Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kathy's first goal reached: Low 200s (184 pounds lost in 23 months)

Hi everyone, I wanted to shout to the rooftops that as of today, I have met my original (although not my current) weight loss goal!

My starting weight was 433 lbs. And as of today I am at 249 lbs, for a cumulative weight loss of 184 lbs.

Actually, my original weight loss goal was more nebulous than this. Originally I could only vaguely visualize a conceptual goal of maybe, possibly, someday, if I'm lucky, getting into the low 200's. Later, as I started losing weight, believing that I might be able to do this, and realizing that I needed a more concrete goal to work towards, I decreed that goal to be 249 pounds, as that is the first number I could hit that would round down to 200 rather than round up to 300, LOL. However, quite some time ago I modified my goal to be 199 pounds. That is my current goal. But if I get down that far I may try to reach my next goal, which is 179 pounds. My lowest weight as an adult is 169 pounds, and that is my fantasy goal. But 179 pounds will get me into the top of the normal, healthy weight range for my height and age.

But for now I just wanted to say yay me! And thank you to my LAP-BAND® which has made it all possible.

Oh, I should mention that I was banded September 9, 2008, so it has been almost 2 years. I know I won't win any medals for fastest weight loss, but a steady weight loss of about 2 pounds a week is most healthy anyway.

For me, the most important success factor has been actively managing the band - specifically getting to and maintaining that "sweet spot" where hunger and cravings are much more manageable but I can still get plenty of liquids down. I find that if I am too loose or too tight, even by a small margin, my weight loss slows down dramatically.

Well, I think I am going to take myself shopping and buy myself some new sexy underthings to celebrate!

Kathy

Congrats!!!

I was impressed by your weight loss 50 pounds ago. I am astounded now and have no doubts you can hit your goal. It's all about attitude and you have it!!

It's stories like yours that ensure the rest of us that our goals are possible.

PS. you look 15 to 20 years younger than before!

Congrats Girl ! I am inspired

Congratulations on your loss! I got my band a year before you, Sept 07. Since then I have gained about 25lbs. I have had 2 fills. I feel like a moron going back for another because my doctor just makes me feel like I have no self control. So the second fill I went to fill centers usa. I have always been able to eat around the band, but at this point I don't feel like I don't have any real restriction, maybe first thing in the morning. I started back on the wagon last monday, but was desperately hungry by Sunday and ate normally and even had a piece of Birthday cake at a party. Today I did great until about 7, when I was ravenouly hungry and had some chips and crackers. I came here for inspiration cause I feel like I'm at rock bottom. I don't know if I should try to recommit before I have another expensive fill. I felt so deprived this week without my normal foods, because I really enjoy cooking and eating. It's like I have gone into this depression. My questions is....... how did you do it? What do you feel the keys are? Do you NEVER drink when eating? What do you eat typically? I'm grasping at straws! When I had my fill, I just felt like I had something stuck in my throat when eating, it was nothing close to the "satisfied" full feeling. Is that just a thing of the past with the right restriction level? I need some advice from someone who has figured this thing out. I'm fatter than ever and totally miserable!

Congratulations on your loss! I got my band a year before you, Sept 07. Since then I have gained about 25lbs. I have had 2 fills. I feel like a moron going back for another because my doctor just makes me feel like I have no self control. So the second fill I went to fill centers usa. I have always been able to eat around the band, but at this point I don't feel like I don't have any real restriction, maybe first thing in the morning. I started back on the wagon last monday, but was desperately hungry by Sunday and ate normally and even had a piece of Birthday cake at a party. Today I did great until about 7, when I was ravenouly hungry and had some chips and crackers. I came here for inspiration cause I feel like I'm at rock bottom. I don't know if I should try to recommit before I have another expensive fill. I felt so deprived this week without my normal foods, because I really enjoy cooking and eating. It's like I have gone into this depression. My questions is....... how did you do it? What do you feel the keys are? Do you NEVER drink when eating? What do you eat typically? I'm grasping at straws! When I had my fill, I just felt like I had something stuck in my throat when eating, it was nothing close to the "satisfied" full feeling. Is that just a thing of the past with the right restriction level? I need some advice from someone who has figured this thing out. I'm fatter than ever and totally miserable!

You've only had two fills ever? It took me 3 or 4 fills before I got to the "sweet spot" for the first time. Then for a while I needed fills every month or so to stay at the sweet spot. I once went 6 months between fills but that was the longest. The trickiest thing is getting to and staying at that sweet spot. It sounds from your description that you have never gotten to your sweet spot. Keep at it! The band only works for you if you work to manage it. But since you had the band put in you should follow-through with the rest of your investment and get the fills you need to get to the sweet spot.

The feeling of something stuck in the throat can happen at various times but for me at least, it is always associated with eating too fast. Slow down, take small bites, chew well, and check in with your body frequently as you eat. The real signal you are looking for is a feeling of fullness and the cessation of hunger.

I won't say I NEVER drink when I'm eating, but really I can't take more than a single sip of liquids when I'm eating or there just isn't any room for food. If you're not feeling that way, if you're able to eat and drink at the same time, is another strong indication that you haven't even reached the sweet spot yet.

It also sounds like you are struggling with head hunger quite a lot. That's the other thing I love about the band, when it's adjusted right, head hunger gets cut way back. The band pinches the vegas (sp?) nerve, which sends hunger signals to your brain. That's one way I can tell that it's time for another fill - when my head hunger starts to resume. (Slowed weight loss would be another sure-fire indicator.)

Please do get another fill and let me know how it goes! Yes, fills can get pricey but if you don't get fills then you are not getting the value out of the band, the investment you have made in the surgery and recover time to actually lose the weight you set out to lose.

Good luck!

Kathy

Update: As of this week I have lost 200 pounds! Only 34 more to go to get to my goal weight! YAY!

Kathy, you are a complete inspiration to me. Your journey is probably the most successful weight loss with the band I've ever read, and your pictures are awesome. I'm having surgery soon, and hope I can someday report a similar story. Thank you!

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

WOW! That is amazing, Kathy! Such an inspiration! :thumbup: