Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bump up the Biker Bander Bunch

This forum is pretty dead, and I'm hoping there is someone out there who cares to get it back up to speed.

My husband and I got back from Sturgis last week (we went pre-madness week to ride the Black Hills with friends) and it was my first long trip on my very own bike and not looking at the back of some male's head. I put over 600 miles on my bike, rode through a howling electric storm, down miles of gravel roads, and up Iron Mountain on pigtail bridges and through narrow tunnels behind bikers much more expert than I. It was wonderful and I am ready to ride clear from central Wyoming to Wisconsin on the next trip.

Finding things to eat wasn't quit the trial I thought it would be. I ate basically what everyone else ate, though far less and much more slowly. Nuts were a good source of Protein and easy to get down and I even managed most of a taco salad one day. Had a long discussion with a friend who has considered banding, but whose insurance company denied her several years ago. In hopes that insurance companies are more Enlightened now, she is going to apply again and I wish her luck

Who else rides? I have a Yamaha Virago 1100 and my husband has a Honda Shadow 1100. These bikes may lack the status appeal of a HD, but we get where we want to go.:thumbup:

My husband and I ride a 2005 Harley Road King Custom. He keeps telling me that I need to get my own bike, but I'm not brave enough to take the motorcycle safety class yet. :thumbup: My husband is dying to ride to Sturgis, but there is no way I would make it. We live in Texas. We would have to trailer it. Hopefully one day we will get up there.

Gather your courage and take the class! You will never want to ride looking at the back of a guy's head again!

Sturgis is a crush, but coming from Houston, the crowds may not get to you as fast as they get to me. A female friend of mine is riding her Harley from Big Spring in west Texas through Wyoming to SD to Minnesota and looping back down the Mississippi River home. I expect her here about August 21 and am looking forward to riding with her part of the way, but I don't think my butt could survive several thousand miles in 19 days. :thumbup:

We are planning to go to Junction, TX next May for the CloudRiders gathering. Haven't decided yet whether we will ride the whole way or cop out and trailer the bikes. Depends partially on how much vacation time we have for the trip. Most the trip down there is great, but the front range of Colorado is one big mass of ungodly traffic, so I suspect we'll go around through the mountains (the long cut).

If you're interested in a bike forum with a bunch of good folks, many of whom are in Texas, try http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php

bump

My name is Darlene and I live in Michigan. I was banded in August of this year. I ride my own motorcycle. I took the class in June. I have a 2004 Yamaha V-Star Custom 1100. I love riding. I would love to go to Sturgis someday. I would also like to see this site get more active.

This forum is pretty dead, and I'm hoping there is someone out there who cares to get it back up to speed.

My husband and I got back from Sturgis last week (we went pre-madness week to ride the Black Hills with friends) and it was my first long trip on my very own bike and not looking at the back of some male's head. I put over 600 miles on my bike, rode through a howling electric storm, down miles of gravel roads, and up Iron Mountain on pigtail bridges and through narrow tunnels behind bikers much more expert than I. It was wonderful and I am ready to ride clear from central Wyoming to Wisconsin on the next trip.

Finding things to eat wasn't quit the trial I thought it would be. I ate basically what everyone else ate, though far less and much more slowly. Nuts were a good source of Protein and easy to get down and I even managed most of a taco salad one day. Had a long discussion with a friend who has considered banding, but whose insurance company denied her several years ago. In hopes that insurance companies are more Enlightened now, she is going to apply again and I wish her luck

Who else rides? I have a Yamaha Virago 1100 and my husband has a Honda Shadow 1100. These bikes may lack the status appeal of a HD, but we get where we want to go. ;)

I ride a 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit and my husband rides a 2007 Honda 1300 VTX. We love to ride! I am scheduled for surgery Dec 6. Really excited and scared! Wondering how it will be in 40 yrs from now having the band in my body?

I am not banded yet, but that is my goal in the next few months!! I own a Suzuki Intruder 805, but have yet to take the class (time restraints), my husband owns & rides a Suzuki Boulevard 800....we'd love to go to Sturgis one year!! We live south of Houston, Texas!! Keep ya posted with updates on all the above!! :-)

Banded July 2 12. I ride a heritage softail classic. Can't wait to get back on and ride!

I ride a Harley Custom 1200LX Sportster.

KristiRN, I learn to ride on a Intruder. The Sportster,even though a lot bigger & heavier is a much easier bike to ride.

Hey, there's bikers on here!! yay! I just got banded 3 weeks ago, and want to get back on my Harley...when did you all resume riding again? I was told 6 weeks, but really??

i was riding on back of my hub at week 3...prob could have done it at 2 weeks...

if it hurts, dont do it...

Hey' date=' there's bikers on here!! yay! I just got banded 3 weeks ago, and want to get back on my Harley...when did you all resume riding again? I was told 6 weeks, but really??[/quote']

I'll be 4 wks tomorrow and I planned to ride today, but just didn't have the time.

6wks is when you're considered totally healed.

I'll be 4 wks tomorrow and I planned to ride today, but just didn't have the time.

6wks is when you're considered totally healed.

Go Maddy Go!!! Just had to post! :ph34r: