It did make me quite nauseous for about half an hour after taking it, but I was never sick. And I did have very vivid, odd, dreams. Not nightmares but it was kind of like everything was all "Tim Burton" and really intense.

But i'd tried gum, patch, the nicotine inhaler... cold turkey. nothing worked like that.

Hope whatever you do works for you!!! I LOVE not smoking... now that cigs in NY are $10/pack!!! No way I could afford $70 a week on cigs!!!

It may not be the best way but I quit cold turkey. I quit several years ago when my wonderful Mother-in-Law was in her final stages of lung cancer. I quit at her request when she reminded me that I needed to be healthy for my children and be able to see their mile-stones..This was a harsh reality for me. You have to take the same initiative, your health is a life and death situation. You have to visualize yourself as being healthy and fit...

Chantix works great, i would talk to ur Dr. about it.