Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Rush in bandland!

I met my goal to lose 50 pounds before Oct 22. That is when we go on vacation. I'm so excited. We are going to see my husbands family in California, and most of them haven't seen me since 2005.

WTG! I bet they won't recognize you!

I was banded on 8/17/10. Have lost 24lbs so far. Congrats to my fellow August Bandsters who have done so well. Isn't "closet shopping" great!!

I have noticed that those in "bandser hell" seem to not have fills often or not have much in their fills. My doc is very aggressive with restriction, he put in 1cc during surgery, 3.5cc 4 weeks after surgery, and another 1.5cc this past monday. I have great restriction, I'm back on mushies today then tomorrow regular food. Not hungry, eating about 800 calories a day. Maybe you should have a talk with your surgeons and tell them point blank to give you better restriction. Remind them that you went through surgery because you couldn't just do it alone and if you don't have good restriction that is what you are being forced to do! Be more aggressive for yourself, don't just take the doctor's words to be law, you are the patient and you have to be an active participant in your band management.

Remember this is a process, you didn't get fat overnight, I know it seems like it :thumbup:, you won't get skinny overnight either (actually I need to take my own advice here, I'm so impatient, I want to see the scale move down every day)!

I guess we are all going through the same thing. I do need to suck it up and just keep on trying, even though it does feel like I paid a lot of money for this lap band diet.

MSDV (Dee),

You say your port "is so close to the skin"....can you see it? Mine is obvious! You can see right where it is and it sticks out. I find myself holding pressure on it too and it seems to help with the tenderness. I wonder if I wore something that fit tight during exercise if that would ease the pain...maybe a cami under my shirt.

Yes, you can see my port very clearly under my skin when I don't have on clothes. I imagine when and if I finally get to goal it will stick out like a golf ball because it's almost there now.

When I was trying to work out :thumbup: I wore one of those ab braces and that kept my port pretty stable.

Your lucky you got Ins...I was self pay and at this pint in my journey I feel like I just paid $5400 for another diet...I sure hope my fill coming up works, I need to start exercising but cant find the motivation :thumbup:

I know I'm fortunate to have insurance. I'm grateful. I am soooo feeling that just another diet thing but I read that many feel that way. I too need to get more aggressive with my exercise. I know that will help a lot to increase the losses.

Thanks I'll try that. I guess it's normal then huh?

I read in another post that they have to muck out a lot of stuff to get that port where it is . So I feel that it will take a while for it to heal completely. I always brace my port with a towel or I hold my hand over it if I'm bending or something because I'm also paranoid of flipping it . I know it's not that easy to do but I just try to be careful.

I met my goal to lose 50 pounds before Oct 22. That is when we go on vacation. I'm so excited. We are going to see my husbands family in California, and most of them haven't seen me since 2005.

Congrats on that 50 lbs.

I guess we are all going through the same thing. I do need to suck it up and just keep on trying, even though it does feel like I paid a lot of money for this LAP-BAND® diet.

Yeah, Laurie we have a lot of company in our misery on our expensive Lap-Band diet.

Just like we're going through this together hopefully, we'll all start dropping it like it's hot together real soon.

Dee

MSDV- I have a dumb question. I know when some people get close to goal they get a low profile port so it's not as noticeable. Does insurance cover this and why don't they use them to start with?

Just curious:) If any of you know the answer feel free to chime in.

way to go Tylee oh I mean Monica!

Edited by kellyodoran

Hi! I just found this forum a few days ago and it has taken me this long to read through all the posts. I was banded August 3. My story is a little different than all of yours. About 10 days post-op I awoke lying in a pool of drainage. I had an "uncontrolled pop". :ohmy:I was started on antibiotics and it healed. I went in on Sept. 15th for my first fill. I didn't get it, my port had flipped. :ohmy:I had surgery on Sept. 27 for a port revision. Monday, Oct 4, my incision started oozing, then later I felt something "pop". :ohmy:Saw the surgeon yesterday and he thinks I popped a stitch on the inside loose. Put me on antibiotics again. I am scheduled to see him next Wed. for hopefully my first fill.

In the meanwhile I am down 40 lbs since my pre-op visit. Bought smaller clothes.:thumbup:

MSDV- I have a dumb question. I know when some people get close to goal they get a low profile port so it's not as noticeable. Does insurance cover this and why don't they use them to start with?

No question is a dumb question if we don't know we don't know and I don't know :thumbup:

I have read of people getting a low profile port when they get a Tummy Tuck or whatever. In my mind I would think that insurance would not cover a lower profile port just because.

I think that may fall in the category of cosmetic surgery. I really don't know.

When I get to goal I know mine will be very noticeable as it already is but if it doesn't bother me I won't bother it. I already know no matter how much I lose I will never be able to wear a bikini and that's the only way I can see it bothering me.

My thighs are shot not for public display :thumbup:

It seems they should use them from the beginning , maybe it has something to do with a bigger port being more accessible for fills.

Sorry for all your troubles Joycie but congrats on the loss of 40 lbs.

My first fill is tomorrow afternoon. I am really hoping for 3ccs. I will update everyone tomorrow night!

Hi! I just found this forum a few days ago and it has taken me this long to read through all the posts. I was banded August 3. My story is a little different than all of yours. About 10 days post-op I awoke lying in a pool of drainage. I had an "uncontrolled pop". :ohmy:I was started on antibiotics and it healed. I went in on Sept. 15th for my first fill. I didn't get it, my port had flipped. :ohmy:I had surgery on Sept. 27 for a port revision. Monday, Oct 4, my incision started oozing, then later I felt something "pop". :ohmy:Saw the surgeon yesterday and he thinks I popped a stitch on the inside loose. Put me on antibiotics again. I am scheduled to see him next Wed. for hopefully my first fill.

In the meanwhile I am down 40 lbs since my pre-op visit. Bought smaller clothes.:thumbup:

Congrats on the loss!! I hope your problems stop now.

I'm right there with you all. I got my first fill 2 weeks ago and have lost 2 lbs. It's discouraging. I thought I would finally start moving after that first fill but I'm right back to being able to eat more than I should. I'm trying not to eat too much and am sticking to about a cup per meal. But I'm feeling the same way as all of you. Just hoping that it's just the slow start that I have heard about. Just wish it would hurry up already!!! lol

I was banded on 8/17/10. Have lost 24lbs so far. Congrats to my fellow August Bandsters who have done so well. Isn't "closet shopping" great!!

I have noticed that those in "bandser hell" seem to not have fills often or not have much in their fills. My doc is very aggressive with restriction, he put in 1cc during surgery, 3.5cc 4 weeks after surgery, and another 1.5cc this past monday. I have great restriction, I'm back on mushies today then tomorrow regular food. Not hungry, eating about 800 calories a day. Maybe you should have a talk with your surgeons and tell them point blank to give you better restriction. Remind them that you went through surgery because you couldn't just do it alone and if you don't have good restriction that is what you are being forced to do! Be more aggressive for yourself, don't just take the doctor's words to be law, you are the patient and you have to be an active participant in your band management.

Remember this is a process, you didn't get fat overnight, I know it seems like it :thumbup:, you won't get skinny overnight either (actually I need to take my own advice here, I'm so impatient, I want to see the scale move down every day)!

Hello,

Aggressive fills are great, but with that being said The Dr can only put in what the band is willing to take and the patient is able to drink with Fluid going down. Id rather lose a smidge slower...mind you i get mad if i don't lose any weight, because i don't want to lose my hair or have saggy skin losing to fast. I have 2ccs so far after my first fill and im losing again...maybe ill get a cc next fill, it is up to them and my band

lost about a half lb more!!! anything is good!!! And onederland is good too . Now if i can get 10 lbs off in a month ill be pleased.

I wish my Dr would have used a low profile port it there really is such a thing. Mine already looks like I swallowed a golf ball. I do not have much weight in my middle to start with. I carry the pounds below the waist! .....as the song goes......."Little in the middle but she's got much back" :thumbup:

On my first visit after surgery I asked if it would always stick out like this or if it was because of swelling and he said it would get more noticeable as my weight dropped. He also told me that once he had to reposition a port because it was so noticable and he placed it between her breasts! I cant imagine it being there!!! I also cant imagine going through surgery again just to have a smaller port.

I am now in "bandster hell"! :biggrin: I can eat just about anything if I eat slow enough. I received my first fill on Oct. 4. Will be getting another by the surgeon on Oct. 18. I'm going to talk him into being a bit more agressive if that's possible. I'm only down 10-15 lbs and I mean if fluctuates! I hate it. For Pete's sake, I'm going on a cruise in early March and I've got to get this weight off! I'm getting enough Protein in. However, I need to make myself exercise. I know that is part of the key. Thanks for all of your posts.