Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you know if your too tight?

I have 5cc in a 10cc band. since july 21, 2010. I was banded Jan. 8,2010 and I have lost a total of 55lbs. since July my food intake has been very little. There are times when I can more than other times. Sometimes after a bite or two of whatever I eat...it comes back up. I have to stop eating chicken (fried, baked, broiled whatever kind) because it comes back up. My mouth gets watery...and then I know i need to find a trash can or a toliet fast. Does anyone else have or had this problem...what am i doing wrong.

From what you are sharing, you may be too tight. I felt that way and had some removed. I feel worlds better and can eat the right amount of food to prompt weight loss. remember a too tight band is what causes many band problems like slippage, erosion, gerd, etc. If you are unable to keep about 2/3 to a cup of food down at any meal than you may very well be too tight. your weight loss will slow as well.

Hi there,

I too have trouble eating chicken and fish. I think it gets stuk in my band and it sometimes really hurts. I just chew more and eat slower. I haven't vomited yet but usually my mouth waters alot too. So I can relate.

From what your discribing you band my be to tight, but it looks like you have done well by losing 55 lbs.

I was banded on July 20, 2010 and have lost 27lbs. when I went back on normal foods I gained a few lbs back but now they are coming off as I know I need to eat about 1100 calories per day or I will not loss weight.

If it bothers you that your band is to tight go back to the doctor that filled it for you. You could always wait it out and see what happen in a couple of weeks.

weight.png

Edited by Canadian Girl

Throwing up can be caused by eating too fast, taking too large of bites, not chewing enough or just plain being too tight. So if you are sure that you are not doing any of the first three wrong, your probably too tight.

My band has gotten tighter over the last few weeks and I am going to have some Fluid removed next week. I know I am too tight because I can only eat a very small amount of food at a time and then I have to wait for it to go through and eat again later. I need to eat enough to exercise properly and it is taking me a hour to an hour and a half at night to eat enough.

to me it sounds like your band is just a little too tight, or you may be eating too big of bites or not chewing sufficiently.

my first impression was being too tight.

my last fill was .5cc and made a lot of difference so if you have just a small amount removed i'm thinking it may help.

but as always.....talk with your dr.

Thanks ladies...I feel much better now...I did not get an unfill...but for some reason i was able to eat yesterday without getting sick...this happens on and off to me...mornings are the worse...today I drank a bottle of Water and waiting atleast and hour and half then I was able to eat some eggs, one waffle, and two small turkey sauages. I will take smaller bites and chew, chew, chew. thanks again I need this support.:)

I'm beside myself...My band was to tight and sad to say I knew it, well after my swallow test, I had to go back and they removed all my Fluid (6.5cc) my esophagus is dilated, it's not contracting properly and I have a pocket of diverticuli. I'm getting scoped in a few days....Please has this happened to anyone and if so, will they refill it again...I should say I've been banded since 11/08 and am down to my "goal" 83 lbs.. I just want to lose so badly...I know you can all understand that...but this was the wrong way to go...since they removed the fluid, I've gained 8 lbs. in 3 weeks...and did get this under control...

Edited by frickster

For some reason, mornings most of us feel a lot tighter, and have trouble eating just about anything. The rule of thumb is "Go Slow". Also, some days I can tolerate a type of food (say chicken), and some days I can't. If you continue to have trouble, you may have to get de-filled a bit.

I was too tight for 5 months but I managed to find a way to get my calories in. I lost pretty consistently so I figured I was ok. Band rules? Eat three meals and no Snacks was a joke for me. The only way I could eat at all was to snack. A bite here and a bite there. I used a lot of Soup and eating out was a joke. I found there was nothing I could order at a resturant that would work including soup. I got a slight unfill yesterday .1cc and OMG what a difference. I can eat three small meals and don't feel the need to do the snacking any more. I am excited to get my last three pounds off before my bandiversary in September. Hugs!!

Oh okay that is great to know. Thanks Jo-Jo!:(

I have been banded since sept 09, I haven't lost much weight but try every month to at least lose 1-3 lbs like the surgeon wants. I have 9cc's in a 10 cc band and go for another fill this coming Tuesday. There are days when I can eat a horse and others that I can't even eat because I am so tight but I would rather just drink Protein Shakes and not eat then to eat everything in site. So I'll take the chance to get stuck by eating healthy foods and just chew well and hope it goes down okay. I've only had a few stuck moments and thought I would rather die but it is so worth the pain than being as fat as I was. I'll take the feeling of puking and the watering of the mouth anytime. It sucks but it is better than where I was before surgery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches