Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Rush in bandland!

Excited, Janelle?? Tomorrow we join y'all!! I have to be there at 7:30 a.m. Eek!

Good luck tomorow! You will do great. The surgery was a lot "easier" than I expected. Maybe becuase I had psyched myself up beforehand but it went really smoothly.

Best of luck to you!

Hey all....

I'm moving on the the "Puree" stage shortly. I recently had a bariatric nurse (not part of my surgeons office) tell me that crackers were OK (saltine's) in the puree stage because they practially disolve in your mouth before you swallow them.

I was surprised and a bit cautious....has anyone else been told this??

Thank you Melissa! I'm a bundle of all kinds of emotions right now..... And I can't sleep! Have to be there at 7:30 a.m. and it's after 3! Uggggg

I live in Silver Lakes (Helendale), off the 66 between Barstow and Victorville. Where did you live?

I lived in 29 Palms, by the Marine base! I had a horse boarding facility on 10 acres!

Never thought about freezing pickle juice. Sounds like a good idea.

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal is an excellent website that you keep track of calories eaten and burned. As well as helping you reach your goal weight.

I had my post-op appointment w/ my Dr. today. He said everything looks good. I can start pureed foods Tuesday and I scheduled my 1st fill for Sept. 3rd. I go in monthly to visit and discuss fills/unfills to get to my sweet spot.

I asked him about the pain I'm having right in the middle and he said it was from the retractors with the liver and should go away in the next couple of days. Keep walking to get the rest of the gas out. I was also cleared for exercise, no limit, which is exciting! I can't wait to start Couch to 5K. I was given the Ok to move to ready to make Protein shakes and bought a few by Pure Protein they have 35g of protein in each shake. So, I think I'm on my way!

How's everyone else doing?

Are all of you already counting calories and keeping track of carbs and stuff? I was under the assumption that right now its just about healing and since I cant eat a whole bunch of stuff to not worry about all of that. I know when I get to the solid food stage I will need to be more conscience (sp?) but for now just to get some foods in during each stage while you are healing.

Anyways, Im feeling pretty good today. Down 31 lbs and people are starting to notice too! That makes me excited! Im still having some gas issues- it hurts right in the middle of my chest and also the same spot in my back too. although Ive been sleeping on my back a lot so it could just be that my back needs to be popped but I dont want to try that yet.

Its amazing to me how much better Im feeling now that Im drinking my Protein shakes too.

....Anyways, Im feeling pretty good today. Down 31 lbs and people are starting to notice too! That makes me excited! Im still having some gas issues- it hurts right in the middle of my chest and also the same spot in my back too. although Ive been sleeping on my back a lot so it could just be that my back needs to be popped but I dont want to try that yet.

Its amazing to me how much better Im feeling now that Im drinking my Protein shakes too.

Great job with your weight loss!! I'm down 10.4 lbs since 8/1 when I began the pre-op diet. I am thankful for this weightloss...and look forward to more to come! :)

My surgery was on the 10th...and went really well. They said it went smoothly, although I had a slight hiatal hernia that they sewed up while they were in there. The only complaint that I have right now is that I also have the gas in my back....it feels like I need an adjustment too! I think I'll give it another week before I go to the chiropractor! I also have the one in the chest too...but usually not as bad as the back one. When I feel it get really bad, I go into the Child's Pose (yoga....although I've only done yoga formally one time)...but this helps get the gas out. hahaha....I'd rather it out than trapped inside causing me all sorts of weird aches!

I haven't been super hungry yet....the day of my surgery, I just had ice chips. The next day (first day pre-op), I just had Clear liquids. Yesterday was my first day (for 14 days) of other liquids...like the Protein Shakes, puddings, yogurts, Soups, etc. So far, so good! :w00t: I definitely am glad that I followed the pre-op diet so strictly....b/c now I don't feel like it is an inconvenience. I am excited to begin the mushy stages too....and keep thinking of all the different things I can blend to make mushy! :w00t: hahahah....Right now, a boiled egg with mayo sounds really great right now! :w00t: hahaha....But I'll keep on keepin' on! :w00t: It's going to be GREAT!

Good luck for everyone having their surgeries today! I'm sure you'll all come out on the other side EXCELLENT! :)

Im soooo not a person that can take foods and just blend it up to make it mushy. I have a HUGE problem with food textures and the thought of blending stuff up jsut grosses me out. But I am going to make some pickle popsicles- thanks for the idea Amanda!

I'm day 2 post op and I have a couple of questions. I'm not hungry at all, I have no desire to eat. Yesterday I had 2 11 oz shakes and some crystal light, today, I've had 1 11 oz shake and a yogurt. I've been able to take all of my medications (I take about 6 pills a day for my heart) and everything seems to be going down fine. I'm certain that I'm not eating/drinking enough but I don't feel like it. Has anyone else experienced this in the first few days? I am having gas issues too, I feel really bloated and uncomfortable. I've been taking gas x strips, they seem to help. I also gained 5 lbs since surgery, it's gas and liquid, right???? I figured I'll have a big loss when my body gets back to normal...I hope!

I didn't have too much during the first few days post op either. I just didnt feel like it.

AmberK – I am counting calories, but it’s more from an informational standpoint, than a control standpoint. I had long given up dieting before the surgery, so had forgotten most of what I knew about the amount of calories foods contain. I’m not really censoring what I eat, just keeping tabs on it. No judgments, no beating myself up. I am counting my Protein, religiously, and managing to get in over 90 grams of it a day. I think you’re right – this time is more about healing than it is about weight loss, at least that’s what my RD said. Congrats on your loss! You’re doing great. I still have to lose about 15-20 more pounds before people will start to notice, although I can already fit into jeans I haven’t been able to wear in several months!

jennay5180 – It was almost a week after surgery before I felt really hungry. And if I eat on some kind of reasonable schedule, I’m not really getting hungry most days. I’m torn between eating regularly (as recommended by my doctor’s staff and most nutritional experts) and not eating when I’m not hungry – Isn’t that how I got to be this size??? I’m looking forward to mushies, too, but not to pureed food! I’m not going to be able to just puree my regular food. I think I’ll just stick to reasonably soft food mushed with a fork.

Lap2Fab – I did experience the same thing my first few days. I only ate because I knew I needed the nutrition; I was not hungry at all. Now, 10 days out, I’m getting a bit hungry, but not terribly. The couple of times I got too hungry, I made some poor food choices. Luckily, everything went down okay and I suffered no lasting effects from eating off my plan. If you’ve gained weight, it is most likely fluids and gas, and yes, you should see a big loss when your body regains it’s natural balance. How much are you walking? Because that made all the difference in the world to me and my gas issue.

Good luck to everyone -- recently banded and soon to be banded!

Lap2Fab,

I can feel it going down in the morning, especially. It's tighter then and I just sip a little lukewarm coffee. coffee addict here! Then I have one of those 3 oz Protein Plus whey tubes from Target to get in the Protein and that's it for the am. Then I have a Muscle Milk for lunch. I can get it all down but am definitely full by the time it's done. I'll probably have a popsicle soon and then another Protein shake for dinner, or tube if I'm not shaky. I don't ever feel hungry, but I do get shaky which tells me I need to eat.

I'm digging this no hunger thing. It's a relief. I know it's short lived but I love it! There was something else you asked but I can't remember....hope this helps!

Oh I know what it was! I haven't weighed at all because I didn't want to be discouraged with surgery gains and I figure it will level out by next week so I am trying to wait till then...

And... I'm banded! Craziness!!

I went in at about 9:15 a.m.... Was in r

ecovery by about 10.... And got home close to 11:45 a.m. :) I'll write more later--about to get up for a walk then rest some more. So far so good!!!